Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2010, 02:08 PM
    And yet again, instead of being part of the solution the Feds are being a part of the problem.

Federal Gov't Halts Sand Berm Dredging
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2010, 02:32 PM

But the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Department has concerns about where the dredging is being done.
    I guess the fish and wildlife the berms will protect is of no concern .
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2010, 06:01 AM

Hello again:

I wonder, IF the position held by Joe Barton IS mirrored by MOST Republicans, why they're embarrassed by it, and why they keep tamping it down.

You guys aren't embarrassed, are you?

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2010, 06:50 AM

Hello again:

I wonder, IF the position held by Joe Barton IS mirrored by MOST Republicans, why they're embarrassed by it, and why they keep tamping it down.

You guys aren't embarrassed, are you?

Excon
    Nope... I call em' as I see em' .

And as you pointed out ,the Republican Study Committee said essentially the same thing.

Since Barton is retaining his position on the Energy Committee, I don't think the GOP is contrite . Barton is safe .Going to the woodshed was taking one for the team.

These apologies are postures.And the Dems Kabuki dance over-reaction is a distraction to hide a failed energy policy.

What is a shakedown ?
    A shakedown is a stronger party ignoring good faith negotiations and instead forces a weaker party to bend to it's will.
    There were ,as far as I can tell, no favorable terms at all offered to BP ;only the threat of further vilification if they didn't agree.

Shake down is the Chicago way. That is what the Blago trial is all about. Video shows Blago threatening the Tribune because they were doing negative editorals against him. So he told them he would hold back state help if they tried to sell the Cubbies unless they ceased .Racetrack executive John Johnston testified that Blago shook him down by demanding campaign donations in exchange for legislation supporting the racing industry.
    Obama leaned from masters.

This will be repeated over and over. Now the executive dept takes over the role of the civil courts . The precedence is set . Any large scale industrial accident will be cause for a pseudo -nationizing of the company... a so called trust fund established that the President ,or his appointed flunkie determines who gets reimbursed ;bypassing the fair hearing in front of judge and jury. I'm surprised the Obots didn't use this model on Toyota. This bypasses the legal process ;and I can assure you ,investors in the American economy will take notice.
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2010, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    nope ...I call em' as I see em' .

I can assure you ,investors in the American economy will take notice.
    Hello again, tom:

At least it's clear, when it comes down big oil, or the people they harm, Republicans are on the side of big oil. I don't see nothing to be embarrassed about either. It's just the truth...

But, I'm thinking that if it got out that PEOPLE, who aren't in the INVESTOR class, AREN'T at the forefront of Republican policies, there'll be a mad rush for the exit. That's why they're embarrassed.

You're probably a member of that class, so I don't think you've been fooled. But, I'm talking about hard working people like Galveston, Inthebox, Smoothy, 450, and even Steve. The Republicans aren't looking out for them. Isn't Galveston on the Gulf? He's a victim. Does HE apologize to his attacker?? Maybe. Let's see.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2010, 07:22 AM
    What is a shakedown ?
    A shakedown is a stronger party ignoring good faith negotiations and instead forces a weaker party to bend to it's will.
    There were ,as far as I can tell, no favorable terms at all offered to BP ;only the threat of further villification if they didn't agree.
    What was it that both the Interior Secretary and the White House Press Secretary said, they'll keep their "boot on the throat" of BP? Who's that demanding BP set aside $20 billion for damages and assigning a czar to see to it BP's money gets distributed ASAP, Captain Kicka$$? No, there's no shakedown going on here. :rolleyes:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2010, 07:28 AM
    So what's your option, letting BP decide if any money gets spent on damages?
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2010, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Hello NK:

They're option is simply this. Let the damaged people file law suits and wait - probably for 10 years or more. The result? BP wins (wink, wink).

It's clear WHO'S side these guys are on, and it ISN'T the small businessmen, and the PEOPLE who are the VICTIMS of this disaster. They're on the side of the PERPETRATOR! They don't understand, that if somebody FOULED their own personal property, they'd be confronting 'em shot guns "shaking them down" for damages. What they WOULDN'T be doing, is filing a lawsuit.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2010, 07:56 AM

Nk did you read my reply ?
    a so called trust fund established that the President ,or his appointed flunkie determines who gets reimbursed ;bypassing the fair hearing in front of judge and jury.
    The process quoted and highlighted above is called the rule of law. That is how civil cases are decided .
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2010, 07:59 AM

But, I'm thinking that if it got out that PEOPLE, who aren't in the INVESTOR class
    Yes I guess there are some of them left. But there are many people you champion who's pensions and retirement funds are at least partly invested in BP stock and bonds or funds containing them . Not everyone can afford to buy gold and silver and bury it in their yard.
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2010, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    No one is saying BP shouldn't be held accountable, but my government has no business keeping their "boot on the throat" and kicking a$$es here. Tom made the point here:

This will be repeated over and over. Now the executive dept takes over the role of the civil courts . The precedence is set . Any large scale industrial accident will be cause for a pseudo -nationizing of the company... a so called trust fund established that the President ,or his appointed flunkie determines who gets reimbursed ;bypassing the fair hearing in front of judge and jury. I'm surprised the Obots didn't use this model on Toyota. This bypasses the legal process ;and I can assure you ,investors in the American economy will take notice.
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2010, 08:08 AM
    the process quoted above is called the rule of law. that is how civil cases are decided .
    Hello again, tom:

If you're going to cite the rule of law, do it correctly. Civil cases are decided according to the rule of law, UNLESS THERE'S A SETTLEMENT. In fact, MOST cases are settled LONG before a judge or jury gets involved. If you don't like the word settlement, try offer.

