Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dincher Posts: 163, Reputation: 12

Jun 20, 2010, 01:35 PM
    Was I rude..
    I have a friend overseas and we usually talk during the weekends and exchange packages during holidays, birthdays, etc.

We've known each other for about 5 years and I feel pretty close to her.

Yesterday, I received a package from her, and it had a mug that was dirty and even had a fingernail in it.

I mentioned this to her (thinking that maybe the store she bought it from was unkept, etc), but my mentioning it to her didn't come out right. She tried to joke and say that she bites her fingernails so she doesn't know how that one winded up in there. THen she adds, "that was a mug I had lying around the spare room and so I put it in there".

I know I sounded rude in bringing that up, but I found it more rude to give someone a used gift. This is someone whom I had always sent nice gifts to - like on her birthday, I gave her a nice HD camera.

I don't want to sound mean or ungrateful, but this is how I feel.

Then yesterday, she asked me to add a friend of hers on my Facebook - her friend happens to be a lesbian from the UK who is married to another female. I told her that I don't feel comfortable asking her (or anyone else who I don't know) for a friendship when I don't know them. That she may think I"m prying into her business (as she has photos of her lesbian wedding up), and I want to respect her privacy.

Then I joked, "Well maybe I can ask her for advice when I tell her that I want to marry you". (Of course I was joking as I'm straight).

Well my friend goes like, "eeeewwwwww". And I said, "What do you mean, ewww, am I that ugly"

And she just starts to laugh.

I don't know - I just wonder how rude she was, or if I was the one who was rude in joking about her friend and mentioning the fingernail in the used mug.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 20, 2010, 01:59 PM

Are you kidding me? Let this go!
    positiveparent Posts: 1,136, Reputation: 291
    -

Jun 20, 2010, 02:18 PM

Exactly you're friends please be one.

I agree that if you add friends to Facebook you should know who they are.

Also do you know the gift was a used one? Also it's the thought that counts. Just say Thank You..
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2010, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by positiveparent View Post
    Exactly youre friends please be one.

I agree that if you add friends to facebook you should know who they are.

Also do you know the gift was a used one?? also its the thought that counts. Just say Thank You..

Stay friends...
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2010, 02:37 PM

The whole marriage and laughing thing is something that is more personal, some people take it seriously when its not meant to be and reverse.

On the other hand, when you give something as a gift, you should do so not expecting anything in return. If you don't like the gifts she sends, talk to her about that, however, by definition a gift is something given, not exchanged.

The lesbian friend, I don't add a lot of people my friends want me to add. If I don't know them, I don't bother.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2010, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by InfoJunkie4Life View Post
    The whole marriage and laughing thing is something that is more personal, some people take it seriously when its not meant to be and reverse.

On the other hand, when you give something as a gift, you should do so not expecting anything in return. If you don't like the gifts she sends, talk to her about that, however, by definition a gift is something given, not exchanged.

The lesbian friend, I don't add a lot of people my friends want me to add. If I don't know them, I don't bother.
    I'm not on Facebook, but if I were I don't think I would add people I didn't know!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Who was rude? [ 7 Answers ]

It happened at a good friend’s daughter’s 8th birthday. The visit before the birthday my friend had talked about her daughter’s hair and how she couldn’t get it to do anything and it always looked messy because the daughter wouldn’t look after it. So I figured I would get her daughter some hair...

Why did he have to be so rude? [ 14 Answers ]

Why did my ex have to be such a jerk? I sent him an email this morning... people told me not to do it, but I am weak I guess... told him I was working on being less passive-aggressive, could he send me my stuff from the house, wished things could have worked out but if he has moved on nothing...

Who do I tell to get out, without seeming rude? [ 4 Answers ]

I am going to try my best to make this a short as possible. but it is still really long, so sorry about that. Okay, well to start I don't have a big house. me and my husband have a very small 3 bedroom house. and not even big bedrooms. And as of right now it is over packed. My...

How rude! [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, so the girl I have been "hanging out with" has been obviously avoiding me for the past 3 weeks... cool. She has been saying "I have just been really busy, sorry"... no biggie. I go to a show tonight and have to stop in a bar to use the ATM and who do I see there?. HER. I was kind of shocked in...

View more questions Search