Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2010, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Welcome to the thread Rick J. Good to have your input and have fun !!!!
    Hey CalD:eek: Tried to use a bow today . Oh my goodness. That thing is way to heavy for me and hard to pull back... I'm not sure.. but I think I killed my sister in laws cow!! :eek::eek: Kidding
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 23, 2010, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    Hey CalD:eek: Tried to use a bow today . Oh my goodness. That thing is way to heavy for me and hard to pull back....I'm not sure..but I think I killed my sister in laws cow!!!!:eek::eek: Kidding
    There are different types of bows. So if your looking to get into it you can find one like a compound bow that may meet your needs. But cuddos for trying. They can be a lot of fun.
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2010, 12:01 PM
    There are different types of bows. So if your looking to get into it you can find one like a compound bow that may meet your needs. But cuddos for trying. They can be a lot of fun.
    No... I don't think I'll try the Bow again. Bengay is my best friend right now.:D
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 23, 2010, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    No...I don't think I'll try the Bow again. Bengay is my best friend right now.:D
    And I had you pegged for an Icy Hot person. :o
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2010, 12:17 PM
    Depends on the money you have to invest really. Many people like the AK47 platform. You can do tons of stuff with it and lets face it they are known for slinging lead downrange :)

SKS is another platform. The initial guns are cheap and you can customize them any way you like.

The only problem with semi auto's right now is they are so fun to shoot you can burn through ammo (expensive) like crazy. On the bright side any build your wanting to do no matter what platform you choose you have a great amount of choices you can make. They even have dedicated AR's in a 22 cal platform so they are cheap to shoot.
    Thanks for the input. I would really like to get an AK47. I think that would be my best bet. So that may be my next gun. I bought an SKS a couple of years ago for dirt cheap and it was in perfect condition but I added a lot to it and it was a lot of fun. When I first got it, box of shells was $3.95 per box. Now they are $6.95 per box. So the whole time I am shooting I am saying, "35 cents, 35 cents, 35 cents" It kind of hurts when you think of it like that but it is fun to shoot.
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 23, 2010, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_89 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I would really like to get an AK47. I think that would be my best bet. So that may be my next gun. I bought an SKS a couple of years ago for dirt cheap and it was in perfect condition but I added a lot to it and it was a lot of fun. When I first got it, box of shells was $3.95 per box. Now they are $6.95 per box. So the whole time I am shooting I am saying, "35 cents, 35 cents, 35 cents" It kind of hurts when you think of it like that but it is fun to shoot.
    The only advice I can offer on a AK47 build is watch what you buy in the first place. I found out recently that the barrels came in different grades for accuracy. Another is ammo. But having owned a SKS you already know that. It pays off in the long run to shoot the modern non corrosive type. Plus not as much cleaning going on. The ammo for that platform is still at decent pricing so you can have a great shooter and still shoot it ;)
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2010, 12:39 PM

That sounds good then. I want to buy that one, I also want another 45 cal. or a 9mm. I have 2 45's but one I don't like and another one is about 65 years old and I would like to keep it to the side and get another one to play with. My 9mm is a Jiminez and I am not to impressed with it.
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 23, 2010, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_89 View Post
    That sounds good then. I want to buy that one, I also want another 45 cal. or a 9mm. I have 2 45's but one I don't like and another one is about 65 years old and I would like to keep it to the side and get another one to play with. My 9mm is a Jiminez and I am not to impressed with it.
    If your looking for a 1911 taurus makes a good one. They run around 600 us. Also it depends what you like. Real steel or tuppaware ;)

If you like steel then I would recommend a S&W 5906 for 9mm. Also baretta makes some nice 9mm too. 92fs are very nice :)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2010, 06:00 AM

Remember to consider ammo prices.

I have a Walther P22 that I just love for the range or tin can shooting in the woods. They run about 4 cents each for a box of 525.

Of course the .22 is not going to offer me much "protection" but it's fun to shoot - and getting good with it also helps with my Walther PK380.

.380 rounds are about 40 cents apiece unless I can find them (which is rare) at WalMart for 19-23 cents each.

9mm and .45 rounds are even more expensive.

