Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dreyfus1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2010, 02:28 PM
    Attic insulation and venting
    I have a 14'x28' shed that will be heated. I want to insulate the underside of the roof. There are no soffit vents, only gable vents. 2 questions: how should the venting be handled, and with 2x4 construction how can I get a higher r-value. r13 is standard for a 2x4 wall.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2010, 09:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreyfus1 View Post
    I have a 14'x28' shed that will be heated. I want to insulate the underside of the roof. There are no soffit vents, only gable vents. 2 questions: how should the venting be handled.
    Since you only have cross ventilation you either install a ridge vent on the roof or use soffits vents but not all 3. only 2 of the 3 should be used

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyfus1 View Post
    2x4 construction how can I get a higher r-value. r13 is standard for a 2x4 wall.
    Hands down Spray foam is the best R per inch here. Its 3 times more expensive then Standard fiberglass but pays off quickly
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2010, 10:27 PM
    Higher insulation value?

Polyisocyanurate board,R7 per inch.Finding it might pose a problem, here it's around an 8 hour round trip(for the factory seconds,which are more than 50% off new/firsts)

Installed between each rafter you can space them down by installing a 1X strip to each rafter,(against the roof line) to space them for venting, then using the soffit vents and ridge vents,you can have a heated room with proper venting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"A" frame attic insulation and venting [ 4 Answers ]

I am converting my "A" frame attic into a living space. The joists stick out 5" from the roof and are 22" apart. It's an old house and measurements change give or take a half inch from joist to joist. Even though there is no ridge vent there are roof louvers about 3 ' from the peak. I can only...

Attic insulation [ 2 Answers ]

I want to add additional blown in insulation to my attic. There may be 2-3" currently. I wanted to staple in baffles to prevent the insulation from filling the soffits as well as allowing airflow, however, the roof is very low and it looks impossible to get to the eaves to install a baffle or any...

Attic insulation [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to add insulation to the ceiling of my friends house. Her dad had previously purchased it and it cannot be returned. The problem is that it has a face on one surface and the house has two previously applied layers. (1980's house) the bottom layer is blown in, the next is non faced...

Attic Insulation and venting [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to have our roof reshingled. AT that time, I would like to add insulation in our attic, and additional venting. Currently all I have is gable vents. Should I add ridge venting as well as soffit venting with gable. Or will one of these suffice with gable vents? Thank You

Attic Insulation [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two story box house. The attic has insulation under the floor. The 10 ft peak attic is for storage. Should I add insulation under the roof? Thanks, Steve

View more questions Search