Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Jun 13, 2010, 07:29 PM
    My aunt is in the hospitalshe can not eat or drink or swallow,how long can she live ?
    My aunt is in hospital heavily medicated for pain she can not eat or drink and Cabot swallow,she has no feeding tube in her living will.how long can a person go without food or water?just trying to prepare myself.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 13, 2010, 07:34 PM

In truth I believe it depends on the person and if they are ready or not. Some wait for a trigger. Like waiting to pass until a loved one has a chance to say good bye. There is no real way of knowing. Sorry for your situation and upcoming loss.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2010, 01:08 AM
    Hi, jack dandy!

Why is your aunt in the hospital, please?

Thanks!
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 14, 2010, 01:10 AM
    Without food, she can live several weeks from what I understand. Going without water is generally around 3 days. I googled the information, and most were in that ballpark.

I presume that she is not on an IV for fluids.

As califdadof3 said, the will to survive to wait for a loved one to come, will make a difference as well.

I am sorry you are going through this, and I hope what little time she has left is a comfort to her, with you there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

12 yr old Chihuahua will not eat are drink [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Chihuahua who is a rescue dog I have had her for 12 yr. She was malnourished and infested with worms. We were told by the vet that she would not get over 2 lb and her stomach will be really sensitive she can not have any shots as she has allegories to all . She has done very well over the...

My dog will not eat or drink [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 yr old black lab who is a rescue dog. We found her at 10 weeks old under the porch in a very bad neighborhood. She was malnourished and infested with worms. We were told by the vet that her growth will be stunted and her stomach will be really sensitive. She has done very well over the...

My 12 yr old spaniel will not eat or drink anything! [ 7 Answers ]

My cocker spaniel is 12 years old, male- and has a fatty tumor (size of a golf ball) on the left side of his body around his knee socket. Our vet said it was harmless and removal for it is not necessary until it starts putting pressure on the rest of his organs. However, my dog has barely eaten...

My dog won't eat or drink anything, what should I do. [ 5 Answers ]

His feces has no blood in it, and he hasn't threw up.

Won't eat or drink [ 1 Answers ]

I have a komondor dog that won't eat or drink been 3 days he has been vomitting and is now brining up bile, he has no get up and go even though we have a ***** that has just come into season

View more questions Search