Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jun 20, 2010, 11:51 PM
    Tips on weaning
    My kittens are just about 12 weeks old. Edith, their mom, STILL lets them nurse. They don't need to. They've been eating food and drinking water for a couple months now. I think it's more of a comfort thing for them. Edith's showing no interest in deterring them.

I usually catch one or two of them nursing at a time a couple times a day. Sometimes it'll be a day or more between me seeing a particular kitten nursing. It seems to happen more at night, but that may just be because that's when I notice the most.

I've tried pulling them off her when I notice it. I've tried making her stand up so she'll walk off. I've even tried squirting them with a spray bottle. Nothing's worked so far.

I need the kittens to be fully weaned. Edith needs to get fixed, but that can't happen until her milk dries up.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I'd prefer ones that don't require me to constantly follow her around pulling kittens off her. I do have to go to work and sleep.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 21, 2010, 12:08 AM

In my experience, the mother cat has always kicked the kids away. If Edith isn't protesting...

Here's at least verification of your supposition from a site on weaning kittens --

"It's harder to make them leave Mom alone, if she's around, because they still like to go to her for comfort and security, and will continue to try to nurse on her as long as she'll tolerate it. If they don't leave her alone, after they're okay with the solid food, you can remove Momcat from the vicinity for a few days until they're used to her being gone."

Maybe if she gets nipped with their kitten teeth, she will begin to object. Are only certain ones nursing, or just anybody who can fling her to the floor?
    Experts

Jun 21, 2010, 12:20 AM

I've seen them all nursing, but spot is the worst. Either they're all really good about not biting, or she just doesn't care. She doesn't do anything to prevent them from nursing. Sometimes, she'll get up, but she never tells them to stop or swats at them or do anything else if they follow her.

Spot's almost as big as her, already. He'll probably be at least as big as her, if not bigger, by the time he hits 6 months. Zoe's only a little smaller than spot. If I don't find SOME way get them to wean, then they're going to be bigger than her and still nursing.

Keeping them apart just isn't an option. The only way I could do that is to lock edith in the extra bedroom, and I just couldn't do that to her. Not only is it not fair to lock her in what is basically an empty room, but with the days getting hotter and hotter, I don't think it would be safe to lock her in a room that gets all the afternoon and evening sun and has no fan.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 21, 2010, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    i don't think it would be safe to lock her in a room that gets all the afternoon and evening sun and has no fan.
    No, that would definitely be cruel in all sorts of ways.

When I used to hang out at Laleche League meetings back when I nursed my second child, there were mothers who were nursing four-year-olds. That creeped me out.

Can you wrap and pin a thin dish towel around Edith's midsection?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2010, 03:52 PM

Let nature take its course. She will wean them herself.
    Experts

Jun 21, 2010, 09:31 PM

I've actually been thinking about getting a baby shirt or something and putting it on her.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 21, 2010, 09:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    i've actually been thinking about getting a baby shirt or something and putting it on her.
    A baby shirt would be open at the bottom so the kids could sneak up underneath. Buy a baby thing that has snaps that would be at her navel and under her neck so there would be no "droop."

This need might be an invention worth applying for a patent. Hmmmm.
    Experts

Jun 21, 2010, 10:53 PM

A pinned towel would just slide off, though. She's a very slinky cat and would manage to crawl out of it in about 5 seconds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lightening dyed hair tips (tips are almost black) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have medium auburn hair naturally. I dyed my hair a dark auburn but there is a section of my hair where the tips (two inches from root to tip) is almost black. I want to lighten these tips. Would using Peroxide Volume 20 mixed with shampoo do this?

Weaning a baby [ 1 Answers ]

Can my six month old baby take juice?If yes what kind?

Weaning off Vicodin [ 1 Answers ]

Been taking Vicodin 10mg 4 or 5 a day for 4 months :( now I'm trying to quit and I found when I stop taking them it's awful! The withdrawal symptoms are gut wrenching! I heard about a Weismann Method, but I can't remember what it is, can someone help me figure out how to ease the symptoms?...

Weaning kittens [ 3 Answers ]

I have decided to keep one of the kittens from my cat's litter and need to know how to ween her from the mother. The mother cats desperately needs to get back on her Front-line. The fleas are starting to take over again and she is very allergic. She is starting to lose her hair. I do quite a...

Weaning kittens [ 2 Answers ]

I was just wondering what is a good food to start weaning kittens on There only 4 weeks but there mother isn't milking that well so I was wanting to feed them and let them nurse too

View more questions Search