Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nessa714 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2010, 02:25 PM
    Different name on social security card and birth certificate
    My birth certificate has my first and last name only but my s.s card has my first name and last name but it also has my moms last name as my middle name. I never use it but I don't know if it's easier for me to put on my birth cert. Her last name as my middle name or should I just take it off my s.s. Card? But what if I get married soon and want to change my last name. Should I wait or what should I do ?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 22, 2010, 09:44 AM

I see no point in bothering to change any of these documents, yet. If/when you get married, you will start the name change process with your ss card - at that point you will need to decide (once and for all) what your new legal name will be. Then once you have your new ss card, you can use it as proof to change your drivers license and passport. Meanwhile your birth certificate simply remains as is, with your name as your mother specified when you were born.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth Certificate different last name from Social Security Card [ 7 Answers ]

I hope I'm on the right forum for this question and I really hope someone can help--I went to the DMV recently to file for a address change on my license, the DMV told me that since the name on my social security card didn't match the name on my license, I would not be able to update my address and...

Can I use my birth social security number? [ 1 Answers ]

Prior to my adoption I had a social security number. Can I use my old social?

Social security card [ 1 Answers ]

1. A person who cannot write his or her name and can only sign the application with an x needs to have __ witnesses, who need to __________. 2. what type of proof is required for a duplicate card? 3. acceptable documents for proof of identity include? I need 10 documents. 4. unacceptable...

View more questions Search