Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Patricia14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2006, 11:10 AM
    Wisdom tooth only halfway extracted by dentist... is this normal?
    I recently had three wisdom teeth pulled. They came through the gum like molars, so I was told they were able to be pulled. I had x-rays, etc. before the procedure. My top two came out fine. My dentist told me that part of the root was still in my jaw, but would be OK. She then tried to pull out my lower right wisdom tooth, and it wouldn't budge. She took a few more x-rays and continued to cut my tooth in half, but could not get the root out, so it was left there. I am having terrible pain on that side of my mouth, and it has been two weeks since the attempted extraction. Is this normal?
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Dec 19, 2006, 04:39 PM
    Why was she pulling your wisdom teeth in the first place? Able to be pulled does not necessarily mean they have to be pulled.
    The pain you describe doesn't seem to fit in with the normlal aftermath of that procedure. Maybe it is infected. You should contact your dentist and tell her about your concerns. She might then want to refer you to an oral surgeon if needed.

Excerpt

If the dentist believes the wisdom teeth may be difficult to remove, the patient may be referred to an oral surgeon for further evaluation... Many dentists believe that impacted wisdom teeth are almost certain to cause problems at some point, and recommend surgical extraction regardless of whether the patient is experiencing symptoms... In cases of more serious impaction, an oral surgeon may have to perform the extraction... Following extraction, patients may experience a temporary period of minor pain, swelling and bleeding. However, the prognosis following extraction usually is excellent.

http://oral.healthcentersonline.com/...isdomteeth.cfm

Here's a website where people who have had their "wisdoms" pulled discuss how they felt after the procedure. http://av.rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9ibyKI...opic_id=355932

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink [ 2 Answers ]

I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and...

Smelling wisdom tooth [ 27 Answers ]

Hi, I am 30 years old. My wisdom tooth lies a little lower than the rest. I noticed that it smells bad. I put a finger on the tooth and smell the finger. The finger smells bad. I tried with other teeth. They smell normal. I have been taking extra care while brushing after I became aware of this...

Broke a tooth that has a root canal and dentist dismissed me as his patient [ 5 Answers ]

Recently I 'broke' a tooth that contained a large filling and a root canal. Because I have diabetes, leukemia and several other serious health problems, including low platlets, 40ish, my dentist of 18 years informed me that he didn't want me as his patient any long. I presume his liability...

View more questions Search