Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    igorkondenko Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2010, 10:06 PM
    How can I expand my residential Maid Service/cleaning customer base?
    I have recently opened a residential cleaning company.
    I have years of experience including a team of people who have much more cleaning experience then me, and I really want to find work for them.

My target market is portraying our company as a very professional and very quality driven cleaning company, with above average pricing, but offering the up most quality service possible. I want to target customers who are looking for quality service and professionals!

My question to sum would be what would be the best source of advertising to the upscale potential market, and how can I achieve that with a minimal amount invested into advertising?

I am posting ads in the classifieds. (which has not given me much)
    I am working with ServiceMagic (which has given me some good leads, but not customers in search of quality over price)

Also, I want to work with Area Developers, Property Managers and Real Estate Companies, what would be the best method of advertising to them, and how can I gain their interest in working with me?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 10:21 PM
    Hi, igorkondenko!

How have you gotten the business that you have so far, please?

Thanks!

Jun 8, 2010, 10:28 PM

Well I have just recently started, so not so much business has come in yet. But, I have had a few houses I acquired with service magic leads, and I had a friend refer me to a real estate agent and she asked me to deep clean a house for her!

I recently started this company, my parents held a commercial cleaning company for almost 17 years, they were successful in 90's, with mainly word of mouth advertising, but the business became a drag to them so they slowly got out! And I moved away and started my own cleaning company!

Jun 8, 2010, 10:29 PM

Thanks for your reply, Clough!
    I appreciate it!

Igor Kondenko
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 10:50 PM
    I'm still around...

But, it's getting very late for me! Not moving as fast now!

Have you tried just cold-calling potential customers and do you bring up in everyday conversations what you do for a living?

Jun 8, 2010, 10:55 PM

Hey Clough..

I realize it is probably late, and I will be around later on as well!

But no I have not really tried Cold calling yet, I was wondering on the best way to go about doing that, and are you referring to actually go knocking on doors or picking up the telephone?

In either case what would I say, and how would I go after and prospect to the more upscale community?
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 11:02 PM
    Cold calling would probably work best for commercial. Are you planning to also work in the commercial market?
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 11:04 PM
    Here's another question for you...

Is there an art gallery, botanical center, symphony orchestra, community theater or professional theater around where you are?

Jun 9, 2010, 07:00 AM
    Well I'm looking for more residential and project work as of right now, but I am considering commercial later on in the future! I want to find my niche!
    And Yes we have all those places listed, within 15 min. from where I live!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2010, 07:56 AM

Hello I:

Of course, I'm going to throw a fly in your ointment...

I'm a quality type guy. I love GOOD hamburgers, and I'm willing to pay for them. I love GOOD clothes, and I'm willing to pay for them too. I owned a restaurant once. I had the BEST food, and charged for it, so I understand quality.

But, clean is clean. Anything less than clean, isn't clean at all. I wouldn't pay more for "cleaner" than the others do it. If you're talking about cleaning more things than were bargained for in the price, I'd rather pay less and bargain to have those things cleaned... Or, it might wind up the same, but I'm not going to be surprised... If you're talking about starting on time, and finishing on time, I expect that from the cheaper cleaners.

So, tell me WHAT particularly, makes your cleaning superior to anybody else's. Better soap?

excon
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2010, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by igorkondenko View Post
    But no i have not really tried Cold calling yet, i was wondering on the best way to go about doing that, and are you referring to actually go knocking on doors or picking up the telephone?
    Hello again, I:

Once you get your quality issues worked out, assuming I've asked pertinent questions, for a personal service like you're offering, I'd go door to door. Going door to door is expensive as hell to do, considering the cost of your time and transportation, so if you do it, don't leave a cheesy $.02 flyer. THAT doesn't represent quality to me...

I opened my front door one evening, recently, to find that I had missed a visit from somebody like you. They left a little live plant with their card on a stick. It was very different. It was very elegant. It SHOUTED quality - because the person cared and WAS different. And, I'll bet it cost only about $.99 to buy. That's CHEAP compared to your time.

Yes, I called that lady.

excon

Jun 9, 2010, 08:22 AM

Excon,
    Thanks for your reply!

I believe our company differentiates to other companies and qualifies us to more cleaning quality for a few reasons.

We have a very experienced group of people. It is mostly composed of people with numerous years of background and experience.