I love the .380 because of the decent price of ammo - and it's ability to put the bad guy down if I ever need it for that purpose.

As for a .45: Yes I know it's fun, but dang, those rounds are expensive!. and of course the gun itself is not cheap.

Just my 1.5 cents worth on the issue. I'm biased: I think .380 is the best bang for the buck (pun intended :) ) for both personal protection and fun shooting.

As for personal protection, remember this: If the bad guy is wearing armor, then it does not matter whether you have a .380 or a Desert Eagle .50.

Armor aside, 2-3 rounds into the center of mass, whether it's from a .380 or something bigger: Bad guy is going down.
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2010, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    Remember to consider ammo prices.

I have a Walther P22 that I just love for the range or tin can shooting in the woods. They run about 4 cents each for a box of 525.

Of course the .22 is not going to offer me much "protection" but it's fun to shoot - and getting good with it also helps with my Walther PK380.

.380 rounds are about 40 cents apiece unless I can find them (which is rare) at WalMart for 19-23 cents each.

9mm and .45 rounds are even more expensive.

I love the .380 because of the decent price of ammo - and it's ability to put the bad guy down if I ever need it for that purpose.

As for a .45: Yes I know it's fun, but dang, those rounds are expensive! ... and of course the gun itself is not cheap.

Just my 1.5 cents worth on the issue. I'm biased: I think .380 is the best bang for the buck (pun intended :) ) for both personal protection and fun shooting.

As for personal protection, remember this: If the bad guy is wearing armor, then it does not matter whether you have a .380 or a Desert Eagle .50.

Armor aside, 2-3 rounds into the center of mass, whether it's from a .380 or something bigger: Bad guy is going down.

RickJ... A lot the gun shows we have here maybe three or four times a year has cheap ammo. Kmart has some too. Some of the Army Surplus stores have ammo. You're right it's expensive... Kit

http://www.hotfrog.com/Companies/Bridgeport-Guns-Ammo
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2010, 12:45 PM

I usually buy my ammo at walmart for my .45 for about 34 cents a piece. (A box of 50 for $17.00)
    I buy my 9mm ammo elswhere for about $10.00 for a box of 50. I usually go to knob creek a couple times a year and buy my SKS ammo because they usually have it cheaper.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2010, 07:14 AM

I get mine by the case from AMMOMAN.COM d/b/a Discount Distributors

I buy it by the case... between 9mm, 7.62 x 39 and .223 , I have a few other lesser used sizes I only buy by the box I use them so rarely. Like 8mm Mauser and 12 gauge.

Better to have more than you need, than need it and not have it.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2010, 09:26 AM

Dang. I've checked the prices on all of the sites recommended above - and find that WalMart beats them all for 380 Auto rounds.

... so I'll stick with WalMart and keep checking their stock every few days on my way to the office, to build up my surplus. Thankfully, they were in stock earlier this week, so I bought another 200 rounds. I'll just keep buying rounds from them when they've got them.

To clarify, I'm paying 23 cents per round for "range rounds". They're 95 grain but have the flat head on them. No problem in my mind as I'm confident that even with range rounds, the bad guy will go down if he's hit in the chest with 2-3 of them.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2010, 09:32 AM
    No problem in my mind as I'm confident that even with range rounds, the bad guy will go down if he's hit in the chest with 2-3 of them.
    At the very least if he's high on something... it will slow him down enough you have time to get a few more off if needed.

And that's what matters most.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2010, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    At the very least if he's high on something.....it will slow him down enough you have time to get a few more off if needed.

And thats what matters most.
    Yep, I hear you.

And despite that I'm armed, I know the first and most important option if the situation warrants it: Run Away.

I'm no Rambo. I've never shot someone and hope to never have to. If running away is an option, I'll do it. If drawing the gun to make the bad guy run away, that's the next best option.

I hope and pray that I never feel the need to both draw and shoot.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2010, 10:12 AM
    Yep, I hear you.

And despite that I'm armed, I know the first and most important option if the situation warrants it: Run Away.

I'm no Rambo. I've never shot someone and hope to never have to. If running away is an option, I'll do it. If drawing the gun to make the bad guy run away, that's the next best option.

