Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jun 18, 2010, 11:22 AM
    It was a long night...
    So last night I let Rex out for our normal game of catch, it was approximately 7:30. We were playing and I was talking to my mom, when all of a sudden my mom yells, ''watch out''. Here out of the blue a huge pork-u-pine(not sure on spelling) comes onto our front lawn, and Rex runs after him. When we finally get Rex away from the creature I grab him and leash him. The pork-u-pine stayed under our step and Rex cried, and cried. He had quills in his mouth, on his face, and on his paws. Despite my best efforts at trying to keep him still, he pulled some out himself. My mom called the vet and of course it closed at 5:30, so we got some lady from somewhere else. She said she would paige one of the veteranarians and he would call us.

Finally like an hour later he called and told us he was on the way to the vet and we would meet him there. All the while the pork-u-pine stayed under our step and I held Rex trying to get him to stop crying near the car. It was horrible, my dad was scraming, Rex was crying, I was crying. As soon as we got the call we took him to the vet. The veteranarian was there already and promptly picked him up and sedated him. After pulling out about 10 quills(Rex had gotten the rest out himself) the doctor gave him something to wake up. But Rex didn't wake up, so the vet woke him up. As soon as he was set on the ground he laid down and slept, I got him out and managed to get him to the car where he passed out again. We got home he had enough strength to walk in the door and passed out, I was surprised the vet let us take him because the whole night his tongue stuck out of him mouth, he didn't have enough strength to get up and go to the door and so he had 2 accidents.

Luckily he's more awake today, and his tongue is in his mouth. Here's my fears, he isn't eating much, could this be because his mouth is sore? He seems to be very timid and cries when he's not in our house.
    Also where the vet shaved his leg to sedate him, he's been licking it profusely and it got kind of raw, so I wrapped it is that OK?

PS: It cost $220 to take out the quills isn't that ridiculous? It was like 9:00pm when we got to the vet. It was $100 just because it was after 5:30pm.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2010, 11:39 AM

:) porcupine

I'm so sorry that your pup had to go through that! And wow 220$ that is expensive!

I think he is just really tired and traumatized from what just happened. Give him cuddles and try and feed him by hand and just encourage eating. Maybe he'll eat tomorrow when he feels a lot better.

I'm sure his leg just itches him. Have you ever shaved and then the next day your so itchy? I get like that...

I wouldn't stress too much about it, I'm sure he'll be okay tomorrow :) Get well soon Rex♥

Jun 18, 2010, 11:50 AM

Yes it is expensive! And I have to renew his vaccinations again next week for 70$.

I have been worrying about him so much.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2010, 09:46 AM

Oh my gosh how scary Rex!!

I'm glad we don't have those little buggers here.

I wouldn't wrap his leg personally... It sounds like he might have a bit of clipper rash, quite common after shaving them.
    Do you have any antiseptic cream? Just rub a little of that on it.

I reckon his mouth would just be sore that's why he's not eating. Have you tried some soft food? I give mine soaked dry food if they have a sore mouth, or even some breakfast cereal soaked in some milk, just to get some food into them and up their blood sugar.

Jun 19, 2010, 10:57 AM

I took the wrap off his leg and just put some antiseptic stuff on it.

He's eating a bit more today, and yesterday we went for a walk on the beach and it seemed to make him feel a bit better. Outside he's still a bit timid. And indoors our house, he's seems pretty scared. He has the body language showing that he is scared. His steps while walking around the house used to be quick and loud, but now they're slow, careful and silent. Even when he shakes to get his loose hair off its so eerily silent.

And he just seems to lay down a lot. Like when we eat, he used to come over and beg... But now he just sleeps under the table.
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2010, 11:21 AM

Just treat him like normal.
    Don't act like there is anything wrong, and don't baby him. Just rough him up and try and get him to play like normal, make him think he's being scared over nothing.

It might take a while to forget about it, especially since where the quills were would still hurt, but he will eventually.

Jun 19, 2010, 01:18 PM

I was just in the bathroom, and when I came out my mom was sitting next to my dog.

She told me that Rex had went to the door, and was moving his tongue a lot. She looked in his mouth and here was a quill, she pulled it out and he stopped licking, but where would he have gotten the quill?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 19, 2010, 01:22 PM

The quill was probably in there the whole time, from when he had pulled out some himself.