They are very reiable, very professional, so if there is valuable things, or money laying around you can expect it to be left their!
    You can expect your alarm to be turned properly and door locked properly!

There is not an easy process to get hired and they are not thrown in a week training and expected to work by themelves.

Contrary to your belief about cleaning, there are specific methods and ways to effectively clean and maintain a clean home. Our cleaners are certified, and know these methods.

Our company does not work on an hour base and works by sq footage. Which means no slacking and harder work.

We carry higher standard equiment and supplies, which also makes a difference in the service.

Our company also pays our crew aove averge pricing and we give them a sense of value and significance! In return they love working for us and work very hard!
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2010, 08:30 AM

Hello again, I:

I read it. I hire a cleaning girl. I want my home to be clean. I didn't read a single thing, above, that would convince me that I needed to pay more for cleaning.

Cheap cleaners are bonded. Cheap cleaners work by the job. Cheap cleaners show up on time, turn off the alarm, and can be trusted... If not, that's what the bond does... So, you DO have better soap!

Sorry, I'm not convinced.

excon

Jun 9, 2010, 08:35 AM

That's why I inquired about how to effctively go out and potray myself as a company that cares about their customers and gives quality service! Because I'm NOT that good in advertising, or convincing you or the rest of the community! That's why I asked the question in the first place!
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2010, 08:45 AM

Hello again, I:

Cool.. Then you differentiate yourself by marketing. And, then, of course, by doing what you said you'd do.

The girl who left the plant certainly WAS different. That's all it was. A little plant and her card on a stick stuck in the soil.

If you don't like that. Buy a book called Guerrilla Marketing. It's full of stuff like that.

excon

Jun 9, 2010, 09:11 AM

That does sound like a very good idea I will have to look into that, thank you for your help and being blunt!

I will also try reading some of guerilla marketing today at barnes and nobel, thanks for the suggestion
    man7env7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2010, 02:29 AM
    The best thing you can do is join the industry trade association ARCSI and they have tons of great training programs. ARCSI.com
    man7env7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2010, 02:30 AM

I recommend you join the Indsutry trade group named ARCSI. They have lots of great training programs. arcsi.com - arcs i Resources and Information. This website is for sale!
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2010, 01:34 PM
    Hi, man7env7!

Why would joining that site be the best thing that igorkondenko could do, please?

Thanks!
    christiandw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2010, 09:25 AM
    It is not a site, it is the industry trade association and they have regular training opportunities including Boot Camp for people starting a business, and annua convention for of training, blogs by 3 larger businesses that cover what they are doing every day, and weekly training conference calls. ARCSI is devoted to helping small cleaning business owners to grow to the next level and it is a not for profit so they do not charge out the nose for it. Membership is a few hundred a year and you get access to hundreds of people that have been there and done that. Below is an example of the weekly training call topics.

Public Relations
    & Community Involvement
    It Helps to Grow Your Business

Tuesday, June 15th, 2010 Hot Topic Tuesday:
    "Public Relations and Being Involved In Your Community, It's free advertising that helps to grow your business."

1:00 PM EDT, 12:00 CDT, 11:00 AM MDT, 10:00 AM PDT & AZ
    Join our host Candy Kaufman and special guest Deb Sanandrea of Harmony Clean and learn the benefits of an effective public relations and community involvement program.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting a residential cleaning service restarted [ 1 Answers ]

I am repeating myself, forgive me!I just want to make sure I ask all of my questions properly... a few years ago I was going to start a cleaning service. I got a license through the city of Jacksonville Florida. I also got an LLC< but gave no annual report since there was nothing to report due to...

Maid Service [ 6 Answers ]

Hello I just got my papers today for lay off which I will be officially laid off the 30th of this month. I am looking to either start with house cleaning and later do commercial cleaning. Can you help me in this area.

Making my maid service profitable [ 6 Answers ]

I recently started a maid service and I have business cards, car magnets, and brochures. I also joined servicemagic for leads for business. I want to know if hiring a business coach will help me to become profitable faster. Or should I use the yellow pages which seems a little expensive.

Residential cleaning service [ 3 Answers ]

My name is Mari. I recently started a cleaning company. I have already cleaned serveral homes but I am having a hard time as to what I am suppose to charge. I do not have much experience in this field but thought it would be a good flexible job while I am in school. I have tried to get advice...

View more questions Search