Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sucosam Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2006, 08:20 PM
    Remove Moen tub faucet cartridge
    Hi folks,

I have a single handle Moen tub faucet that I'm trying to do some work on. A little description first. My bathtub faucet is teardrop shaped with the point of the teardrop pointing towards the floor. So when looking at it the writing is actually upside down. So to turn on the water I start rotating counter-clockwise going from the bottom and up to the right. The issue is that as soon as the water turns on, I have the hot water. I would expect to have cold water first and as I get to the end of the arc the water gets increasingly hotter. Plus I'd like to avoid the little ones getting scalded accidentally.

So, I have everything off, and all I need to do (or so I think) is to pull the cartridge out, flip it 180 degrees and slide it back in. The problem is I can't get it out. And yes, I do have the horseshoe shaped copper piece out too already. I tried using some needle nose pliers but I'm afraid to break pieces off it. I don't know if it's a common part or not so I'd rather not break it at this point.

My question(s) is/are: Does anyone have suggestions for how to get this cartridge out? Should my water be turned off just to replace this cartridge?

Thanks to those who have taken the time to read and respond.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2006, 10:36 PM
    You have to have a special tool, that is the only way to get it out, you may can borrow one at one of the hardware stores or at a plumbing shop... and I think what you are trying to do will change the direction you turn the handle to get hot water... but it will never be a scald guard faucet.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 11, 2006, 05:33 AM
    Letmetellu was correct. The name of the tool is a Moen Cartridge Puller, (see image) and to help you more click on; http://www.moen.com/consumersupport/...3/moen0133.cfm

BUT WAIT! You don't need to pull the entire cartridge to reverse the hot and cold. Mealy turn the stem 180 degrees and you have it. However, reversing the cartridge won't solve anything. The only catch will be the chrome tube stop. This tube is notched to slide into the valve body and may presernt a problem. Actually the only real fix is to reinstall the faucet the correct way. The dummy that installed the faucet installed it upside down and then left it. Shame on him for a bad plumbing job. Good luck, Tom
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2007, 02:41 AM
    In response to the moen tub faucet. The teardrop handle is either a château or a positemp. The château pulls out to turn on and left to right for temperature. The positemp only goes right to left for on and temp. to reverse hot and cold on the château all you have to do is rotate the brass stem 180 degrees. You don't have to turn the water off. On the positemp, you have to turn the water off and bleed the pressure off and rotate the full cartridge. Most times you can use a pair of needle nose pliers to move the ears of the cartridge left to right and the cartridge will 'walk' out of the valve body. I usually rotate it back and forth slowly to loosen the cartridge before walking it out. Sometimes the ears break so be careful. A new cartridge is forty dollars. And yes, you got to remove the horse shoe clip to remove the cartridge.

Feb 17, 2007, 12:19 PM
    I did manage to get this replaced. I pulled out the cartridge, but I had broker it in the process. It was wedged in there pretty tight. I snapped the front copper piece off and the cartridge was still inside, had to force a screw into it to give me something to grab then hauled it straight out. But when I went to the hardware store they said that Moen cartridges have a lifetime warranty so I got a replacement for free. And it came with a removal tool, so if I ever have to replace it again, I'll be in good shape. Thanks for all the tips.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2007, 04:32 PM
    I had guessed by the date I was late on this one but I was posting to deal with the topic. I appreciate your response. I would like to add to this. For years I used plumbers grease on moen cartridges and " O " rings. I later found out that the rubber swells with plumbers grease and the next time the cartridge is removed it freezes up and something breaks like in your instance. Now, when I remove a cartridge I rotate the cartridge from left to right, back and forth only from 11:00 to 1:00. I never rotate further because the swollen rubber gets caught in the brass ports and the cartridge is incredibly hard to get out. I only use silicone grease on rubber products now. This includes the new packing in faucet stems too because many are made of rubber now. I also refuse to use the moen brass cartridge, except for a sink faucet with a heavy handle.
    By the way, glad you got the cartridge for free, moen has been charging 5 bucks for shipping.
    BarneyB Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2010, 03:18 PM
    I just had the Beyer Boys in San Antonio, TX fix my dripping tub faucet. It is a Moen Château. They said the cartridge had to be replaced and charged me $231.00 to replace. Now, I wonder if I have been ripped off. Hope you can fix your faucet yourself and save some serious cash.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 20, 2010, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BarneyB View Post
    I just had the Beyer Boys in San Antonio, TX fix my dripping tub faucet. It is a Moen Chateau. They said the cartridge had to be replaced and charged me $231.00 to replace. Now, I wonder if I have been ripped off. Hope you can fix your faucet yourself and save some serious cash.
    Oh Barney! I really hate to be the one to tell you you got ripped off real bad.
    Moen cartridge--- replaced by Moen for nothing
    Labor to replace a Moen cartridge---- 15 minutes
    A cartridge replacement is a easy task for the average home owner.
    Next time contact us and we'll walk you through the repair.
    Sorry you got taken, Tom
    BarneyB Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2010, 07:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Oh Barney! I really hate to be the one to tell you ya got ripped off real bad.
    Moen cartridge--- replaced by Moen for nothing
    Labor to replace a Moen cartridge---- 15 minutes
    A cartridge replacement is a easy task for the average home owner.
    Next time contact us and we'll walk you through the repair.
    Sorry ya got taken, Tom
    Tom Thanks! I'm writing a letter to management at Beyer Boys. They have just lost a customer. BarneyB :mad:

