Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rongraham Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2010, 01:42 AM
    How to rid sumac tree roots
    I have cut down the Sumac tree but roots are springing up everywheWhat re even through the tarmac.
    Please what would you recamend to kill the suckers?

rongraham
    Rover88 Posts: 68, Reputation: 14

Jun 25, 2010, 05:15 AM

When did you cut the sumac tree? I'm going through a similar situation myself: We cut a number of large shrubs/small trees; since I couldn't find copper sulfate (without ordering it), I bought a quart of glyphosate defoliant (I think this is the active ingredient in Roundup). The mix I ended up with was about 7% compared to Roundup's 0.96%. I drilled holes in each stump section (some of these were only an inch or so in diameter--shrubs & hedges) and filled them with this solution. The bushes had been cut only two or three days before I did this, and the stumps sucked the solution in like sponges (glyphosate is typically used on post-emergent foliage). While it's still early to tell how it worked on the stumps, It looks like root transfer is taking out some other stuff up to 6' away from the problem area (wind drift was not an issue, as it was a calm day and I used almost no pressure in the sprayer... almost dripped onto the treatment area). IF YOU DECIDE TO USE THIS METHOD, CONSIDER ADJACENT GROWTH!
    Bill

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Killing Sumac roots [ 5 Answers ]

I cut down a sumac tree and now I have new sumac sprouts every where. What is the best way to kill all the roots and stop new sprouts from growing?

How do you kill tree roots after more than 2 years after the tree was cut down? [ 5 Answers ]

About 2 years ago I had a tree removed from my front yard and the stump ground. I was told that this was enough to kill the remaining roots. However, I don't believe that this is true since the driveway is cracking and splitting even more now than when we had the tree. One side of the crack is...

Poison Sumac: #1 Pollen exposure #2 Get rid of it! [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible to have a reaction to poison sumac without coming in contact with it or with anything that has touched it? :confused: We are renting a house that has a LOT of poison sumac in the back yard. I can just walk toward the yard and my forearms will start to itch. And some nights I...

How to get rid of tree roots after you cut the tree [ 1 Answers ]

We cut down some mesquite trees a few months ago. We would like to know how we could get the stumps to rot away. They are cut ground level. Do you have any suggestions.

Poison Sumac... Tree [ 5 Answers ]

I previously cut down a tree and prepared it for firewood. That next spring the stump started to grow and we realized that it was poison sumac! I never knew they grew into trees! I have determined that I have another one about 25' on my property that I intend to take down. My question is how...

View more questions Search