Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jun 19, 2010, 07:48 AM
    Keeping pesky porcupines away
    So the other day my dog had a painful run in with a porcupine. Yeah... Not fun! Anyway my dog is contained and trained with an inground petsafe fence. The inground fence covers 1000feet of our property which my dog Rex loves to have that much freedom. Anyway I know that it can only keep him in but it can't keep other animals out. Its unfortunate but I just do not have enough money to fence in our property... And since I'm still a student and living with my parents it wouldn't really be my choice to fence it in.

So I'm wondering is there a way to put something down around the buried wire that would deter porcupines? Some sort of food, spray, anything? It would have course have to be safe for animals, as my cats come and go as they please.

Thanks everyone!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 19, 2010, 09:52 AM
    Poor puppy!

Here's a couple of products with different modes of action. One tastes BAD, the other smells like foxes(porcupines' natural predator). I have no experience with either, so please let me know if you choose one and how well it works.

Ropel Liquid Porcupine Repellent, ropel spray, porcupine spray, porcupine repellent

Safe Porcupine Removal - All Natural Deterrent

Jun 19, 2010, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Poor puppy!

Here's a couple of products with different modes of action. One tastes BAD, the other smells like foxes(porcupines' natural predator). I have no experience with either, so please let me know if you choose one and how well it works.

Ropel Liquid Porcupine Repellent, ropel spray, porcupine spray, porcupine repellent

Safe Porcupine Removal - All Natural Deterrent
    Thanks. I'll have to check around here for stuff like that. I don't have a credit card so to order stuff online I have to borrow my brothers. You don't know of anything that would be a deterrent that I would find in stores or even at home already do you?
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2010, 09:51 AM

Maybe try Ammonia, it's cheap and very strong smelling.

Porcupines love salt (which is also cheap) maybe you can lead them some where else with a salt trail:)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 29, 2010, 12:02 PM

I'm sorry, Rex. I missed the question about homemade repellants. Try products containing eugenol or eucalyptus oil. Those seem to work on other wildlife and you should be able to find some products at your local Big Box store.

Edit: Dahlia, thanks for answering the one I missed.

Jun 29, 2010, 04:05 PM

Thanks everyone!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pesky moles [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get rid of moles in my flower garden? I've already killed one, well my husband killed one. I was just wondering if I should expect to see more and if so , how can I get rid of them? My lilies are looking and smelling so great and I don't want the moles to destroy them. I've never had any...

What to do with a pesky cat [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a mobile home and there are several cats around.There is one in particular that has made a hole in the siding larger and goes under the trailer. My dogs go berserk,we have our back yard fenced in,our dogs do not run loose at all. We put a small board over the hole to keep her out,and she...

Got another one of those pesky emails. [ 18 Answers ]

Would like comments on this, cites sources Subject: Taxes

Pesky crows [ 2 Answers ]

Dear People, how do I limit crows activity? They managed to scare all the other birds away and we no longer hear happy chirping... All answers are greatly appreciated. Helen

Pesky little fleas! [ 4 Answers ]

My poor baby has fleas, bad! We live in Texas and there is a HUGE flea problem. She had a visit with the vet today and he recommended Frontline (which they sold there at the office). I put it on her immediately when we got hime. She still seems to be itching but she has so much hair it's hard to...

View more questions Search