Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kelleywe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2010, 06:42 PM
    I have a 2003 6.0 diesel that is popping and when it does that there is a puff smoke
    Popping noise under the hood and when it does that there is a puff of black smoke out the tail pipe. 2003 F250 6.0 motor
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2010, 07:05 PM

Could be a bad fuel injector. This is a broad area.

Could be a bad head gasket.

That popping noise is could be the combustion chamber leaking out of the head gasket. If the head gasket is leaking out near the water ports you will also get some spitting of water out the tail pipe after the engine is warmed up .

When you go to accelerate does it seem there's a power loss and or pops more. If so a big indicator of a bad head gasket. Another way to check for a bad head gasket is water in the oil or oil in the radiator water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puff of smoke from lawn mower engine [ 2 Answers ]

When I start my Briggs 11 HP on a riding mower, I get a big puff of white smoke... then It stops smoking and runs fine. It starts easily and runs great after that puff.

F250 diesel trucks blue smoke [ 1 Answers ]

I had a diagnostic for a check engine light of my 04 250 Diesel. It said EGR Valve, so I changed it and the problem continues. Blue smoke from the exhaust and the truck has little power when you start and going up hill

Diesel white smoke [ 2 Answers ]

My 2006 diesel truck with a 6.0 is blowing a lot of white smoke on start up sometimes or when running starts jerking

Puff Puff Pass [ 14 Answers ]

How is drinking beer or wisky justified when smoking pot is illeagal. Beer and liquior contributes to sooooo much destruction of the body, teens, auto accidents, families. Yet it is legal. Pot doesn't impair your ability to drive, or destroy your body like liquior yet it is illegal.

View more questions Search