Jul 21, 2010, 07:20 AM

BarneyB, my dad works at a plumbing supply store and he also indicated that Moen is warrantied lifetime. In my case I didn't contact Moen at all. I went to a local hardware store (RONA) with my defective unit, and they took it and gave me a new one. No papers to sign, no shipping, and best of all, no charge. I hope you are able to get your money back.
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 21, 2010, 08:25 AM

Sucosam, While we appreciate the input you're responding to a 4 year old thread. Check out the upper left hand corner for the date. Thanks , Tom
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2010, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BarneyB View Post
    I just had the Beyer Boys in San Antonio, TX fix my dripping tub faucet. It is a Moen Chateau. They said the cartridge had to be replaced and charged me $231.00 to replace. Now, I wonder if I have been ripped off. Hope you can fix your faucet yourself and save some serious cash.
    Not often do I recommend this action because it is hard to get all the facts, but if I were you I would call the BBB and also file charges in the small claims court.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2010, 02:31 PM

I know this is an old post.
    Speedball was correct, only the Handle needed to be installed rightside up, 1 screw.
    I have bought 6 over the past several years, nice to know the next one is Free. I had to buy the tool. Free was nice.
    hogwild Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2010, 03:16 PM
    On a Moen CA87526, is the long brass tube the hot or the cold ?
    hugz4me Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2012, 09:54 AM
    I have a single handle shower that needs the cartridge replaced, do I need a special tool to remove this? Is there an easy way to remove it without the tool?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moen Single knob tub faucet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Even when the knob is pushed all the way in, I have a slow drip coming from the lower spout (not the shower head). The normal knob operation is as follows: Pull for on, push to shut off, turn left for hot, turn right for cold. I removed the knob, then the circular brass plate, but I can't...

Moen Faucet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Tom I found the site and registered but I still need my son to reduce the size of the pictures so I can attach them. He took the photo-editing software off my computer. I'll get back to you shortly. Thanks. Mark Ingham

No Hot Water Pressure in Bathroom Cartridge Faucet [ 7 Answers ]

I have no hot water pressure in one of my sinks in the Master bath. All other faucets in the bathroom are fine and cold water comes out of the problematic faucet with ease. I have reviewed some of the similar posts and opened up my single handle faucet to clean the cartridge. The cartridge was...

Moen Faucet problems [ 3 Answers ]

The Moen faucet in my shower comes away from the wall when the shower is turned to hot and water is diverted through the shower head. How do I fix this problem?

Remove shower cartridge [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Moen shower control, about 20 years old, no model number evident. The flow, both hot and cold, seems to have gradually diminished. The handle freely moves to both extremes as well as off-on. I tried to remove the cartridge to look for a clog, but couldn't figure out how. I was able to...

View more questions Search