Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laurakeo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2010, 11:50 AM
    why has my 5 year old dog began pooing in the house?
    in the last month my 5 year old, house trained, westie has began to randomly poo in the living room. Is it because we leave him in his crate for too long? He seems perfectly happy to stay in his crate no longer than 5 hours as long as he gets a good walk before or after? By the looks of it, its not as if he can't wait to get to the garden he just seems lazy, but could he be ill? Yesterday he didn't even bark at the back door like he always has he just pooped on the carpet in the living room, then today the back door was wide open but he didn't bother going to garden he just did it in the living room again. Does anyone know why? Or know how to stop him? Or do you think I should take him to the vet? Its really annoying but also worrying.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 12:17 PM

If you are worried, I would take him to the vet, just to be on the safe side. It's best to have any medical illnesses ruled out, and than you can always work on behavior after that.

Make sure to clean the spot with an enzyme cleaner. vinegar and a water solution also works well too. Has there been any changes, new stress, or long trips recently that may be bothering him?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 12, 2010, 04:26 AM

Why the disagree Lisagilber?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 year old new dog peeing in house [ 1 Answers ]

We just rescued a 3 year opld dog. He did not pee in the house the first few days at home. Very loving and sweet dog, doesn't seem unhappy at all. Started peeing in the house recently and we take outside frequently, ebery few hours. We clean pee right away with carpet cleaner. What do we do?

Rescued Puppy Pooing in House [ 3 Answers ]

I recently rescued a German Shepherd mix puppy from a family who kept him tied in their back yard to a tree with no shelter, food, water, or attention. My vet and I guess him to be about 6-7 months old. Considering this poor pup was chained outside for the first months of his life with no...

4 year old dog pooping and peeing in house [ 1 Answers ]

We have a four year old husky that we adopted from a rescue sheltre when he was 1 year old and he was already housetrained. We never used to have problems with him since we were always very good about letting us know when he had to go outside. A little while ago when I came home one day I saw that...

My house trained dog has recently began going in the house. [ 1 Answers ]

My dog has recently began going to the bathroom in my house and I don't understand why. Could he be mad at me? I just started a new 8-5 job and I started keeping him in the bathroom while I'm at work. I use to keep him outside, but it's cold and I always worry that he's freezing while I'm gone. I...

My dog just began peeing on women's legs? [ 4 Answers ]

My dog is not fixed and I heard that if I fix him he would stop but we are not ready to fix him My sons have always wanted a puppy so we would like to get one first from our male lab. But in the meantime I need to stop him from peeing on people at the dog park. What do I do?

View more questions Search