I hope and pray that I never feel the need to both draw and shoot.
    I've never actually been in that situation where I had a gun... so yeah its hard to know for certain until you have been what you would do and how.

Yeah, it's a strange state of mind to be in at that moment.. particularly in retrospect. I HAVE been in a stituation many years ago where I was assulted by two bigger guys (no guns involved) and I was ready to kill one.. the other limped away on his own.. what stopped the incident wasn't any moral code or fear... It was a neighbor that came up from behind me as I started a started to pull a Mickey Mantle home run with the guys head with a steel bar, early enough the guy just got cold cocked and was hauled off in an ambulance (for his other injuries as well) because I never got the swing off in full before I was wrestled to the ground. And damn, that is a scarey frame of mind to have, because I was calmly ready to kill the guy at that moment. I've actively managed to avoid getting to that state of mind ever since... I know what I could do in the circumstance... I don't know how I would deal with it later. And I really don't EVER want to go there again. It was over 30 years ago... and I can remember it like it was yesterday. Thank god for several years of martial arts training.

But like you know... when you or your family is at risk.. particularly in your own house.. then all bets are off.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2010, 10:41 AM

Amen, brother. I know well that if it came down to me having to draw my gun, I'd probably be shaking like Don Knotts in The Shakiest Gun in the West.

... but hopefully I'll do the right thing.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2010, 10:56 AM
    Amen, brother. I know well that if it came down to me having to draw my gun, I'd probably be shaking like Don Knotts in The Shakiest Gun in the West.

...but hopefully I'll do the right thing.
    The one time I was that close... I wasn't shaking... I was dead calm and focused (almost tunnel vision type of focus)... oh later was a different thing yeah a half hour later I had the shakes as bad as you imagined having... but the focus, clarity and calm I had at that moment scared the hell out of me in hindsight... because I am rarely that focused and calm usually... and never when I'm upset or angry (yeah I am an excitible person)... and the fact I can still remember it so vividly even decades later.
    eawoodall Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Oct 1, 2010, 01:09 PM
    1> all handguns are pistols.
    2> revolvers or semi automatics.

Here is a story, somoene pulled a gun on me, I knew the make and model of it, and exactly how it comes apart to clean. I released the magazine, moved the slide forward slightly, then caught the magazine before it could leave the gun with one finger, returning the slide to the rear, and slappled the magazine back into the gun afterward with my finger, and took the slide off the gun, in one deft motion, per the person I 'disarmed'. You can see something similar with jet li in one of the lethal weapon movies, but I did it first. But I know no one believes me. It is okay. As highest ranked martial artist in the world I am often doubted, I mean the guy did not even see take the gun apart, but he was standing there holding a frame, with a magzine in it
    eawoodall
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 1, 2010, 06:59 PM

Good story above, not that I believe it, but good story.

But that is what they teach at the academy is that no one knows what will happen, which is why prisons try to be careful on who they pick to be in the towers where they may have to shot an unarmed person running. Not something anyone wants to do I am sure.

But I have had to pull a weapon on someone many times over my life and career and it is one of those things, if you are not sure you can pull the trigger, you have no business carrying one.

The story above is a prime example, if a weapon is pulled it should have been used if and when the other person did anything aggressive ( if that is why you have it pulled)
    Which of course is why I am alive to day, the other people who have pulled one on me before, paused or hesitated instead of pulling the trigger.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tell me could this be a sign of a electrical fire getting ready to start? [ 3 Answers ]

OK I am smelling smoke in my house but I can't see it and we have had problems with the electrical wiring for sometime now and the outlets smell like burning plastic all of the outlets smell like that and the outlets are warm to touch Oh and the breakers are not shutting off even when the...

Air aim not working how can iget on aim on my psp [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best aim for psp

My best friend Aka Sister [ 1 Answers ]

Why Doesn't she want me Or love me. Why doesn't she like me the way that I do. But is with and cares for others.

Weird Food Combinations aka Gun Control LOL [ 257 Answers ]

Okay, this may not be a combo exactly but I salt my cantelope melon. . Oh, now here is one, and my hubby likes peanut butter and iceberg lettuce sandwiches! :p Fried Mars bars?? :eek:

View more questions Search