Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elite86 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2006, 07:47 AM
    Cd drive problems/hard drive
    I'm using windows xp pro
    I've got a lite-on combo cd drive :E

Basically I tried 2 fix my e drive because it wasn't reading cds (on dvds) and I think I put a virus on my computer

When I tried 2 restart it came up with something like..
    Windows cannot start up properly due to a recent hardware of software change
    Please start windows using
    Safe mode
    Safe mode and networking
    Safe mode with command prompt
    Start using most recent settings
    Or normally

All lead basically to the same error message
    \windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt
    Put in the original SETUP cd and press are at 1st screen to repair

Sooo basically I don't have the original disk
    I don't mind formatting the hard drive and putting it back to windows 98se (which I have disks for)

I have tried using the system restore floppy and cd but the computer won't read the cd!

I don't know if getting a new cd drive will solve the problem?

Help?

Shaun
    cyberslider Posts: 45, Reputation: 6

Dec 12, 2006, 10:49 AM
    It sounds to me you have the wrong driver installed for that model DVD drive I would remove the drive from the system and see if windows would start then if it does then I would go to www.drivers.com and get the driver for that driver and reinstall the drive then when windows starts up again a say found new hardware tell it where to find the driver you downloaded. Be sure all the driver controller cables are plugged in tight and pin 1 on the cable goes to pin 1 on the drive. It is the driver that makes the drive read cds and dvds not the hardware if the drive is an older dvd drive then chances are it will only read -R discs not the +R discs
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2006, 10:59 AM
    There are no drivers required for CD/DVD drives to be recognized by Windows. It would appear that you had a Registry coruption if we go by the error message that you received. If you have a good boot floppy that installs basic CDROM system files then you should be able to access the DVD drive, if not then the drive could be faulty... or your BIOS may not have DVD drive support.
    elite86 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2006, 08:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberslider
    It sounds to me you have the wrong driver installed for that model DVD drive I would remove the drive from the system and see if windows would start then if it does then i would go to www.drivers.com and get the driver for that driver and reinstall the drive then when windows starts up again a say found new hardware tell it where to find the driver you downloaded. Be sure all the driver controller cables are plugged in tight and pin 1 on the cable goes to pin 1 on the drive. It is the driver that makes the drive read cds and dvds not the hardware if the drive is an older dvd drive then chances are it will only read -R discs not the +R discs
    Thanks for the answer, and if I could get further than the error message I would download a driver :) just need 2 figure out how to format it would a non working drive
    answermelater Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2010, 09:39 AM
    I have seen this case before. You have a virus that has deleted a file in your regestry
    There are very few ways to fix it.
    Do you have a spare internal hard drive?
    Or a windows operating system card?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Hard Drive [ 4 Answers ]

My Question is : I have a 40gb hard drive. I have some music, and some pic's. My hard drive has 13% free. I can't believe I 'm using 29gb for that. How do I determine what to clean and how do I do it?

New hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

If I put a hard drive in a different computer how do I make the motherboard recognize the new hard drive Thanks

Cannot see hard drive [ 6 Answers ]

I have a compaq desk pro en trying to load win 98 . Promt says I have no hard drive or cannot read hard drive What could be wrong?

View more questions Search