Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2010, 07:40 PM

I went for the 380, it was my last back up weapon, the light weight one that fits into the protective vest hoster,

I would normally have used a 9 mm or a 40 for home defense, but it is a matter of being used to one weapon, I still carry the 380 almost all the time, practice with it, I also keep a small belt of my 12 gauge shells in the safe, so it is a matter of using the 380, till I break the glass on the shotgun display, load it and have it to use. But I do have my bullets specially hand loaded for max stop that I can get from it.

But with that, I have a high profile security system, window and glass alarms, door and motion alarms, all zoned for day or night or away. It is a moitored system that has live voice connection to the home. It is even wireless so they can't cut wires to get past it.

What I have found in most of the local shoot outs, they happen at less than 12 feet, most miss 80 plus percent of their shots. So it is having a weapon you are used to, one you shoot round after round out of, so you feel good about using.

I even practice without my eye glasses, and low light to simulate night shotting getting out of bed.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 20, 2010, 07:40 PM

Did they both have the double/single action?

I agree, gun safety is so important. I would never want to be the cause of someone un intentionally killing or hurting themselves. Especially if it was my kid. That's actually my biggest fear of having a gun in my home. My father has had guns in their homes, well forever. He was an under waters weapons tech, he has all kinds of neat 'toys'. He is actually ecstatic that I am starting to show interest in this.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 20, 2010, 07:45 PM

Not sure if they both did because the first link was messed up for me. Its posted as a bad link.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2010, 07:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Did they both have the double/single action?

I agree, gun safety is so important. I would never want to be the cause of someone un intentionally killing or hurting them selves. Especially if it was my kid. That's actually my biggest fear of having a gun in my home. My father has had guns in their homes, well forever. He was an under waters weapons tech, he has all kinds of neat 'toys'. He is actually ecstatic that I am starting to show interest in this.
    I remember when each of my brother turned 12 my Dad would buy them a 22 rifle. We never touched them. Dad showed them how to clean them and take care of them. That was back when boys could go hunting in the mountains or with a grownup. My husband likes automatics. I like my little 38 lady smith and I''m a darn good shot.

Dad believed in equality when it came to teaching us girls about guns. We knew the rules of gun safety. And we followed them.
    Dogs Expert

Jun 20, 2010, 07:51 PM

Which one were you able to look at? The longer barreled one? That's the one I liked the best.

Kit, I think it's great that your dad showed you all how to shoot. It's kind of a rush eh?

Chuck, have you guys always had guns in the house, and does your wife own or shoot? Do you guys go to a gun range?
    Expert

Jun 20, 2010, 08:10 PM

Grew up with guns, had them in the house growing up, ( no locks, no cabinets we just knew better, heck at high school, most of us had guns in the Pick ups in the gun racks sitting in the school parking lots. ( grew up very country)

But yes, I have had small armory at the home in years past, everything from muzzle loaders, to some antique collector auto weapons, to assault weapons.

Toni hates guns, so except for self defense, some hunting weapons and those I have for when the world goes to ruin in 2012. I sold and got rid of most of them shortly after we got married.

The over board security on the house and guns is for her benefit. She does carry mace and has started martial arts.
    Of course I am ( or was) a master at martial arts, and had to use them a few times with her around, and she understands the need for self defense.
    Dogs Expert

Jun 20, 2010, 08:13 PM

Wow, umm do you guys live in a bad area or something? Why for her? If you don't mind me asking.
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2010, 08:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Grew up with guns, had them in the house growing up, ( no locks, no cabinets we just knew better, heck at high school, most of us had guns in the Pick ups in the gun racks sitting in the school parking lots. ( grew up very country)

But yes, I have had small armory at the home in years past, everything from muzzle loaders, to some antique collector auto weapons, to assualt weapons.

Toni hates guns, so except for self defense, some hunting weapons and those I have for when the world goes to ruin in 2012. I sold and got rid of most of them shortly after we got married.

The over board security on the house and guns is for her benifit. She does carry mace and has started martial arts.
    Of course I am ( or was) a master at martial arts, and had to use them a few times with her around, and she understands the need for self defense.
    Wow FC.. that's great. My husband has a bicentenneial muzzle loading rifle and a pistol. I'm too impatient with those. Mom kept a Baretta in the house after Dad passed away and she knew how to use it. I wonder what is the best hand gun you can buy, that is also easy to handle. I had a two shot derringer... gave it to my oldest daughter.. My husband said "might as well throw a rock at somebody". That derringer fit right into the palm of my hand.
    Dogs Expert

Jun 20, 2010, 08:19 PM

Do you guys in America have to license and register your guns?
    Expert

Jun 20, 2010, 08:30 PM

I am in Georgia , I have to have a license to carry mine ( since I am no longer a law enforcement officer) you have to have a background check to buy one, ( unless you have a permit to carry). So no permit to buy or own one. Or have it on your own property.

