Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 13, 2010, 06:41 PM
    Queen Victoria
    Wondergirl I'm hoping you can help me here.

I'm looking for the diaries of Queen Victoria and other fabulous period pieces. I was wondering if you could help me. I can't get to my local library while they are open and want to send my daughter to pick up the books for me. Can you direct me where in the library to send her?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 13, 2010, 07:27 PM

This may hold you for a bit until your book makes it to the house.

Ref:

The Project Gutenberg eBook of 'Queen Victoria's Letters, Volume I

All the volumes are at that link :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 07:41 AM
    This is one entry from WorldCat (after using "Queen Victoria" as the title search entry). The highlighted Dewey Decimal number below is where these books would be in a public library; the highlighted OCLC number below is necessary when ordering it through interlibrary loan. Your reference librarian can do a similar search in WorldCat, as there are more titles on file --

Victoria in the Highlands; the personal journal of Her Majesty Queen Victoria,
    Victoria, Queen of Great Britain; David Duff 1969, ©1968
    English, 397 p. illus. fold. Geneal. Table, maps, ports. 23 cm.
    New York, Taplinger Pub. Co.
    # Availability: Libraries worldwide that own item: 295

Title: Victoria in the Highlands; the personal journal of Her Majesty Queen Victoria,
    Author(s): Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1901.
    Duff, David,; 1912-
    Publication: New York, Taplinger Pub. Co.
    Year: 1969, ©1968
    Description: 397 p. illus. fold. Geneal. Table, maps, ports. 23 cm.
    Language: English
    Standard No: LCCN: 76-79854

SUBJECT(S)
    Descriptor: Queens -- Great Britain -- Diaries.
    Named Person: Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1901 -- Homes and haunts -- Scotland -- Highlands.
    Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1901 -- Diaries.
    Geographic: Highlands (Scotland) -- Description and travel.

Note(s): Selections from Leaves from the journal of our life in the Highlands, and More leaves./

Bibliography: p. 381-383.

Class Descriptors: LC: DA552; Dewey: 941.081/0924

Responsibility: with notes and introductions, and a description of the acquisition and rebuilding of Balmoral Castle, by David Duff.

Vendor Info: Baker and Taylor (BTCP)
    Material Type: Biography (bio)
    Document Type: Book
    Entry: 19691006
    Update: 20090823
    Accession No: OCLC: 31345
    Database: WorldCat
    Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 07:43 AM
    Dang... I haven't a clue what you just typed. It all looks greek to me. Can you dumb it down for me please?

Thanks!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 07:49 AM
    Here's another entry (again using "Queen Victoria" as the search keywords) --

Darling child : private correspondence of Queen Victoria and the Crown Princess of Prussia, 1871-1878 / Victoria, Queen of Great Britain; Roger Fulford
    English, xii, 307 p. [10] leaves of plates : ill. ; 23 cm.
    London : Evans, ; ISBN: 0237448572 : 9780237448578
    # Availability: Libraries worldwide that own item: 249

Title: Darling child : private correspondence of Queen Victoria and the Crown Princess of Prussia, 1871-1878 /
    Author(s): Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1901.
    Victoria,; Empress, consort of Frederick III, German Emperor,; 1840-1901.
    Fulford, Roger,; 1902-
    Publication: London : Evans,
    Year: 1976
    Description: xii, 307 p. [10] leaves of plates : ill. ; 23 cm.
    Language: English
    Standard No: ISBN: 0237448572 :; 9780237448578 LCCN: 77-367005

SUBJECT(S)
    Descriptor: Queens -- Great Britain -- Correspondence.
    Princesses -- Germany -- Correspondence.
    Named Person: Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1901 -- Correspondence.
    Victoria, Empress, consort of Frederick III, German Emperor, 1840-1901 -- Correspondence.
    Victoria, Queen of Great Britain.
    Victoria, Empress, consort of Frederick III, Emperor of Germany.
    Victoria, impératrice, épouse de Frédéric III, empereur d'Allemagne, 1840-1901.
    Victoria, reine de Grande-Bretagne, 1819-1901.
    Identifier: Great Britain; Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1871-1878 - Correspondence, diaries, etc.; Germany; Victoria, Empress, consort of Frederick III, Emperor of Germany, 1871-1878 - Correspondence, diaries, etc.

