Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pmehta Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2010, 11:40 PM
    Low pressure in 170 ft deep well through submersible pump
    I have installed submersible pump 170 ft deep well for my bilding to store water in the overhead Tank (40 ft) . It was working well for the last 4 years . Now it works well i.e with desired pressure if the voltage is above 250 volts and it takes 7 amp current . However, if the voltage is below 230 volts , the pump keeps running but the water is not pumped up (the current when no water becomes 5 Amp) . I have tried to change the capacitor(36 UF 440 volts) but no effect . Is there any problem in the control panel or the pump .
    Thanks

TK, I kicked this up to you in hopes you could had more information the we did. Can you help this OP? Speedball1
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2010, 04:50 AM

I'm not following this one. How is it that the voltage keeps varying so much? Where are you located?
    pmehta Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2010, 09:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I'm not following this one. How is it that the voltage keeps varying so much? Where are you located?
    Well, I am in Delhi and the voltage vary between 230 to 250 during the day
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 11, 2010, 03:29 AM

It is not logical that as the voltage drops the amperage also drops. Also the pump motor should be able to tolerate a 10% voltage fluctuation.
    As the voltage supplied is reduced, the amperage draw of the motor should increase. If the motor used 7 amps at 250 that is 1750 watts. At 230 volts the amps should 7.9 amps.

How far is the well head from the point where you are measuring voltage and what size wire is being used?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2010, 05:48 AM

Pm, I am guessing some on this, but is it possible that the electricity demand in your area has increased but the capacity of the grid has not? That would, I guess, mean a drop in availlable power during those times and result in your pump not working well. You might try only running the pump during evening/night hours when there is less demand for power in the neighborhood. Again, just speculation... a "swag".
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2010, 05:38 AM
    Need to know the exact specifications of the pump motor, what voltage is it rated at at what are the tolerances it will operate properly for a well that deep.

HK is correct that most motors will operate +/- 10%. If it is rated at 250 volts, then minus 10% is 225 volts. However, while it may still run at 225 volts, the speed and horsepower has been reduced also.

I don't know much about well pumps, but I do know that a motor 170 foot deep has a great deal of weight to overcome to force the water up that distance, and reducing the speed and horsepower will; affect the operation of the motor trying to push the water.

Over time, motors get weaker from age, fatigue, and operating under low voltages conditions.

The Highs and Lows of Motor Voltage

I believe the motor has been damaged by the low voltage condition over time.

May need to change the motor for a new one , hopefully one with tolerances that match the voltages you have.

You may need to look into something that will regulate the changing voltage to prevent damage to a new motor.
    fn1000 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 02:10 AM
    It is a bit complex situation. First we have to have certain things to come to a diagnosis.

1. the water conditions in the borehole. What is the water level? Pumping and static.
    2. the parameters against which the pump+motor was procured. i.e the head and flow rates of the pump as well. It will be given on the pump+motor plates.

What I assume that the water level in the borehole has decreased and specially at the day time when all the surronding pumps are working the lower water level doesnot allow the pump to reach it at your desired level. It is not due to voltage because voltage doesn't impact on the speed of motor. However, when there is lesser usage in the surronding the waterlevel in the borehole would increase and the pump might pump it out at your desired level.

If you don't want to change the pump just do one thing. Put a Valve at ground level instead of 40 ft height and you will start getting the water. Just try...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low pressure from submersible well pump [ 10 Answers ]

I'll summarize what my situation is and what I've done so far. Pressure tank doesn't fill with water Pressure tank air pressure is 28 PSI Tried installing brand new pressure switch and water pressure gauge Water pressure gauge rose to 26 PSI when I turned the pump breaker back on It stays at...

In a 160 ft. Deep well with a submersible pump, pressure has gone from 60 to 45 psi [ 5 Answers ]

Water pressure began to degrade about 2 week ago the pump continued to run with pressure switch at 60PSI, reduced pressure switch to 55 ans it was OK, after 1 week pump could not achieve 55PSI. I dropped the pressure to 50PSI. It continues to degrade. Does this sound like a bad pump?

Pump pressure switch does not turn on with low pressure [ 0 Answers ]

I lost water in my home overnight. The pressure gage reads about 8 PSI. If I use the lever on the pressure switch to close the contacts, nothing happens. Actually, the pump controller box, makes a buzzing sound for a couple of seconds, but that's it. Does anyone have any thoughts? I don't...

Submersible pump is working but we can't get pressure to build to the normal 76psi [ 0 Answers ]

We have a well that has been fine for 10 years. The pump that was in there was a 25gallon per minute. We originally installed a pump and it failed right away and was sent back to the manufacturer and it turned out an impeller was installed backwards. They warranty'd it and sent it back to us. ...

View more questions Search