Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    norstar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2010, 06:11 AM
    Sears lawn mower wiring diagram
    I have a sears lawn tractor model c950... I just replaced the keyed ignition switch...
    Every time I try to start,I blow the 15 amp fuse, I called the supplier I bought the keyed switch from and was assured I got the right switch... any suggestions to what could be blowing the 15amp fuse?
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Jul 2, 2010, 05:56 AM

Is this a keyed connector? Is it possible you have the wires in the wrong spot on the switch?
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Jul 2, 2010, 07:36 PM

What was the reason for replacing the original switch?
    Ezekiel69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2011, 07:47 PM
    This is my first post. I'm not the brightest but I am a retired Sears technical manager. I was a site technician in Lawn and Garden for a couple of years before I became a manager. Electrical problems can be a nightmare for most technicians. My experience and a lot of support from other technicians helped me resolve many problems. Enough. If a fifteen amp fuse is blowing something is drawing more than 15 amps. I would suspect the starter. To isolate this, jump the soleonoid from the positive terminal of the battery to the starter directly. If the starter engages, it is not the starter. If it does not, it is likely that the bendix is hung up in the flywheel. If this is the case, rock the engine by applying torque to the screen on the top of the engine ( back and forth). If it is hung up you should hear it pop loose. Good luck.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 28, 2011, 08:40 PM

I'd look for a damage wire between the switch and starter relay that is grounding to the frame. That wire will most assuredly go through a switch that senses that whether the clutch/brake is engaged and through a switch that senses whether the mower blades are engaged.

If you turn the key with the clutch/brake not depressed and the blades are engaged and the fuse blows, then the short would be between the ignition switch and the clutch/brake switch.

If you do not blow the fuse, press the clutch/brake pedal. If the fuse blows then the short would be between the clutch/brake switch and the switch that senses the blade engagement.

If the fuse does not blow, disengage the blades. If fuse blows the short would be between the blade switch and the starter relay.

That is all assuming that you blow the fuse when actually trying to start. If you blow the fuse when the key is just turn to the on position and you have lights, look for a short in the lighting wiring.

Are you sure about model number, does not come up valid at Sears.com Parts Direct.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Riding lawn mower wiring diagram [ 1 Answers ]

I got a ranch king riding lawn mower need to wire it up it was given to me and I don't know where wires go. Briggs &stratton engine 12h.p. Model 284707 Type 0147 01 Code 9403084E I like to see if you can help me with a wiring diagram please.If possible sent it to me at...

Wiring diagram for a sears craftsman 12 hp lawn tractor [ 2 Answers ]

I am needing to rewire the 12 hp craftsman lawn tractor I have. I am interested in the wiring diagram for this tractor. Where can I obtanin this diagram? Thanks, ...

Sears lawn mower 536.270301 wiring [ 1 Answers ]

Can't get spark to plug cranks fine ,could it be an open safety switch?

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Sears Craftsman 4000 Riding Mower [ 9 Answers ]

I need a diagram on how to replace a belt on the Sears Craftsman II 4000 riding mower

View more questions Search