Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glilley Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2010, 05:18 AM
    Plaster Look On DryWall
    We are restoring an old 1885 house and several of the rooms have had the plaster and lath removed. We would like these rooms to look again like they have plaster walls but do not want to put up lath and replaster. I have been told that if you mount drywall backwards (i.e. rough side out), tape, mud, sand the joints you can apply a thin coat of XXX and when it dries, it will look like plaster.

Well, I didn't catch what "XXX" was (could it have been drywall mud?), but has anyone here heard of using this method or a similar one to make drywall look like plaster? Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 17, 2010, 07:18 PM

I would not recommend drywall joint compound to fill in for XXX. It may look like plaster but it is so soft you can scratch it with your finger nail. YYou could try regular plaster or 20 minute joint compound in a bag. This powered compound drys rock hard in 20 minutes, also make a 45.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2010, 12:35 AM

What we've done in a hospital is use 5/8 green board and a finish coat of plaster.

On a side note Plaster is NOT sand-able and a professional needs to finish coat it. Not A DIY project.

Jun 23, 2010, 01:35 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    I checked back with the individual and it regualar plaster he was talking about. Thanks.

May 31, 2011, 05:50 AM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Well, it's a year later and we're ready to do the walls. For testing I picked up a bag of ProForm 18 Lb. Bag Quick-Set Lite Setting Joint Compound - 45 Minute and tried a small batch on scrap drywall (about 1/8" deep). After drying for 2 days I can still scratch it good with my thumbnail. Am I using the wrong type/brand of powdered jount compound? Thanks!

May 31, 2011, 05:51 AM
    Oops - posted comment above by mistake.

ballengerb1 - Well, it's a year later and we're ready to do the walls. For testing I picked up a bag of ProForm 18 Lb. Bag Quick-Set Lite Setting Joint Compound - 45 Minute and tried a small batch on scrap drywall (about 1/8" deep). After drying for 2 days I can still scratch it good with my thumbnail. Am I using the wrong type/brand of powdered jount compound? Thanks!

May 31, 2011, 10:40 AM

Green and white bag or blue and white? I'd shy away from anything that says light ot lite, you want it to be hard. Lite and light compound has fillers and air bubbles.

May 31, 2011, 10:49 AM
    Blue and white bag and it says Quick Set Lite. Guess I need to look for a brand that does not include the words "Lite" and probably one that doesn't say "quick and easy sanding". Thanks!

May 31, 2011, 01:16 PM
    ballengerb1 - Researching more and it looks like "Sheetrock Durabond 90 Setting Type Joint Compound". The product description at the maker USG says "provides a hard, plaster-like surface...".

May 31, 2011, 03:51 PM

My product of choice. I'd make sure you follow the mixing instructions to the letter, 1 1/2 hours later you should have a rock hard wall surface, allow plenty of time for troweling.

Jun 1, 2011, 05:00 AM
    ballengerb1 - Thank you for your help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hanging heavy items on drywall over plaster? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I'm hanging a medicine cabinet in the bathroom. Do not know the weight but imagine it's no more than 40lbs when filled. Probably a conservative estimate. The walls are drywall over plaster. So basically I can't use an anchor meant for a hollow wall, but the first layer is not as...

Plaster and Fire rated drywall [ 2 Answers ]

I understand plaster board such as blue board is used when plastering walls instead of traditional taping/mudding of the seams, but can you plaster on fire rated drywall. I currently have the fire rated drywall in my garage due to code and am looking at just having my garage plastered.

Veneer plaster on purple moisture/mold resistant drywall? [ 1 Answers ]

My bathroom renovation has new drywall up that is a purple color (called "mold/moisture resistant"). This purple color is only on one side. I saw some "normal" blueboard and it looked more gray, where as this is more purple. I think this is the new green board? In either case, can this purple...

Patching cracks in drywall and plaster walls before painting [ 0 Answers ]

What do you charge for patching cracks that are caused by a homes' foundation being compromised by construction going on from an attached house. The construction consisted of the previous house being totally gutted and eliminated to build a new structure. Some of the cracks are worse than others...

View more questions Search