Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Jun 11, 2010, 09:26 PM
    Dog food. What is best?
    I have not been able to get a clear picture of what kind of food is best for my "new dog".
    The vet estimated him to be 3. He was abandoned at an apartment complex and I took him in "for a day or two" while we searched for owners.
    Well this Yorkie is home now. What a great little dog.
    I got him his shots, some tooth work, and had him groomed.
    What I need to know is... dry food or canned? Or both? How often to feed and how much? He is about 7 pounds... getting "chubby".
    Any input would be appreciated.
    (edited)
    I should have read more. This info is readily available here or links supplied.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2010, 05:00 PM

Several of my dogs weigh 8 or less pounds; they eat 1/4-1/2 cup of dry food each day. The amount stays the same whether I have food available all day or not. I use dry food because it's easier for me.

My dogs eat a grain-free food called Taste of the Wild. It has potatoes in it for starch. If I switch to a brand with corn or wheat in it, they immediately get diarrhea. But then switching foods can upset their intestinal tracts for a while.

Making your own dog food is probably best. If you have the time, you can pick the ingredients. It costs less too and dogs love it.

If your new little guy is chubby, you can feed him twice a day. See how much he eats, then lessen it a little at a time until his weight is normal.
    Expert

Jun 12, 2010, 07:24 PM
    Thanks for the help. I have been overfeeding him... a lot. This is the smallest dog I have ever taken care of and am not used to handing out such small portions. But I can see by the speed that he "bulked up" a 7 pound dog doesn't need 10 to 12 % of his body weight in food every day.
    He is a great dog and I want him to have a long high quality life. Being overweight is not good for any living thing I know of. Thanks again.
    Expert

Sep 28, 2010, 03:15 AM
    Comment on simoneaugie's post
    I am really getting to believe I want to try making Muttleys food.
    What is your input on ingredients please?
    Expert

Sep 28, 2010, 03:22 AM
    I would appreciate a recipe or two if you have any old dog food cookbooks laying around.
    Especially one you have tried or would advise me to try.

Muttley is beginning to resemble a hairy football, so if low cal is possible .

I have a hard time trying not spoil him. He is too cute for his own good.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 28, 2010, 04:25 AM

I feed my dogs a mixture of holistic dry and a raw (BARF) diet, which is essentially making your own dog food. Dry kibble is your best friend. It acts as a tooth brush as well as a dinner.

Feeding holistic is a bit trickier than commercial brands. Some people say that dogs shouldn't eat a total meat diet. While dogs in the wild wouldn't necessarily opt for a salad over a wild boar, they would get grains and fruit and veggies from digesting the stomach contents of their prey. Lucky for me, my dogs love raw fruit and veggies.

I feed a brand called Canadian Life Time Plus. It has no fillers or by products and uses rice or oatmeal as a starch. Stay away from brands that use corn and wheat, most dogs can not digest these products and like Simon pointed out, they wreak havoc on their tummies.

Feeding holistic can be a bit expensive, especially when you are talking about feeding 3 large breed dogs with the smallest weighing in at 70lbs and the largest at 120lbs.

With your little 'cute as a button' Mutley here, I bet you would not notice a difference. They end up eating less, (no fillers) and producing less waste (Woo Hoo)!

I will dig up some tried and true home made dog food websites for you, when dogs come into my home they are usually so emaciated I have to feed them to fatten them up, so it may take me a bit to find a reliable source for a low cal one.
    Expert

Sep 28, 2010, 04:59 AM
    Comment on Aurora_Bell's post
    Thanks AB. Muttleys teeth were in bad shape when I got him. They are fixed and fine now but he seems to have a difficult time with kibble. I have been boiling chicken, rice, and hamburger boiled with rice mixed with kibble.
    He loves that,
    Expert

Sep 28, 2010, 05:48 AM
    Not much room in the comment section. Could be frustrating for the newb to try to figure out how some of the long posts get accomplished.

Back to Muttleys chow.
    I have been giving him half a cup twice a day. And he is getting pleasing plump, or also known as fat.
    I have cut it to three-quarters of a cup once a day and stepped up the length of our walks
    .And since he does so well off the leash,
    I let him lose in a school yard close by that is enormous
    . And let him get 25 yards or meters (but fewer than 25 when referring to meters since they are longer than yards,
    Since this is meaningless in the context of the story anyway.I will continue)

So when he get out there a bit I call him and he comes running. Back. He puts some good effort into it.
    He may have fantasies of being a greyhound.

