Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Jun 18, 2010, 01:46 PM
    Grounds for breaking my lease?
    My apartment flooded for the second time this week. The first time was last summer. This time it was much worse, It's now 3 days later and they still have my carpets pulled up with fans blowing underneath them to dry them out. I went and talked to the employees in the leasing office, and they said that it probably has something to do with a stream runnig nearby, and that my and 3 other buildings get this occasionally. Is this grounds for me to break my lease without penalty, since they haven't been able to fix the flooding problem?

Also, Maintenance was in my apartment yesterday without my permission, or giving me notice. They came in and moved my furniture so the other parts of the carpet would dry. When they originally came to wet-vac the carpet, they said they would be back "tomorrow to check the carpet" and then 2 days later they entered my apartment without notice of permissions while I was at work. I went to the office to talk to them about this today, and explained that I wasn't okay with them entering without notice, and they told me that "in situations like this, they have to" and didn't seem to care. Would this be grounds to break my lease?

Jun 18, 2010, 01:46 PM
    By the way, I'm in the state of Michigan.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2010, 06:05 AM

Hello r:

Can you break you lease?? Probably not. They have the right to enter your apartment with notice or in the case of an emergency. They're calling your wet carpets an emergency... Ok...

Plus, I don't think the flooding you're experiencing is enough to break your lease... It MIGHT be, though. The only way to find out for sure, is to actually BREAK it, move, wait till you're sued, and see how the judge rules.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2010, 06:12 AM

How long have you lived there? I doubt if this is enough to break your lease, but its certainly grounds for not renewing.

It also appears that they are working at dealing with the issue in a timely basis. As for entering the apartment, this would qualify as emergency maintenance.

Jun 19, 2010, 06:41 AM

I lived here for about 18 months. I had a 1 year lease, and then renewed for another year. When I renewed, I assumed that since last year, the flood problem had been fixed.

There have also been 2 fires, which I didn't include because I know they can't control that, and several power outages to the building. Not the area, just my building and one other. For about a 6 month period, we would regularly lose power for about 5 hours once every 4-6 weeks. It'd been stable for about 2 months now, so I believe they have that fixed finally...

I guess I'm not really planning on staying, though. I don't think I can handle the threat of this happening again, or the musty smell I've been forced to sleep in for the past 4 days. It's amazing how different this place is from last year...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2010, 06:59 AM

Hello again, r:

If you have ANY hope of breaking your lease, the events you describe would have to be DOCUMENTED, so when and or if you are sued in court, you can show a PATTERN of mismanagement, wherein the total of that mismanagement is sufficient to have breached the contract...

But, if you didn't complain THEN, complaining about it NOW ain't going to work.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2010, 08:20 AM

The key to breaking a lease is to show that the landlord has allowed conditions to deteriorate so as to create an uninhabitable condition. I don't see that being the case here.

You can ask if they will let you out of the lease early or offer a buyout.

Jun 21, 2010, 11:02 AM

I'll take those into consideration. Thanks guys!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have grounds for breaking a lease [ 3 Answers ]

I currently live in a village outside of Madison, WI. I have been living in the condo I rented for about 8 months now. In the early spring I had issues with my bedroom window leaking through the trim, which caused damage to the drywall and saturated part of the carpet. They stated they didn't...

Breaking Sublease On The Grounds Of. [ 12 Answers ]

I'm trying to break my sublease with my subletter on the grounds that the house itself is too loud. I believe this is a violation on my Right to Quiet Enjoyment and my safety. When I spoke to this person about the sublease, she claimed that everyone in the home will be quiet and out most of the...

Is moving to another city grounds for breaking a lease in Florida [ 2 Answers ]

I signed a 12 month lease in October 08. I have been offered a job in another city,about 42 miles away... Can I legally break my lease without losing security money or paying a buyout?

Breaking a lease prior to occupancy.lease already signed [ 13 Answers ]

Help. My question is this... i signed a lease to rent a single family home... i gave a 200.00 deposit to hold it/toward security. I am unable to move into the home because i have to go out of state for a very ill family member (mother). ive tried to contact "LANDLORD" several times when i heard of...

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

View more questions Search