Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    louise0306 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2010, 07:18 AM
    Can a board member of a 501(c) get contracts with the 501(c)?
    We have a board member that has a current contract with the 501(c) that he sits on the board for. Is this legal, ethical, allowed?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 21, 2010, 08:21 AM

The ethics depends on the circumstance, and yes, it is generally legal. However, a well-run charity will have a written policy in their by-laws about this. It should state that board members serve first for the interest of the organization, that they do not receive renumeration for their service (with the exception of any employee ex-officio members ), and that potential conflicts of interest should be avoided. At the very least the contract between the board member and the organization should be reviewed and voted on by the full board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

501 c 3 [ 2 Answers ]

We started a "German Shepherd "Rescue" last year. We are filing a 501c 3 for our group. However, there is a 501 c if you earn under 10,000 Dollars and one if you make over 10,0000 Dollars a year. We spent over 10,000 dollars last year, all the money going to care for the dogs. At the end of the...

501(c)(7) [ 3 Answers ]

Situation: Non profit corporation organized for over 30 years has never filed for 501(c)(7) recoginition and has never filed 990's (probably has not met requirements to file before. Is wanting to do a one time sale of standing timber. Should 1024 application be made for existing corporation or...

501(c)3 [ 6 Answers ]

Hey everyone: I was wondering if anyone could possibly translate some of the 501(c)3 IRS jargon into English? I can do the legwork if I knew what is needed. I really don't want to pay in excess of $400 for someone else to draft some documents for me that would only take an hour or two to...

View more questions Search