Yeah... But, it doesn't matter what it's called in the real world, because you people wouldn't get it anyway. After all, you call end of life counseling, a death panel... Bwa, ha ha ha.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2010, 08:17 AM

Oh I expect there are prosecutors like Elliot Spitzer ;Andrew Cuomo ,who abuse their power and strong arm some sort of settlement . I never thought you were one of those who would support that type of tactic.

But in most civil cases as I understand it the settlement is negotiated directly between the lawyers of the parties. The government (the judge) is not a party to the negotiations.
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2010, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    It's clear WHO'S side these guys are on, and it ISN'T the small businessmen, and the PEOPLE who are the VICTIMS of this disaster.
    It's a good thing most people don't rely on you for clarity.
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2010, 08:26 AM
    But in most civil cases as I understand it the settlement is negotiated directly between the lawyers of the parties. The government (the judge) is not a party to the negotiations.
    Hello again, tom:

I'm willing to use real English if you are. What happened here was jawboning, which IS a presidential tool, and a good faith offer, which BP absolutely may make. It ain't no more difficult than that.

excon
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2010, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    It's a good thing most people don't rely on you for clarity.
    Hello again, Steve:

So, clear it up for me. You're on the side of the victims or BP.. It ain't a hard choice. You got door number #1 or door number #2.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2010, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    So, clear it up for me. You're on the side of the victims or BP.. It ain't a hard choice. You got door number #1 or door number #2
    I choose door number 3, fairness and the rule of law.
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2010, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    I choose door number 3, fairness and the rule of law.
    Hello again, Steve:

So, you've never heard of a perpetrator OFFERING up damages BEFORE he got sued? Really?? Welcome to the USA? Where are you? Ellis Island?? Dude!

I'd also suggest to you, Steve, that if BP didn't think the deal was fair, they can go to court. They really CAN. So, what ISN'T fair when you've got and offer, and acceptance of that offer??

Dudes. You guys don't get it, and you never will - that's because you think end of life counseling is a DEATH PANEL.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2010, 08:43 AM

Hello again, tom:

I'm willing to use real English if you are. What happened here was jawboning, which IS a presidential tool, and a good faith offer, which BP absolutely may make. It ain't no more difficult than that.

Excon
    You call that real English .I call it spin. So you really think it was sitting down at a beer summit just using the power of reasonable persuasion.. the normal give and take of a negotiation ? The Godfather's "I'll make him a (good faith)offer he can't refuse " is simularily simple 'jaw jawing" then.

But ,when such "tools " are employed in the real world ,it is called extortion( in plain English... exaction of money or property through intimidation or undue exercise of authority. It may include threats of physical harm, criminal prosecution, or public exposure.).
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2010, 08:50 AM
    exaction of money or property through intimidation or undue exercise of authority. It may include threats of physical harm, criminal prosecution, or public exposure.).
    Hello again, tom:

Wow! The Obamanator did all that? I missed it. When did all that happen?

But, it didn't happen, did it? You just like the word shakedown, and death panel, and stuff like that.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What should I do about my sister, who constantly criticizes me, never apologizes. [ 8 Answers ]

I don't know what to do anymore. My older sister is constantly criticizing me, saying mean things to me and never apologizes. On top of that she is very lazy, doesn't ever accept any criticism of herself, gets defense anytime I try and point out a double standard and tells me to get over it and...

Your Congressman [ 86 Answers ]

Hello: SHOULD your congressman represent you, or the corporate interests in your district? I ask, because our right winged friends think that ALL a business has to do to make money, is provide a good product at a good price... If that's so, then why would a businessman need representation...

Congressman Gary Ackerman [ 8 Answers ]

Hello: Video - CNBC.com excon

Shakedown artist NY Governor Steam-roller Spitzer. [ 17 Answers ]

Joe Goldstein of NY Sun reports today that NY Guv. Elliot Spitzer is going to require major internet stores like Amazon.com to be his tax collectors . He wants to impose an 8.375% sales tax on internet purchases of those of us who have the "privilege" of living in NY . Spitzer's Christmas Tax...

A billion little spots [ 5 Answers ]

If anyone reading this has any advice please help... My face, top of my arms, chest and now boobs are absolutely covered in tiny tiny tiny lile black head spots, if you squeeze them (this sounds disgustin sorry, but you do actually get puss like stuff oozing from them) the worst areas are like...

View more questions Search