Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Topaz4000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2006, 03:07 PM
    Debt & Pension
    Credit Card debt was accrued on account(s) I did not use, but was a co-signer on :( . There are circumstances I'm looking into re: my liability, but here's my question in the meantime: Worst case scenario, there could be a judgement against me. My sole income is SSI & a pension; Can the courts still attach my bank account, &/or garnish pension? I thought I heard somewhere a settlement can never be paid through retirement income of this nature, but unsure.. thanks in advance for any info or insight.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 21, 2006, 07:22 PM
    Depends on how much the pension pays you each month and the relative cost of living wherever you live.

If the courts determine that the pension and SSI payments more than adequately maintains your standard of living, then they can and will garnish the pension.

SSI payments normally cannot be garnished.

If you have ANY money in a bank account, the account CAN be garnished!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 21, 2006, 08:05 PM
    Co-signing a debt means you take responsibility for the debt if the other party doesn't pay. I'm not sure what you are exploring but if you voluntarily signed as co signer then you can be held responsible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Worry & Debt [ 3 Answers ]

I really don't know what to do. I got sick one year ago. I have a small monthly disability check, under $1,000.00. I developed an electrical problem in my heart and now I have a defibrillator in my chest and I cannot work. I owe a total of 15,000 divided among 10 or so creditors. They are all...

Marriage & Debt [ 6 Answers ]

I'm getting married in 6 months, however I just found out that my future husband has some debt occurring with some investment properties. There could be a possible foreclosure. Could this effect me once were married even if this happened before we got married. Lets just say that I get a house in my...

Canadian Pension Plan [ 1 Answers ]

Who funds the Canadian Pension Plan? I mean, let's say I am a member of Parliament. Obviously the effect of inflation on the cost of plan would play a role. Would I want to use: GDP deflator to measure inflation (understates inflation) CPI (overstates inflation) Average of both (a bit more...

Bankruptcy & Debt [ 5 Answers ]

What is the statue of limitations on debt? Can a creditor ask for repayment on something from 1992?

20 vs 30 yr retirement pension [ 1 Answers ]

Currently, our department has a 50% at 20 yrs, 60% at 30 yrs government pension with a 8.5% contribution. Our union just turned down a 50% at 20yrs, earning 2% each year thereafter to a maximum of 70% at 30 yrs. To get this, we were asked to pay an additional .5% (total 9%). Were they crazy for...

View more questions Search