Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kb13kb13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2010, 04:13 PM
    Any advice for a federal inmate requesting a transfer to a prison nearer to home?
    Is there any advice you might have for a fed inmate who is considering making a request for transfer to a prison nearer to home?
    Are there any particular factors or points that an inmate's case worker is going to look for when considering an inmate's request for transfer? In their transfer request letter, what points would be beneficial for them to stress? Should their letter be simple and impersonal or would it help their chances to write on a more personal level? For instance, detailing some of the personal hardships they (or their family, as a whole) are enduring because of their incarceration and the current distant location of their incarceration. Would it be appropriate for a family member or loved one to write a letter to the case worker/unit team/warden urging the approval of the inmate's transfer request? Any advice or suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2010, 06:33 AM

Hello kb:

Yes. Go read this.

excon

PS> It has NOTHING to do with his sob story, and EVERYTHING to do with his meeting the criteria for a transfer.
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2010, 06:41 AM
    Hello again, kb:

I MISREAD your question. You're talking about a federal prison transfer. That's not the same thing.

I'd write the judge a letter and ask him to RECOMMEND that the BOP transfers him. He also has some administrative remedies that he can file INSIDE, and I would.

The procedures I recommended above are the same. There IS a federal policy manual regarding inmates being as close to their families as possible. THAT'S the manual he's going to have to read and where the criteria he's going to have to meet is spelled out

Again, his sob story is NOT relevant... Oh, it is to YOU and to HIM, but not the feds.

excon
    kb13kb13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2010, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, kb:

I MISREAD your question. You're talking about a federal prison transfer. That's not the same thing.

I'd write the judge a letter and ask him to RECOMMEND that the BOP transfers him. He also has some administrative remedies that he can file INSIDE, and I would.

The procedures I recommended above are the same. There IS a federal policy manual regarding inmates being as close to their families as possible. THAT'S the manual he's gonna have to read and where the criteria he's gonna have to meet is spelled out

Again, his sob story is NOT relevant... Oh, it is to YOU and to HIM, but not the feds.

excon

Thank you, I certainly appreciate your response. I am aware that heartache and love have no influence over the BOP's decisions. I have been working to learn as much as possible about the Bureau's policies and practices and intend to pass my learnings on to my love so that he can make the best request for transfer possible, with the necessary information included.

Thanks again for your help.

Take care.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 06:11 PM

I was with the Federal BOP for some time ( about 20 years ago) and while things may have changed over the years. He should have a security counselor and need to dicuss this with them. After that there will be a point system and first of course is the security level of the prison.
    judi banks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2012, 01:44 PM
    These answers are some I have heard already. What handbook are you speaking of concerning inmates serve there sentence as close to family as possible. Spell it out. I have been on the internet for days. I need some quick answers to this. My son is in the process of being transferred. I know about the sob stories. I do know also that when you make a call, you LEAVE A MESSAGE, well go figure. So what is the next step. I would like to follow the chain of command. I have yet to find the names of these officers. I only know the Chief Wardens name. What about the counselor , the case manger, the Assistant Warden and the others. This is disgusting that there is so much information on these sites and the important things are left hanging. Please help me with this if possible.
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2012, 03:38 PM
    Hello j:

You can call the prison and ask to speak to those people. They're not hiding. You just need to be persistent. Other than that, what kind of help do you need?

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transferring from one federal prison to another [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know if it is possible for an inmate to request a transfer from one prison facility to another? If it is possible, how would they go about that? Also, if it is possible, are there any extuanating factors that will help get the transferred approved, such as elderly father in...

How many inmates can be housed in the same cell in federal prison [ 7 Answers ]

My friend has been sentenced to 63 months in federal prison for sale of cocaine, he is currently in a privately owned prison until he gets designated to a federal prison. I have two questions. Does anyone know how long it takes to get designated to a facility? And now that the prison he is in...

Should inmates while in federal prison file an income tax return [ 3 Answers ]

Should inmates while in federal prison file an income tax return?

Federal Prison halfway house [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend has his team meeting tomorrow. He is currently under a year till release. My question is once his team tells him how much halfway house they recommend what happens next?

Federal Prison [ 4 Answers ]

My husband is waiting for his sentence for federal prison here in Kansas. They are giving him a plead bargen for 10 years but he says he would only have to do 6 but he still has to go back and do his 17 months in a regular prison. Is there anyway he could get the 17 months taken off and is there...

View more questions Search