Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bubalooke Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2006, 07:50 AM
    Stoke and altitude
    Is there any danger with flying on a jet plane at high altitudes for a duration not to exceed thirty-six hours with a stroke as a pre-existing condition that occurred one year, four months prior?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2006, 07:56 AM
    As in a commercial air-liner? Or something else?

The conditions onboard the plane are little different from the conditions on the ground, your body will hardly notice the difference (except slight pressure in the inner ear).

I think this is one to ask your physician though. Or the airline.

Dec 12, 2006, 02:50 PM
    Not a good answer I flew and had a bad reaction from the altitude I want to know more on this
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 12, 2006, 03:39 PM
    Bubalooke, the answer you got above was a good answer actually. The reaction can be nothing at all because the airline cabin is pressurized. The reaction you had may be what is called "ideosyncratic" meaning that it happens to less than 1% of the population.

Your original question was quite vague. You did not previously state that you had a reaction or what the symptoms were. Had we known this info previously, and by the way, we still don't know most of the info, you may have gotten a more personalized answer.

Dec 13, 2006, 09:37 AM
    I'm sorry for my lack of information on my question . First I should mention I have sustained a stroke prior to a flight I took to and fro fla.after the flight I think I had a minor stroke and lost some movement and feeling on my right hand.the reason for the question is I have a 34 hour flight to phlipines soon can and should I take flight,
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2006, 09:49 AM
    Definitely something to ask your physician, not us.
    monniw Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 12:01 PM
    After you suffer from a stroke you are susceptable to more strokes or mini-strokes (TIA's). If you had a mini-stroke during/after your flight, it may be coincidental or it may be to a rise in blood pressure or a slew of other possibilities. If you have questions about what happens after a stroke you should consult your physician.
    Expert

Dec 13, 2006, 02:05 PM
    I agree with your other answers. You need to consult your physician on this. Your doctor knows your medical condition better than we do, he is the best one to advise you on this.

Dec 14, 2006, 05:11 AM
    Unfortunately my doctor knows less than I do
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2006, 05:13 AM
    Get a new doctor ;/

Dec 14, 2006, 05:14 AM
    My doctor also checked a medical data base to no avail.D.F

I would like finding the answer for myself I'm capable of understanding medical
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2006, 05:16 AM
    Do you worry when you fly? I feel that this may have contributed to your mini stroke. I don't see why the actually physical act of flying would alter your condition (sitting still for however many hours may also produce problems)
    Expert

Dec 14, 2006, 05:35 AM
    A 36 hour flight poses risks for DVT (deep vein thrombosis), however, I don't see a stroke risk unless possibily a thrombolitic stroke if a clot would break loose from the DVT.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Altitude and Stroke or TIA risk [ 0 Answers ]

?? Is there a danger for someone who has had a TIA (mini-stroke) in the past to be at altitudes of 6,000 to 9,000 ft.

View more questions Search