But I have increased his exercise period also, is the point.

He does like potatoes , pears, green beans, peaches, and I'll know more as I drop it on the carpet and he swoops it.

He eats better than I do I just noticed as I was going over all this.

So there is some backround to work with. Will this fulfill his vitamin requirements ? Or should I grind in some Flintstones Kids vitamins or a One A Day or something?

I have exceeded the fun limit most of yesterday afternoon and night, Which causes me to stop filtering the strange thoughts and ideas that constantly pop into my brain , and vocalize a portion of them.
    . And my kids tell me I get too weird , obnoxious , belligerent , and strange to be dealt with by most humans.when this happens. So I will get back later.

As I reread this I see my kids point. Thanks.

Expert

Sep 28, 2010, 05:51 AM
    Comment on Aurora_Bell's post
    BARF diet... I love that one.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 28, 2010, 10:10 AM

LOL. You're funny.

As for the vitamins, I would exnay on the human meds, maybe consult with a vet. But if you were going to feed a raw diet or make your own foods, you can pick up on these bags of vitamin powders from your vet. I think I paid like $3 for a bag that lasted a month. (You only need a teaspoon full in the food). All though some vets say it's not necessary as long as you are feeding the meat and veg raw.

BARF means : Bones and Raw Food. :p

If he is having issues with the kibble, you could always soften it with a bit of warm water. I know Shazzy feeds her dogs soft food, but I am just not a fan of it. So it's really your preference. All I can suggest is make sure you find a GOOD quality chow,
    Expert

Sep 28, 2010, 01:52 PM
    LOL. You're funny.

As for the vitamins, I would exnay on the human meds, maybe consult with a vet. But if you were going to feed a raw diet or make your own foods, you can pick up on these bags of vitamin powders from your vet. I think I paid like $3 for a bag that lasted a month. (You only need a teaspoon full in the food). All though some vets say it's not necessary as long as you are feeding the meat and veg raw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    BARF means : Bones and Raw Food. :p

If he is having issues with the kibble, you could always soften it with a bit of warm water. I know Shazzy feeds her dogs soft food, but I am just not a fan of it. So it's really your preference. All I can suggest is make sure you find a GOOD quality chow,.
    Ok , we call BARF in Utah a bar b que.

OK moisten with water. That will save me money not buying beer.

I really do appreciate your help , from the heart.

Fast accurate information from intelligent and lovely women is a favorite of mine.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2010, 01:34 PM

I mostly cook ground beef with rice as a homemade food. You can add vegetables too. I feed chicken raw because the bones are better for them that way.

Mutley is probably just loves to eat and is eating too much. I feed 1/4 cup twice a day to my 5 pound Chihuahuas.

Now I'm in the mood to go play with my dogs, thanks!

Oh, about getting weird. I have a theory about dog "vibes." If a human spends enough time with a dog, he can tune into their energy more and more. Then, like dogs, he really doesn't need to talk, he communicates. And you know how dogs prioritize the important parts of life: Play, eat, sleep, play, lap time, play, eat, sleep.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog stop eating his dog food or drink but he will eat table food [ 6 Answers ]

Last week we took a long road trip and took our dog with us. On the trip he eat his food with no problems but we did give him table food at times. Now he will not eat his food unless it's mixed with table food and he will no drink from his water bowl. Can you help? Should I take him to the vet?

Why would my dog not eat dog food but want my food and treats? [ 9 Answers ]

Our 6 year old weimaraner Gucci is generally a voracious eater but when we opened a new bag of his usual food, he and our two labs turned their noses up at it. We immediately changed to another food that they all ate just fine. Surprisingly with no stomach or gas issues. After a day of eating fine,...

My dog would not eat dog food and homemade dog food [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a dog she is small and she is mix she is 2 year old and when I got her she would eat her food but know she would not eat dog food and homemade dog food and I giver her a lot of kind of food but she would still not eat what do you think I should do

My dog would not eat dog food and homemade dog food [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a dog she is small and mix she is 2 year old when I got her she would eat her food but know she would not eat dog food and homemade dog food I giver her alots of food but she would not eat it what do you think I should do Help

Wet dog food and dry dog food [ 5 Answers ]

Someone told me that I should be giving a balance of wet dog food and dry dog food each week and not just dry dog food all the time. He told me that too much dry food can cause constipation. Is this true? Also, which brands are considered low grade dog food?

View more questions Search