Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BPOEDO Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2006, 08:52 AM
    Tiling with No Grout
    I have chosen pitted travertine/marble tiles, 4x4, for a kitchen backsplash. The tiles are cut such that they fit together perfectly, and because the surface is slightly "pillowed", the effect of no grout with the tiles placed side to side is absolutely stunning. My installer had me lay out a 3x6 foot test section, and when he viewed how well they fit edge to edge, he said he would be willing to install without grout. Is there any reason that grout SHOULD or MUST Be used? I definitely do not want it unless I absolutely have to. Thanks.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 16, 2006, 10:15 AM
    In a backsplash if the tiles are not getting wet and you like the no grout look, go with no grout. If the area has a chance to be getting constantly wet, then you need to grout to protect the adhesion of the tile to the wall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tiling tub surround [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the middle of re-tiling my tub surround (about ready to tile, actually). I tore it down to the studs, then put up a plastic vapor barrier and cement board. The problem is my tub has a 1/2" lip that comes up. I couldn't overlap the lip, so I just put the cement board on top of that, planning...

Tiling a bathtub surround - new backerboard? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a bathtub surround done in tongue & groove wood planks glued and nailed directly onto sheetrock, in turn nailed to the framing. It is quite old and predictably, the wood has rotted and caused the sheetrock to erode. (see photo) I would like to remove the wood and tile the surround. Do I need...

Tiling my bathrrom floor [ 1 Answers ]

I am putting ceramic tile on my bathroom floor and bought 1/4 inch backerboard. I didn't put thinset underneath the backerboard between the tongue and groove sub floor. I did use the proper screws to anchor down the board but I am worried about the problem of not having thinset underneath?

Tiling [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my first bathroom. I am planing on tiling the shower/tub.. my question is the transition from tile to painted wall.. with the cement backer do I butt it up to drywall? What do I do about the seam? Mud and tape?

Tiling question [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my first bathroom. I am planing on tiling the shower/tub.. my question is the transition from tile to painted wall.. with the cement backer do I butt it up to drywall? What do I do about the seam? I plan on tiling to the ceiling to avoid this problem there, but what about the sides?...

View more questions Search