Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rmatos195 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2010, 09:40 AM
    Can a 100 amp load center be used as a sub panel with a 60amp main breaker?
    Hello, I`m triying to add a sub panel to my existing main panel. There is no more room in the main panel for circuit breakers and I wanter a sub panel with at least 10 more spaces.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 18, 2010, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rmatos195 View Post
    Can a 100 amp load center be used as a sub panel with a 60amp main breaker?
    Absolutely.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2010, 06:36 PM

I'm having a hard time interpreting the question so let me give an answer.

The 100 A panel can be fed from a 60 A feeder breaker. There is no need to change the 100 A main breaker in the sub panel to 60 A.

Jun 19, 2010, 03:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    Absolutely.
    Thank you.

Jun 19, 2010, 04:46 AM
    I have a 100A main circuit breaker panel with no more room for breakers...
    I was thinking to add a sub panel right beside of the main panel. I know that I will have to remove at least 2 breakers from the main panel to add a bigger amp breaker to feed the sub panel, I was thinking to use a 60A double pole breaker. It`s hard to find a sub panel with a 60A main breaker with at least another 16 circuits, so I was going to use a 100A panel and change the main breaker to 60A. Someone also sugested to me that I did not have to change the 100A main breaker to a 60A in the sub panel. I would also like to find out what type and gauge wire should I use from the 60A breaker on the main panel to the sub panel.

Thank you.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 19, 2010, 06:03 AM

Whoa!

You really need to have an electrician do a load calculation on your entire service as it is setup now. Than factor in what you propose to do.

Just adding breakers and sub panels without knowing your calculated load could very well overload your main service panel and cause a fire.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 19, 2010, 06:14 AM

KISS,

This is a duplicated question. More information is contained in the second posting.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2010, 09:19 PM

I guess they are all here now.

Rmatos:

There are two types of panels. A main lug and a main breaker panel. Main lug panels don't have main breakers.

When using a main lug panel as a sub-panel, an optional ground bar kit usually has to be purchased and the neutral-ground bond screw removed.

#6 copper can be used for 60A.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

200 amp main panel: 2 100 amp subpanels? [ 1 Answers ]

I was asked to by a homeowner to help with a wiring project. She has 1 200 amp main panel and 1 100 amp subpanel. Both are full yet she needs more circuits for a bed n' breakfast. Can another 100 amp subpanel be installed?

Load Center Main Lug or Main Breaker for the Attic [ 5 Answers ]

I have a large attic (on 3rd floor), 38'x28', which is unfinished space. The 2nd floor central air-condition is located there and used to be fed by a 60 feet of 12/3 cable (I changed the cable to 10/3 to reduce the chance of voltage drop) and it's fed by a dual 15A breaker (240v breaker) in the...

100 amp sub panel from 200 amp main panel [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 200 amp main panel. We added another floor and decided to add a new sub panel of 100 amps. Is this OK? Should the wire gage be different from 100 maps? Your help is appreciated.

New main breaker load center - grounding [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have a fuse box that I want to upgrade to a main breaker load center. My house is in the country so I have a pole with the meter and a service disconnect. From the service disconnect it braches to my barn, well pump, and the house. (Following the main into the house) Inside on...

125 amp subpanel - can a 60amp main breaker be used? [ 6 Answers ]

My question is in the title. Here are the details, I bought a 125 amp sub-panel but I only need 60 amps. The main service panel is 200 amps. I ran a 6/3 awg wire to the sub-panel. Can I install a double pole 60 amp breaker in the main panel to power the sub-panel or do I have to use a double pole...

View more questions Search