Jun 19, 2010, 01:28 PM

That's what I figured at first, but I remember the doc pullin' his tongue out and looking really really good, and I myself saw that there was none left. And when mom took it out she took it out of the tip of his tongue.
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2010, 01:30 PM

He could have pulled it out and it somehow ended up under the couch, or outside somewhere and he has found it. Do a double check under all the furniture ;)

Jun 19, 2010, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    He could have pulled it out and it somehow ended up under the couch, or outside somewhere and he has found it. Do a double check under all the furniture ;)
    They couldn't have gotten inside. As from the time he was hit with quills until the time we left for the vet I waited outside with him, the porcupine remained under our step and we were unable to enter our house.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 19, 2010, 01:34 PM

How's he doing now?

Jun 19, 2010, 01:35 PM

He seemed to get scared again after my mom pulled out the quill, and he's been laying down since then.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 19, 2010, 01:48 PM

The poor dog has been poked by the bad guy as well as the good guy. He doesn't know where he can be that is safe. Give him lots of love. Lie down beside him and cuddle with him.

Jun 19, 2010, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    The poor dog has been poked by the bad guy as well as the good guy. He doesn't know where he can be that is safe. Give him lots of love. Lie down beside him and cuddle with him.
    I will! Respect shazamataz' opinion, but my dog has helped me through so many things in my life by being by my side. And I'll return the favour for him. I just feel like I should have protected him from this, and I couldn't, but I can at least help him to feel safe again.:)
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2010, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123 View Post
    PS: It cost $220 to take out the quills isn't that ridiculous?
    No, it's not.

Jun 19, 2010, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariss View Post
    No, it's not.
    What is the price, up where you live?
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2010, 01:55 PM
    What is the price, up where you live?
    It would probably be about the same, though we like to put them right under to take quills out because 9 times out of 10 there are some buried under the skin or broken that need to be cut out. Or way back in the throat.
    The after-hours fee is pretty standard. Without an emergency clinic nearby, small town clinic vets need to come in from home to do calls like that, and the price is pretty static across the board.

Just keep an eye on your pooch and look for any swelling that may be an embedded quill they missed.
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2010, 02:01 PM
    I will! Respect shazamataz' opinion, but my dog has helped me through so many things in my life by being by my side. And I'll return the favour for him. I just feel like I should have protected him from this, and I couldn't, but I can at least help him to feel safe again.:)
    No problem... I would probably do the same thing if it happened to me :o
    It's not your fault at all, I hope you don't think that!

Our after hours vet is pretty expensive, you have to think though, they could have been in bed, or in the middle of having dinner when they have to rush into the surgery.
    If I had have taken Cyrus in tonight when he got bitten I would have expected about $150, just for an antihistamine injection.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 20, 2010, 09:29 AM

Sorry to hear about your buddy Rex, but I am glad to hear he is doing okay! Max got stuck a few years back, it was ridiculously expensive. It was like 10 pm and out vet had to drive an hour into town to meet us at the vet office. He had to be put under, we almost lost him, the vet had to give him an adrenaline shot to bring him around.

After being sedated it's quite normal for them to be a little lethargic and not too hungry. Just make sure he has plenty of fresh water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My wife stays out all night long. What can I do? [ 57 Answers ]

Been married 3 years, bought a house 1 year ago, we have a 2 year old child. One month after moving into the house, intimacy ends, two months later texting and Facebook start to affect our marriage. An argument ensues. I sleep on couch for a few days. A serious talk happens and she says she...

I think my wife had a one night stand, (long story) [ 54 Answers ]

Well this is a question I am sure has been asked a million times on this site. But now I am going through it and I am falling apart. Me and my wife been married for 9 years and have four children. We have a great relationship and get along great. We have had our ups and downs when we were...

Long time to recover from a night out [ 4 Answers ]

I don't drink alcohol all week and usually go out with friends on a Saturday, admittedly consuming too much ! However, my question is this... why does it take me until Monday night/Tuesday morning to feel 'normal' again. I long for bed all day Sunday, don't sleep well and then wake up on Monday...

View more questions Search