Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 16, 2010, 01:42 AM
    2012 and all that...
    So, assuming there IS going to be an utterly cataclysmic, literally earth shattering event, would you really want to know about it ?

Yes I'm being quite serious here and asking for some thoughtful responses.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 16, 2010, 02:34 AM

If it is completely cataclysmic, then what is the sense in being prewarned? I would rather just not know. I would just wish no one would suffer.

Tick
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 16, 2010, 03:09 AM

PS

I read an article once that the present day Mayans think that it is quite amusing that the ancient calender was misinterpreted. The calender was cracked at the year 20l2, leading others to surmise that the Mayans believed the world would end at that year, when in fact, present day Mayans know for sure that the calender was focused on planting, the seasons, the sun and the moon only as crops were the main concern of the ancients in order to get by year to year. They knew as farmers and not hunter/gatherers/nomads that unless the corn and root vegetables went in at the proper time, and had good weather for another season, no one would survive.

Tick
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 16, 2010, 06:44 AM

I think it's already started. "They" say it isn't going to happen in one day, but over a period, and considering the events that have been happening, if it going to happen, it's already begun.

But if it is happening, than what can we really do? Assuming what "they" say is correct, and mountains will crumble, waters willr ise and wash out land, and flat lands will just open up and cave in on themselves. How can anyone prepare for that?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 06:57 AM

Curlyben,

Lots of people believe that the beginning of all these signs have started. The thing is there have been so many disasters and wars , etc... Since the start of man. People have been trying to predict the end of the world since the beginning of man. Every time the prediction has been wrong. I honestly feel that there is no reason to believe that 2012 represents something very cataclysmic happening. I know that people for some reason are fearful and are always on edge and thinking the worst. People are attracted to disasters and predictions of doom. I do not know why.

My belief is at anytime that my personal belief in God. If something so severe and changing will happen that I will be ready at any time to go if that is what is meant to happen.

Okay so the question is would I really want to know about it. No, not really. It would not change anything. IF it is something that was unpreventable and was going to happen no matter what. What point is it knowing? I rather be surprised. If anything like that happened it would be quick and we would not be aware of it anyway.

Maybe for that time coming, if it were to come. Ignorance is bliss. I rather be happy and live my life in peace then fearful about upcoming disaster that I have no control over anyway.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 07:13 AM
    When Alexander the Great rolled over the Persian Empire I bet they thought the end of the world was coming.
    When the Japanese were the recipients of two atomic bombs I bet they thought the end of the world was coming.
    When the tsunami disaster happened in 2004 I'm surprised people didn't predict the end of the world then as well.
    World War 2 was pretty nasty, maybe that was the end of the world.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 07:25 AM

Hello ben:

Hmmmm... So, I wonder how those Mayans knew we'd poke a hole in the floor of the ocean into a large cavernous pit of oil, that is unstoppably gushing out and poisoning our oceans. It spells the end of us - probably around 2012...

Speaking of which, I think Obama and BP both KNOW we're doomed, and THEY ain't saying squat.

Do I wish they would?? I don't know. It would get pretty scary around here if they did.

excon
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2010, 07:57 AM

I've said it once and ill say it again

London 2012 olympics will be the death of us all

IF the end of the world was nigh and there was nothing I could do to survive it, then no I would rather not know about it,

Ever seen the film 'when the wind blows'

Rather than trying to build a homemade nuclear shelter, id rather sit outside in a deck chair with sun glasses and a cold one :)

Same principal
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear View Post
    rather than trying to build a homemade nuclear shelter, id rather sit outside in a deck chair with sun glasses and a cold one :)
    Hello bear:

Me too... But, I'd be smoking some good ganja.. Want to hit?

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2010, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello bear:

Me too... But, I'd be smoking some good ganja.. Wanna hit?

excon
    Sure why not, it is the end of the world after all, got to live a little
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 08:29 AM

Aliens are coming on Dec 22 2012.

The X-Files told me.

Beam me up scotty.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 08:30 AM

And yes, I would want to know.

I would sell our house and travel for the next 2 years. I want to see everything there is to see before it's all gone.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2010, 03:33 PM

Well if I had hoards of money, I'd do what Shaz said. If there was nothing I could do, I'd go with Excon.

But since it's just me, I would only want enough time to say good by to the people I love, and buy a boat:D
    Dogs Expert

Jun 16, 2010, 03:43 PM

I don't think I would really want to know, I think that if I did I would just have constant anxiety attacks. But on the other hand, all the scrimping and saving I have done, it sure would be nice to travel.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2010, 03:55 PM

This is an excellent question , Ben. I think that if there was no chance of survival, and that the end would be totally planetary, I would want to know so I could do a few more things with my wife and two young sons. And I would want to be with them all when the moment happened. I wouldn't want my children to be afraid. I would also take that time to do a little better job at my "spiritual preparation".

I agree that we are headed in that direction somewhat. When men are taking supplements to produce some form of "breastmilk" as to better bond with their newborn children(yea, it's happening), and the whole "metrosexual male" thing, we are on our way.

The planet is resilient, I don't think we can break IT, but the same logic that we, as civil humans, had during WWII,"PRIDE and HONOR", compared to today, "Is that fat free bacon?"... We're screwed if it's by alien invasion.

I think I'll take a few hits of that herb Ex.
    Dogs Expert

Jun 16, 2010, 04:04 PM

JM I just threw up a little in my mouth. There is NO WAY IN HELL that I would let my hubby or father of my child breast feed. Ewww. I need to go shower now.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 16, 2010, 04:37 PM

I believe that if it were a end all scenario that I would like to know in advance. For obvious reasons of contacting loved ones etc. Or like I saw in a movie. When the nuke was going to hit everybody was running except one guy who just sat in his lawn chair and lit up a cigar. If I have to go let it be my way.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 16, 2010, 04:43 PM

We are now signing up for members of the New World Order, who are in place soon to take over all major areas of control once society is in ruin. We are all well qualified having watched every end of the world movie, and have based our new government on the Mad Max and the Postman movies.

Merely sell all you have ( you don't need that earthly old government money anyway) and right after the world is destroyed we will issue the new method of payment.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 16, 2010, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    We are now signing up for members of the New World Order, who are in place soon to take over all major areas of control once society is in ruin. We are all well qualified having watched every end of the world movie, and have based our new government on the Mad Max and the Postman movies.

Merely sell all you have ( you don't need that earthly old government money anyway) and right after the world is destroyed we will issue the new method of payment.
    With the circle of life the way it is its more then likely going to be more like planet of the apes then mad max ;)
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2010, 05:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post

I'm already saving up bottle caps and kfc hand wipe cloths (as the new post-apocalyptic currency) so as to start a wealthy man after the bombs drop :D

(an internet cookie to whoever gets those two references :) )

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is 2012 real? [ 7 Answers ]

I mean, is it? Today the weather is hotter than usual, lots of earth quakes going on, and food shortage and population are worst.

What do you think of 2012? [ 4 Answers ]

There are no bad answers. There are no asnwers. Only opinions. What are yours?

Passover 2012 [ 1 Answers ]

On what day is passover in the year 2012 ?

2012 doomsday [ 3 Answers ]

What do you think will happen on the 21st December 2012? :rolleyes: Will the earth change, be destroyed? Will it be the end? :eek: Discussion please!!

2012 Real? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was just wondering what thoughts people had on 2012. From what I have heard, I'll just sum it up, 2012 is supposed to be the ending of the myan calendar and something like a judgement day is supposed to happen that year. What are your thoughts?

View more questions Search