Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jj1955 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2010, 09:13 PM
    Inherited real estate
    My wife and two sisters inherited there mothers house last month when she passed away. One would like to sell the other two would like to rent it out. I was told by someone that if they sell this year they would not have to pay any taxes, but if they rent and then sell a year or two from now they will have a big tax bill. Do you have any insight on what they might do?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 22, 2010, 07:15 AM

Because of quirks in the way that the estate tax has been abolished for 2010 only, since your mother-in-law died in 2010 the cost basis of the property for the heirs is set equal to her cost basis, which is likely to be a low value. Consequently when the heirs sell, they will likely owe capital gains on the sale. This is true regardless of whether they sell in 2010 or later. However, the tax rate on capital gains is most likely going to be higher for them in 2011 than it is now; consequently it may be beneficial to sell in 2010 rather than 2011. However, you must balance this against the possible income the property could make if you were to hang onto it. I suggest that your wife and her siblings work up a business plan for keeping the property, and see if the income will pay for the carrying costs (insurance, real estate taxes, repairs, etc), and make enough to be worth the hastle of renting the property out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inherited real estate tax [ 2 Answers ]

When real estate property is willed to relatives, but not children or siblings, of decedent and they wish to sell said property, what are the federal income tax ramifications?

Capital gains tax on inherited real estate [ 1 Answers ]

In may of '03, my father quit claimed his home to his 4 kids, on the tax rolls it was valued at 75k. In July of 09 he moved to a nursing home and we started to clean and fix for a sale which happened in May of 2010 @ 120k. Each child received a check for 29,679.00 after fees.How do we figure the...

Tax rate on Inherited Real Estate Property sold in Ecuador [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Wondering how much income tax I will pay on the sale of a real estate property in Ecuador? The property is listed at $500,000.00, and is an inheritance. I am a US citizen.

Taxes on sale of inherited real estate [ 1 Answers ]

We are selling the farm/residence we inherited from my father.what taxes are we going to be required to pay here in Virginia?

View more questions Search