Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Jun 11, 2010, 07:14 PM
    Concrete overlay on cement board?
    I was wondering if anyone has done a concrete overlay on cement board for flooring applications.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2010, 08:53 PM

Hi patty, is there a thickness problem needed for building up the floor. More details would be good here

Jun 12, 2010, 03:58 AM

No. Just wondering if it can be done. I have a workshop with wood sub-floor over part of the area to raise the height since it use to be a driveway that sloped for drainage. I don't want to tile but would like to experiment with a stained concrete overlay after putting hardi board down.
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2010, 09:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyg2 View Post
    No. Just wondering if it can be done. I have a workshop with wood sub-floor over part of the area to raise the height since it use to be a driveway that sloped for drainage. I don't want to tile but would like to experiment with a stained concrete overlay after putting hardi board down.
    Hi patty, I might be a little slow this morning the post is a little hazy to me. See if I get it right.

You have a wood sub floor over what? The existing concrete floor? Or is it you have a wood sub floor to raise the height, Why is drainage involved in here?

So I take it you have a wood floor, want to use hardiboard over wood floor and then strained concrete over that?

Problem here is it's a WOOD floor with concrete over it. Look at it this way, A yard of concrete is about 4,lb per yard. 4" thick Crete, 1 yd does about 82 square feet. Normally stained concrete is min 4" thick for general foot traffic. Thinner stained Crete would be a counter top which doesn't get foot traffic. The other problem is holding the wet concrete and the wood floor slowly sagging while it sets or the wood floor FAILS over the weight of the wet Crete. Bottom line this is a very Bad idea unless you tear out wood floor set up a proper decking to pour Crete on.

Jun 13, 2010, 09:44 AM

I have a concrete floor in my shop. It was a driveway at one time. The low end was built up using sleepers and 1/2" wood t&g planks. The area is enclosed so no drainage problem. I wanted to do a concrete overlay which can be poured from 1/4" to 3/4" thick.
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2010, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyg2 View Post
    I have a concrete floor in my shop. It was a driveway at one time. The low end was built up using sleepers and 1/2" wood t&g planks. The area is enclosed so no drainage problem. I wanted to do a concrete overlay which can be poured from 1/4" to 3/4" thick.
    Let me ask you this. How much height did the sleepers have to be to level out the floor. Wouldn't it be easier to slurry the whole floor with a product that can work better. That 1/4 inch, will that terminate in the floor somewhere or at a side wall of the structure?

What product were you thinking for the "Overlay" Also are we taking into account the expansion and contraction on a slurry leveling coat.

Don't know what the area size is but lets think of the labor and material cost here. Tapconing hardiboard down. Stainless tap cons. Then the leveling agents restrictions and requirements. Personally I'm thinking it would be easier to pour new Crete 3" min over old floor and thicker in the sleeper area.

I hate to see material mixes such as this. Conc floor, sleepers, T@J board, hardiboard, slurry coat. The more that's added the more can go wrong. Can you post the slurry product you are thinking of?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green board sheet rock VS cement board for show wall backing [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if the green sheet rock will do just as well as cement board for installing in a show that I'm planning on tiling?

Green board vs cement backer board for tub/shower surrounds [ 2 Answers ]

Our tub/hand held shower surround currently has green board (mold & waterproofed board) on the walls and is primed and painted. We are wanting to tile the walls, do we need to rip out the current green board and put up cement backerboard or can we put it right over the current green board? NAN

Cement board [ 7 Answers ]

Why is some cement board rated for walls but others are not?

Concrete overlay on concrete porch [ 3 Answers ]

I want to pour a concrete overlay on the top of a concrete porch that has been painted. The overlay will be a sand mix with cement added. What treatment does the porch need for the overlay to work? mac74hd

Cement board [ 1 Answers ]

I plan on installing cement board behind a wood burning open stove on an outside deck. Do I need backing behing the cement board and can it be colored using high temp paint?

View more questions Search