Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bstephenson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2010, 06:54 PM
    Lawn tractor troubleshooting
    My lawn tractor clicks when I turn the switch but does not crank. This was sporatic at first but now it does it 100% of the time. I thought is was a bad solinoid, so I changed it out. Started once or twice and now we are back to clicks and no crank. Changed out the battery too. Dumb idea as now I have a louder click but no crank. Any ideas?
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Jul 2, 2010, 05:24 AM

Did you check you heavy gauge (large wire) connections on both the battery and the solenoid you changed, remove and deposits and ensure they are tight. If these are good, verify your starter ground connection as well.
    If all these check out, you may need to remove your starter and have it bench tested. (Do NOT hammer on it as some people like to do-this only guarantees you will have to replace it)
    Mowbetter Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2010, 10:08 PM
    If you've replaced the solenoid, disconnect the positive (large red) cable from your starter and check for 12vdc at the end of this wire. If you have 12v here when turning the key, the issue is in the starter, as the previous tech mentioned. Briggs starters are particularly troublesome here... good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I troubleshooting my MTD lawn tractor? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi There, I have one MTD lawn tractor for many years. It is a MTD 14.5/42” 7 speed model. It stopped working during cutting the grass recently, and then I could not start this tractor any more. After then, I had replaced the new battery, new air filter, and the new spark plug. I had changed...

Troubleshooting Sears Lawn Tractor [ 10 Answers ]

Troubleshooting Sears LT with a 17.5 2006 B&S Engine.Unit won't start. Isolated problem to fuel solenoid on bottom of carb. How is the solenoid wired into the system? Is there an interlock safety switch that might be the culprit?:confused:

Sears lawn tractor troubleshooting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sears 917273170 tractor and I need to locate the interlock switches for the brake/clutch

Mtd lawn tractor troubleshooting [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 2008 MTD lawn tractor that has recently began slowing to a stop and then a very slow crawl while going up hill. It still moves and mows well in the flatter and gentiler grades although at times the speed will decrease even then. This machine used to take the uphill slopes with great...

Lawn tractor troubleshooting [ 9 Answers ]

I replaced the motor in my 13 year old Honda lawn tractor with a brand-spankin new one. With some trepidation I turned the switch and that baby started right up and purred like a kitten! The problem? It wouldn't turn off! Using the switch was useless. The only way I could turn the mower off...

View more questions Search