The which is best is sort of a "ford" vs "chevy" issue, I love Glocks, carried one for years and years shooting over 1000 rounds a month and never a single jam. ( keep clean and repalced spring often) Back in the "Federal" days I called a SW revolver which is a great fun gun, but not enough available bullets per load, and much slower reload time.

Well for 5 years Toni and I lived in the middle of the "hood" the worst part of Atlanta, I caught more felons within my own block on my days off, there were local jokes from the street officers. We had hookers on the corner a few houses up, some male prositutes, had homeless all over, they even stole christmas lights off my bushes in the winter.

Some silly people had the idea to rob me every once in a while. One day, sitting on the porch, someone visiting Toni had left her purse in her car, someone walking down the street, broke the window and grabbed the purse, I was sitting right there on the porch by the car. He for some reason thought he was going to stop me, he hit me ( I guess as hard as he could) on the forehead, almost between the eyes. I just looked at him, That look in his eyes, the fear of god, like I am going to die now, Toni still laughs about it.

Well lets just say, we discussed his hitting me and breaking the window for a while,

Now the bad thing, Toni called the police but they were too busy to come, yep, too busy for a simple breaking into a car.
    I am off duty and not within my jurisdiction at the time, so I can't even legally arrest him.

So we discussed his actions a little more, and he was ready to repent to Jesus at the end of our discussion. So I let him go
    The police did finally come about a hour latter to see what had happened
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2010, 08:31 PM

If you carry a gun you have to have a permit. When you buy it, it is registered. A license and a permit is the same thing. You also have to take a gun safety course in order to get a permit.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2010, 08:46 PM
    It depends on on the state. In New Hampshire, if you're a resident, then you can walk into a gun store and buy a gun; no license, no background check, no firearm registration. Private sales between known parties is legal, too. To carry a concealed weapon and transport it in your car, you need to have a license to carry. Otherwise, you can carry it openly like a cowboy.

The license to carry is just an application to your local police department with a sentence saying why you want it. If you weren't convicted of a violent felony recently and pay a fee, you'll most likely get it.
    Dogs Expert

Jun 20, 2010, 09:19 PM

Wowsers. So is it true on 9-11 (the documentary) some places like in Texas, hand out guns at the local banks with new accounts?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 20, 2010, 09:20 PM
    I have to admit, I haven't read the entire thread...

What kind of gun to you want? I have probably shot it.
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2010, 09:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I have to admit, I haven't read the entire thread....

What kind of gun to you want? I have probably shot it.

A .357 magnum.
    Dogs Expert

Jun 20, 2010, 09:28 PM

I want a smith and Wesson. A revolver with a longer barrel. That's as far as I got.
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2010, 09:31 PM
    I want a smith and Wesson. A revolver with a longer barrel. That's as far as I got.

Clint Eastwood comes to mind when I think of a .44 magnum.. He's 200 years old and still a hunk.:D
    Dogs Expert

Jun 20, 2010, 09:39 PM

Agree!
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2010, 09:47 PM
    Agree!

I like guns... we have a few. My kids know how to shoot and so do two of the grandsons. Course they have to go to a gun safety class to get a license to deer hunt. I could never kill a deer.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2010, 12:17 AM

V has to get his gun license for his new job... All I can picture is him running around buildings pretending to be an army man or something.
    He's already excited about getting a baton (aka whacking stick) while he waits for his license :rolleyes:

Friend of mine used to go out hunting Roo and Possum every weekend. Dogs loved it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tell me could this be a sign of a electrical fire getting ready to start? [ 3 Answers ]

OK I am smelling smoke in my house but I can't see it and we have had problems with the electrical wiring for sometime now and the outlets smell like burning plastic all of the outlets smell like that and the outlets are warm to touch Oh and the breakers are not shutting off even when the...

Air aim not working how can iget on aim on my psp [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best aim for psp

My best friend Aka Sister [ 1 Answers ]

Why Doesn't she want me Or love me. Why doesn't she like me the way that I do. But is with and cares for others.

Weird Food Combinations aka Gun Control LOL [ 257 Answers ]

Okay, this may not be a combo exactly but I salt my cantelope melon. . Oh, now here is one, and my hubby likes peanut butter and iceberg lettuce sandwiches! :p Fried Mars bars?? :eek:

View more questions Search