Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nishant_yagnick Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2004, 11:08 PM
    Immunology
    Why are some human beings more prone to diseases than others. For example, a friend of mine falls sick morw frequently than me, while many people living in slums etc or working in garbage dumps, do not fall sick so much, even when they live beside very unhygenic areas. We usually describe this haracter a hardiness.but what exact difference in human immune systems causes this to happen?
    fj Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2004, 03:54 AM
    Re: immunology
    There is no simple answer to your question.
    There are many reasons some people get sick more often than others.

Factors that can influens the immune system are

- nutritional intake
    Your immune system needs protein, minerals, vitamins etc. to function (fruit, vegetables and fish are beneficial)
    - the number of infections that you have already had
    Many infections generate immunity, so if you have had such an infection once, you will not have it again
    - breastfeeding exclusively during the first half year of lift boosts the immune system
    - genetic differences in the immune system can make some people more prone to infection than others.
    - subclinical (unnoticable) infection
    It could very well be that you have had the same infections as your friend, but that your immune system deals with them differently, so that you do not even notice that you came in contact with these infections
    - the people in the slums whose immune system could not deal with the infections are probably dead by now
    - stress
    People who are under a lot of stress, have fewer disease-fighting white blood cells. When you are in a bad quarrel with a close friend it can make your white blood cells go down by 50%, leaving you with fewer disease- fighting abilities.

The exact differences in the immune systems of people are not all known yet. There are a number of known diseases of the immune system, but they often lead to severe disturbances. There are so many different molecules in the immune system, many of which with still unknown functions, that it is impossible to tell that in one answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Immunology [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone... I am a med lab tech from Canada and I really need some help. Need to know in point form the events that begin inside the body after an injection of tetanus toxoid, beginning with the reaction at point of entry, and then proceeding to the systemic reactions

Immunology [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing an ELISA experiment. I washed the microtitre plate coated with antigen with PBS and BSA for each well. Should I empty the PBS/BSA from the wells and leave the empty plate until I'm ready to use it to add the antibody or should I leave the PBS/BSA in the wells and empty them just before...

View more questions Search