Note(s): Includes bibliographical references and index.

Class Descriptors: LC: DA552; Dewey: 941.081/092/4; B; 943.08/3/0924

Responsibility: edited by Roger Fulford.
    Vendor Info: Baker and Taylor (BTCP) £7.95
    Material Type: Biography (bio)
    Document Type: Book
    Entry: 19770926
    Update: 20100530
    Accession No: OCLC: 2789800
    Database: WorldCat
    Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 07:51 AM
    So, could I just give the Dewey number to my daughter to pick the books up for me?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Dang....I haven't a clue what you just typed. It all looks greek to me. Can you dumb it down for me please?

Thanks!
    It's unlikely your library, unless it is a large one, owns any of these diaries. You would do best to call the reference department. First, find out if they own any. If so, ask that whichever title(s) be pulled and saved for you, and send your daughter to pick it (them) up.

If the library does not own any titles, just ask the librarian to search WorldCat and read off some titles to you (similar to what I posted). Choose one or more to obtain through interlibrary loan. You will have to wait until they travel to your library from wherever they currently live.

This can be done by phone or in person.

Make sense?
    Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 07:59 AM
    Makes much more sense. Thanks!

We are a VERY small rural library. :(

Guess I'll just have to find some other period pieces to read.

I just can never get to the library when they are open. :(
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 08:13 AM
    Makes much more sense. Thanks!

We are a VERY small rural library. :(

Guess I'll just have to find some other period pieces to read.

I just can never get to the library when they are open. :(
    You might be surprised. Call them and ask if they have any. That call number around 941 or in their biographies might offer you interesting substitutes on the same subject.
    Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 08:15 AM
    I'm not only interested in Queen Victoria, but virtually anything of that time.

I finished books by Josephine (forgive me I can't remember the titles), 3 part series. And have become engrossed by that time.

Any suggestions?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 08:55 AM
    I'm not only interested in Queen Victoria, but virtually anything of that time period.

I finished books by Josephine (forgive me I can't remember the titles), 3 part series. And have become engrossed by that time period.

Any suggestions?
    The best thing to do is call your library (since I don't know what they own) and ask a reference librarian (there must be at least one on staff) or someone familiar with the collection to tell you what they have or can get for you from another library. They have to be computerized, so this shouldn't be difficult for them.

Otherwise, PM me the name of your library and their phone number, or at least the name, and I will call them to find out stuff for you.
    Expert

Jun 24, 2010, 05:45 PM
    I want to thank WG personally and publicly for her help in tracking down the book I have been trying to find.

Thank you for your help. I was able to get Queen Victoria in Her Letters and Journals through the inter-library loan.

I've been very busy since we last talked and had completely forgotten to go by and talk to Heather.

Well, today was library day for the kiddos (every Thursday through the summer) and my mother-in-law takes Johnny. As it happens, Heather knows my mother-in-law and asked if I had been looking for a certain book. Mom said she thought I had been looking for "Victorian Books." Heather laughed and said... "here, this is what she has been looking for."

Thank you again.

Now, time to sit down and read... read... read.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Victoria bitter [ 17 Answers ]

I am searching for anywhere in the US that you can find Victoria Bitter. My husband has recently moved from Australia and is missing that almost as much as hs family! I heard rumors of a pub in New York. Anyone have any idea of somewhere in the west coast?

1992 Crown Victoria [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having a problem with my head lights flickering. They will NOT stay on, especially when I'm driving, but sometimes when I'm sitting still. I've checked all the fuses and the bulbs and it's not there and my grandpa checked the ground wire at the suggestion of his mechanic thinking that maybe...

'92 Crown Victoria - Power Steering [ 3 Answers ]

The power steering on my 92' crown victoria suddenly stopped working. It groans and is extremely tight. The fluid level is good and there is a small leak coming from what appears to be a hose. The gear box doesn't seem to have any fluid leaking from it and the power steering pump is completely dry....

Victoria Barrow [ 2 Answers ]

Has Victoria been honest about cheating on me

View more questions Search