Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pwd77 Posts: 185, Reputation: 3

Dec 12, 2006, 09:31 AM
    Proper underlayment for vinyl floor starting at floor joists
    What is the proper way to build up a floor to prepare for vinyl flooring? I'm building a mud-room in the garage attached to the house, 5' by 13' .

Presently I have the joists installed and am ready for subfloor. I am planning to use 3/4" T&G UDL plywood, glued to joists with construction adhesive and screwed in with 2" screws. I was then going to sand and fill where necessary, then put the vinyl directly on top.

Do I need to put another layer of 1/4" plywood on top of that, or if it is smooth, just put the vinyl directly on top of the 3/4"?

Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

----------------------------------
    6:42 PM

At this point I have no replies, but am pretty sure I answered my own question. Vinyl will require 1/4" underlayment on top of the 3/4" T&G subfloor.

For any amatueurs like me, it is well explained here:
    http://www.umass.edu/bmatwt/publicat...erlayment.html

Still, any comments or suggestions would be welcome!
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 16, 2006, 09:47 AM
    You did the right thing. Its difficult for me to post everyday. Been a busy week.
    Make sure the 1/4" is nailed 2" along the seams and 6" in the field of the sheet.
    A air stapler works great for that.
    pwd77 Posts: 185, Reputation: 3

Dec 16, 2006, 10:09 AM
    No worries, thanks for the feedback!
    I will attempt to get ahold of a stapler and compressor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing black adhesive from floor before installing new vinyl tile [ 6 Answers ]

I have a bathroom (at the church I belong to) that has a hard type of vinyl tile in it. A toilet has overflowed 2 times in the past and flooded the floor. As a result, a lot of the tile has come loose. I have the replacement VINYL tile, but need to know how to continue. Under the tile is black...

Subfloor?underlayment for tile floor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm remodeling a bathroom and have replaced some rotten subflooring (1 x 12 planks). Now I want to install a tile floor. Should I affix cementboard directly to my subfloor or do I need a layer of plywood? Should I use mortar to attach the cementboard to the subfloor/plywood? Thanks!

Cantilever floor joists [ 6 Answers ]

I wish to replace the flat picture window in our house with a bow window. I want to extend the floor by sistering the existing joists and extending them out 24 inches from the wall. There is one catch though, the existing joists are imbedded in the concrete wall of the foundation. Any ideas out...

Drilling floor joists [ 1 Answers ]

I work for a central vac center as an installer and my boss says it is OK to drill 2 1/4 in holes in joists vertically and horizontally. He also tells me to drill in any board, laminated, tji, beams, anything. Is there codes for this?

Running Drain pipes through 2 x 8 floor joists. [ 1 Answers ]

I am doing an addition and need to move my 3" drain pipes. My question is can Holes be cut into the floor joists (2 x 8). to accept the 3" pipes. The pipes are for the upstairs bathrooms.

View more questions Search