Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ibensous Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2010, 06:52 AM
    98 Honda Civic Won't spark
    My battery was not charging so I decided to change it. About 15 minutes after I changed it I took the car for a drive and the MIL light started blinking. The car then went into Limp Mode. Later that day I took the codes to see what was wrong with the car. It said there was a problem with the spark plug wire on cylinder 1. So, I changed all the spark plugs, the spark plug wires, the distributor cap, and the rotor. Now my car won't even start. It cranks but it won't start. I checked to see if fuel was getting to the engine and it is. Also, the gas pump is working. Then I tested to see if the car was sparking. The car is not getting any sort of spark (no blue or yellow). I'm positive all the replacement pieces are working (they are also new). What should I do next?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2010, 07:01 AM

Replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

Jun 16, 2010, 05:52 PM
    98 Honda Civic Not Starting
    My battery was not charging so I decided to change it. About 15 minutes after I changed it I took the car for a drive and the MIL light started blinking. The car then went into Limp Mode. Later that day I took the codes to see what was wrong with the car. It said there was a problem with the spark plug wire on cylinder 1. So, I changed all the spark plugs, the spark plug wires, the distributor cap, and the rotor.I checked to see if fuel was getting to the engine and it is. Also, the gas pump is working. Then I tested to see if the car was sparking. The car is not getting any sort of spark (no blue or yellow). I'm positive all the replacement pieces are working (they are also new). After TDxGreaseMonkey helped me and said to change the ICM and ignition coil the car is now sparking. However, the sparks are yellow there is no blue spark. Now my car does not make any sort of loud cranking noise like it did before but its still cranking. It seems the car won't kick. Can someone please advise me on what to do next? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 06:18 PM

. Check and see if the timing belt broke. Have someone else crank the car, while you remove the oil filler cap and see if the camshaft rotates.

. Ensure the spark plug wires are fully seated in the distributor cap.

If the problem persists, the next step is to replace the distributor housing, since internal sensors (CKP, TDC, or CYL) may be damaged. This is common on Hondas. Only buy a genuine Honda distributor housing, where it's fine to install your new Ignition Control Module and coil. Keep in mind that over 50% of new aftermarket distributors for Hondas have not worked at AMHD. Here's how to replace the distributor yourself:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post288473

Jun 16, 2010, 06:54 PM

Checked those things and they checked out fine.

When I changed the ICM, and coil I changed the entire distributor so that it's brand new. Is it possible that the engine is flooded and that's why it won't start? If so how do I know it is flooded and how do I unflood it. Also, if it's flooded will there be permanent damage to the engine?
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 07:01 PM

Is the distributor housing made by Honda?
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 07:03 PM

If you suspect it may be flooded, just remove all of the spark plugs overnight. No permanent damage.

Jun 16, 2010, 07:04 PM

I'm not 100% sure but I'm 99% sure it is. It's a Tec Distributor and it looks exactly like the one I had on my car before.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 07:07 PM

It's likely fine, then. Removing the spark plugs overnight may be just what you need to do. Your system should be all "go."
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 07:12 PM

Did you reset the ECM, after it threw a code?

Also, just for the heck of it, check all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter, if the problem persists:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

Jun 16, 2010, 07:15 PM

I reset the codes but I can't even check them now because the car won't turn over. Also, I've checked all the fuses and they checked out fine. When I first tried starting the car after replacing the distributor it made a loud crank noise and then that died and now it sort of whimpers. Someone said it sounded like the engine wasn't compressing. I'm praying that isn't the problem.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 07:19 PM

Thoughts & questions:

. Did you tighten the plugs all of the way.

. How many miles are on the engine?

. Check each cylinder's compression, after removing all of the spark plugs. If you have ever had it overheat, the head gasket may have blown.

Jun 16, 2010, 07:22 PM

- Plugs are tightened all the way

- The car only has 70k miles

- I've never had it overheat but tomorrow I'll have to check the cylinder's compression.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 07:26 PM

If you can, remove the plugs tonight. When you check the compression, do it dry and wet (oil). Record on a piece of paper both readings for each cylinder:

Dry: 1, 2, 3, 4

Wet: 1, 2, 3, 4
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 07:31 PM

This is certainly unusual for an Accord with such low mileage. Have you changed the engine oil and filter at least as often as recommended?

Jun 16, 2010, 07:34 PM

I've changed it every 3k miles. I bought the car when it had 65k miles and the owner before me was an elderly man. He had the oil change done every 2k miles and he also changed the O2 sensor, and timing belt when a repair was needed. How long does it usually take before a flooded engine is cleared up?
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 07:35 PM

You originally said the battery was not charging. Could you have a problem with the alternator? Alternator problems can show up in unusual ways, at times.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 07:36 PM

I would wait several hours, anyhow.

Jun 16, 2010, 07:37 PM

Also, I'm starting to believe it is a flooded engine since my engine has never overheated before and when the battery was changed the engine was in great condition. It also seems to point towards an electrical problem because the spark is yellow and after changing all the ignition pieces it should be blue.

Jun 16, 2010, 07:41 PM

How do I check to see if the alternator is bad?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda civic has no spark [ 1 Answers ]

Need to know how to test the ignitor and voltage regulator. Thanks

I have a 92 honda civic and it has no spark [ 3 Answers ]

My civic would sputtering the first 20 seconds I was driving it and then it would run fine and now it won't start at all. It has no spark what so ever. I have changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor, coil pack, ignition modulator, fuel filter, and the ckp sensor. What should I do I have...

Honda civic no spark [ 1 Answers ]

I found my distributor fried so I replaced the distributor and cap . Still no spark . What next ?

NO spark 92 Honda Civic LX [ 1 Answers ]

92 honda civic cranks this. Router turns no spark replaced this. Cap and router and in moud in this. What should I LOOK FOR

90 honda civic no spark [ 4 Answers ]

My 90 civic has no spark believe it is the ignition ignitor but my ECU tells me it is the fuel injection system(code 16). I tested the main relay, ignition coil(both good), and replaced the rotor and cap. Still no spark, so reading other posts I believe it to be the ignitor. But the ECU thing is...

View more questions Search