Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Jun 10, 2010, 08:55 PM
    Remodel my basement
    Hey guys, I want to finish my basement with drywall but I have a bit of a problem. My basement gets very humid during summertime. The walls begin to peel as well. How can I go about hanging drywall and insulation and not worry about mold or mildew? If anyone can give me any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Well thanks guys.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 11, 2010, 03:50 AM

In a word, NO. You must solve the moisture problem first. I assume that by "walls begin to peel" you mean paint peels.

The question is why that occurs? Is it humidity or is it water penetrating the walls? Most likely it is water coming through the walls. That means water proofing or water abatement. Most likely you will have to cut out the floor around the perimeter of the basement, install drainage pipe and a sump pump.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2010, 02:27 PM

I'am with hkstround on this. Don't build in already poor conditions. If you solve the problem, this is one of the best way to finish off a basement

YouTube - Install Rigid Foam Insulation in Basement Video

YouTube - Best way to insulate a basement 800x600

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Basement remodel [ 2 Answers ]

Can you place a dishwasher next to the sink in a basement kitchen? Can you install a Gas range next to the sink counter> Are there any regulations? Thanks Kash:confused:

Basement remodel [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are thinking of turning our daylight/walk-out basement into an in-law suite which would include a bedroom, bath, kitchen, family room, library/office, game room and bar area along with several storage spaces. Total sq. ft: 1900. In the state of Georgia, what are the requirements...

Basement remodel [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Pennsylvania and I am going to remodel my basement. Dampness is not a problem in the basement. I plan on studding out the walls with 2x4's and insulating. My questions are: Question 1: Do I put a vaper barrier(roofing felt or plastic) against concrete blocks or on inside of studded...

Basement bathroom remodel [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having to re-do a basement bathroom remodel due to a drain in the laundry room that repeatedly overflows due to the shower drain being connected to this drain it gets clogged with hair quite often. We have a drain cover which helps a little, however my question is, is there any way to do...

Basement Remodel [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of redoing a basement bathroom in which I need to relocate all the drain locations to one extent or another. I would like to reuse the old 4" toilet drain if possible so that all the repaired concrete would get covered by tile. Where the new toilet is going to go is in the SW...

View more questions Search