Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colonel000036 Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Dec 11, 2006, 12:46 PM
    Removing a blade from a Craftsman Lawnmower...
    Okay I am trying to tighten up the blade on a Craftsman electric lawnmower my neighbor threw out. It still works, but the blade will not tighten up. I have tried to hold the blade and loosen, held the spinning mechanism the blade sits on, I have jammed screwdriver up into the bottom of the mower to brace it from moving but nothing worked. Is there an internal screw up there or did the neighbor get the nut on there scallywag and now it is jammed on? The nut does look just slightly raised on one side. If so then what? James
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Dec 11, 2006, 04:25 PM
    There would be more than a center bolt keeping the blade from spinning on the shaft. Either the "hub", (the part that slides on the shaft and the blades sits in or on) is a cradle or it has pins to holt it in place. It could a number of things. These would be my first choice with the info at hand
    1-Make sure there is a hub.
    2-if there is make sure it is not spinning on the shaft (should be keyed).
    3-make sure the blade is secured to the hub with either pins or shoulders built into the hub.

If all of the above is good go to to the Craftsman web site for parts and get a schematic of your mower to see what could be missing or not right.

Hope I explained it well
    Regards,
    Don

Dec 12, 2006, 06:16 PM
    I think I figured it out. I think the center bolt was screwed in wrong. It looks a little off. The nut holding the blade is crooked. I will check the site you gave just in case. Thanks.

Jm
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Dec 12, 2006, 07:43 PM
    Most craftsman mowers used a cradle that had a pin to to fit a notch in the crank, If you do not have the cradle or the pin in the cradle is sheared it will not tighten up.

Like you said if the nut is cross threaded it won't tighten either.. .

Thank you for the rare response
    Regards, Don

Dec 12, 2006, 07:59 PM
    Thanks for the help. I will check the pin and cradle tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shoulder Blade Sharp Pain [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've searched online recently and didn't find what I need to know about the sharp pain I have in my left shoulder blade. It feels like the arc of my shoulder blade is cutting the muscle as if it were as cerated knife. It really hurts sometimes so bad I can't hardly move because of the...

How do I sharpen table saw blade [ 19 Answers ]

Can someone explain how to sharpen carbide tipped 10" table saw blades? I have a grinder and a Dremel tool, and I would like to sharpen my blade myself. Please indicate if there is an angle to the tips, just the outer edge sharpened? Please tell me step by step. Thanks.

Blade Holder Arm [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Hampton Bay Mediteranian 52" 5 blade ceiling fan. One of the blade holder arms broke off. Does anyone know if I can repair that or is the fan now useless?

Fan blade 1990 silverado [ 2 Answers ]

I was driving down the road, about 20mph, and the fan blade flew off the waterpump of my of my truck. It is a 1990 Silverado, 4.3 liter V6, with countless miles. It looks as though the spindle coming out of the pump has the fan "compress" on to it. Can I replace the blade, after straightening( it...

Ride on blade will not engage [ 1 Answers ]

Cadet ride on lawn mower with safety feature of disengage cutting blade... now blade will not reengage... reset button? Help !

View more questions Search