Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ganeshsarathi Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2010, 05:55 PM
    First time home buyer credit and Home mortgage in India
    Hi, I'm in H1b. In 2008 tax return , I claimed my Indian mortgage interest.
    I bought a home in US in 2009 and claimed first time home buyer credit. But IRS said I'm ineligible to get my first time home buyer credit since last year I claimed home mortgage interest detection. Can I say IRS , the home that I bought in US is my primary residence and I'm eligible for the tax credit. Thanks.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 17, 2010, 06:17 AM

No - the fact that this new home is now your primary residece is immaterial. Prior to November 6, 2009 you had to be a first-time home buyer in order to qualify for the credit, meaning you did not own any other main home for at least the three year period prior. Since you had claimed home mortgage interest in 2008, you clearly were not a first-time buyer. I am assuming that you purchased your US home prior to Nov 8, 2009. For purchases after November 8 2009, the credit was extended to long-time prior home owners as well, meaning people who have lived in the same home for at least the prior 8 years.

Jun 17, 2010, 07:29 AM

Thanks ebaines.. I mortgage int interest I claimed in 2008, is for the home that i bought in India. Not in US.

My first home home purchase in US is on Nov.18-2009.

My tax consultant told me I can claim the interest paid for the home in India. So I did it in 2008. I hope that's right thing to do based on other forum entires.
    If it's not right thing to do can I amend the 2008 filing and claim the tax credit for the home.
    Expert

Jun 17, 2010, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ganeshsarathi View Post
    Thanks ebaines.. I mortgage int interest i claimed in 2008, is for the home that i bought in India. Not in US.
    Understood. But I see nothing in the IRS documentation that says foreign-owned property doesn't count as a "principal residence." If the India home was not your principal residience for the last three years, you should qualify. So - was it your principal residence any time in the previous three years?

My first home home purchase in US is on Nov.18-2009.
    OK. Since this is after November 6 you would also qualify if you owned your India home for at least 8 years prior, and lived in it as your principal residence for at least 5 consecutive years. Did you?

My tax consultant told me i can claim the interest paid for the home in India. So i did it in 2008. I hope that's right thing to do based on other forum entires.
    If it's not right thing to do can i amend the 2008 filing and claim the tax credit for the home.
    Remember that the requirement has to do with ownership of a principal residence, not whether you claimed a mortgage interest deduction. I recommend that you not revise your 2008 tax return if your motiviation is to sneak in a credit for 2009 that you don't actually qualify for.

Jun 17, 2010, 08:43 AM

Thanks again ebaines for helping me. Yes.. last three years I'm in US and lived in rental properties until I bought the home. I can prove that by showing my lease agreements and my rental payments.

As per your advise , I won't amend the 2008, since the claimed interest is right to do.

Jun 17, 2010, 08:51 AM

First-Time Homebuyer Credit Questions and Answers: Basic Information

Q. Would I be considered a first time homebuyer if I owned a principal residence outside of the United States within the previous three years?

A. Yes. A taxpayer who owned a principal residence outside of the United States within the last three years is not disqualified from taking the credit for a purchase within the United States.
    Expert

Jun 17, 2010, 09:03 AM

Good! So your apartment in the US was your principal residence at least as far back as November 18, 2006? In your response to the IRS make sure to clarify that the India home was (and is) your second home, and not your main home.

Jun 17, 2010, 09:08 AM

Thanks ebaines. Will update the status at the end of the war if I survive. . Thanks again .
    bordas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2010, 11:59 AM
    Important! Please note that in order for us to perform successful tracking of each post, you must have the URL shown and clickable in your post as a link, so please make sure that it is included in the posting at the end. You need to build this link manually using URL and URL Text fields. URL Preview field shows how your URL Link sh

Mortgages For First Time Buyers
    gcallender Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2011, 03:39 PM
    Comment on ganeshsarathi's post
    I'm in the same situation. May I ask about the outcome of your war with the IRS?
    knanchahal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2011, 10:58 PM
    Hi,

Can you please let me know what all information you provided in Tax File when you claimed mortgage interest in India. Did you get any tax form 1098 form Indian bank ? Or any other information ? EIN ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First time home buyer tax credit (Own home in foreign) [ 2 Answers ]

I am on an H1B visa and have been working in the US for 4+ years. I purchased a condo in India 2 yrs ago (2007) and got a mortgage (through a bank in India). I make a monthly mortgage payment out of my salary here (I have no other income) to this bank in India. On advice of my tax filers, Last...

First time home buyer tax credit [ 3 Answers ]

My mother passed away, leaving her estate (including her house) to me and my three brothers (I am the executor). She had no debt. Can one of my three brothers buy the house from the estate and get the first time home buyer tax credit? He meets all of the other criteria.

First Time Home Buyer Credit J2 visa [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My husband (who is on a 5 year J1 visa) and me (J2, with EAD, employed by a US company) bought a house last year. I had been filling taxes in the past as resident alien (2005 and 2008), non-resident alien (2006 and some years before 2000), based on the substantial presence test, and I can also...

First time home buyer credit? [ 2 Answers ]

I wanted to post this question because I have been trying to research it on other sites and thought someone could help me well I need to know is the first time home buyers credit apart from your regular return?is it money that they send you or just a credit to your gross income?

Mortgage questions first time home buyer [ 1 Answers ]

Looking to get a mortgage for a bank owned foreclosure home an REO. I have an excellent credit score & able to put down a good down payment . Asking price is $388,000. How much should I try to offer? & How much of a down payment should I put... higher... medium... or lowest? Where can I serach...

View more questions Search