Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sumdumbum987 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2006, 06:05 PM
    identifying baking soda and washing soda
    Using a monoprotic acid, how would you find out which sample is baking soda and which sample is washing soda if you have unknown samples of each? I think it has something to do with how much CO2 each produces when reacted with the acid, but I don't know which produces more CO2 and which produces less. Could you also show me the reaction of each with the acid HA?

Edit: I need help on the chemical equation

Thank You
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2006, 12:36 AM
    Washing Soda = Na2CO3
    Baking soda = NaHCO3

Write equations and balance them and see what you get :)
    pwd77 Posts: 185, Reputation: 3

Dec 12, 2006, 09:42 PM
    NaHCO3 + HA -> NaA + H2O + CO2 1 mole acid -> 1 mole CO2
    (Na)2CO3 + 2HA -> 2NaA + H2O + CO2 1 mole acid -> 1/2 mole CO2

For the same weight of each, an aliquot of acid will yield half as much CO2 with washing as with baking soda

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bero Flour Baking book uk [ 8 Answers ]

I am wanting a copy of the Bero Flour Uk Baking book can you help me obtain this book I live in Melbourne Australia,I am happy to pay the cost of book and postage. Thanks Fiona Howat.

What can I use 4 Baking Weights? [ 6 Answers ]

See Recipe below.. Hi There :) Can some kind person pass on an idea for what I can use to weigh down pastry when baking a pie shell? The recipe says to use cooking beans but I don't have any.. Could I possibly use rice or something? Many thanks, Ames..

Dog Ate Soda Bottle [ 1 Answers ]

I gave my dog a small soda bottle with dog treats inside to play with and keep her occupied. We've done this many times. I can't find the bottle anywhere. IF she ate The entire bottle, what do I need to watch for? :confused:

Need help identifying a song! [ 2 Answers ]

I've had a song stuck in my head for about a month now and I've searched Google a dozen times, I've watched CMT Canada five times a day to see if I hear it again but nothing, as you've probably guessed it's a country song. I know a bit of the lyrics, but not much: - I'm not going to stand here...

Baking with whole-wheat pastry flourl [ 1 Answers ]

I read in a Health Magazine that you can replace the white flour with whole wheat pastry flour in most baking recipies, I have tried some cookies and both batches came out very flat, do I need to add baking powder or gluten? What am I doing wrong? ::)

View more questions Search