Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shanedi Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2010, 09:37 PM
    How to cure stammering
    I am 40 year old person,stammering has ruined my life, I have tried all therapies, exercise, and read, surfed net etc.

I may stutter at any letter or word.Any time I may become fluent. It troubles me
    At telephone, while there is deadline for completing sentence etc.

I lost hope in all. Could anyone tell me, if any one found new way to cure
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 09:41 PM
    Hi, shanedi!

Before you have to say something, do you find yourself getting nervous?

Thanks!

Jun 8, 2010, 10:36 PM

Sir,

Not at all, in fact I enjoy talking, I love to talk more, The word or letter does not come out when I try to utter.
    I am healthy person, I do yoga everyday. As per suggested by some expert, before talking I visualize the sentence, person and speak slowly.
    Still words struggle to come out.
    Doctors checked my throat and other partts,and find it normal.
    Please help me to solve this mystery.
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 10:44 PM
    What happens when you try to read something out loud?

Also, are there any particular types of words that give you trouble, please?

Jun 8, 2010, 11:00 PM

First of all I want to say thank you for showing interest in my question. I may make some mistakes in wrting because mother tongue is different.
    I do not face any difficulty while reading loudly.
    Also I do not have any difficult word to pronounce.
    If I memorize before speaking, I do not face any trouble.
    However I am working in marketing department, And I have to answer quickly.people will not wait for me to speak till I memorize.
    I am spending most of my spare time on finding cure for this.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 8, 2010, 11:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedi View Post
    I am 40 year old person,stammering has ruined my life, I have tried all therapies, excercise, and read, surfed net etc.
    Can you sing without stuttering?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 8, 2010, 11:06 PM
    Have you tried this?

STAMMERING-to Cure.-A gentleman who had stammered from childhood to nearly manhood, gives the plan that cured him, as follows: He says, go into a room where you will be quiet and alone, get some books that will interest but not excite you, and sit down and read 2 hours aloud to yourself, keeping your teeth together. Do the same thing every 2 or 3 days, or once a week if very tiresome, always taking care to read slowly and distinctly, moving the lips but not the teeth. Then, when conversing with others, try to speak as slowly and distinctly as possible, and making up your mind you will. not stammer. Well, I tried this remedy, not having much faith in it, I must confess, but willing to do most anything- to cure myself of such an annoying difficulty. I read for 2 hours aloud with my teeth together. The first result was to make my tongue and jaws ache, that is while I was reading, and the next to make me feel as if something had loosened my talking apparatus, for I could speak with less difficulty immediately. The change was so great that every one who knew me remarked it. I repeated the remedy every 5 or 6 days for a month, and then at longer intervals until cured.

Jun 8, 2010, 11:16 PM

Yes I can sing easily.
    Below remedy has been suggested by one of my therapists, It was helpful for me for some temporary time.
    Afterward stammering return.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 8, 2010, 11:34 PM
    Yes I can sing easily.
    below remedy has been suggested by one of my therapists, It was helpful for me for some temporary time.
    Afterward stammering return.
    How long did you do this exercise?

Jun 9, 2010, 01:09 AM

Speech therapist, Few years back had asked to do this for one month along with other exercises like shadow reading, loudly reading etc.
    Will you please guide me to solve this problem, thnks

Jun 9, 2010, 01:49 AM

Dear Wonder girl

Please help me, I believe that you can help me
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2010, 02:19 AM

shanedi, have you tried Delayed Auditory Feedback?

Jun 9, 2010, 04:40 AM

No, I have not used this.
    But I heard about this, I took opinion about this with some therapist, they have not much positive about this.

I have not yet given up. I am using many methods simaltaneously to remove stammering.
    LIke breathing exercise, taking aurvedic medicine, reading loudly, speaking slowly etc. It's my wish to die a stammerer free.
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2010, 05:20 PM
    By the way, Wondergirl has lots and lots of resources available to her, because she's a librarian! :)

Jun 10, 2010, 11:18 PM

Dear Clough, Wonder girl,
    I need all of our help.
    Life has become like water in ponds, Lot of things to execute, but all remains only dream.
    Will you have any cure
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 11, 2010, 08:26 AM
    Dear Clough, Wonder girl,
    I need all of our help.
    Life has become like water in ponds, Lot of things to execute, but all remains only dream.
    Will you have any cure
    Have you tried any plan for a long enough time, or are you jumping from remeyd to remedy without giving each a good try?

Jun 13, 2010, 08:52 PM

Madam
    I am ready to do anything, to cure this.
    Do not angry with me, I need your help.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 13, 2010, 09:09 PM
    Madam
    I am ready to do anything, to cure this.
    Do not angry with me, I need your help.
    I am not angry with you. How long have you tried the teeth clenching exercise and how often per day? Did you give it a fair trial?
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2010, 10:43 PM
    True that, in many cases, ways of correcting something will take time to see even minimal results.

Jun 13, 2010, 11:51 PM

From last one month, I am using teeth crenching method, every Sunday 02 hours I am practising.
    Please let me know if nay modifications require.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cure for clingyness [ 8 Answers ]

I was hugged by my mum too much I guess I am really really really clingy, and some times verry paranoid I get worried when my girlfreind doesn't answere texts right away, and end up sending like 5 more until she replys I have a feeling this is going to ruin our relationship, It has with others...

Cure for palpitation [ 3 Answers ]

I am suffering from palpitation from last many years and it is more frequent recently. Since last few months I am facing financial crisis and am insecure about the future. I have taken cipralex, raxipra,zapiz,dapsol,depolate and a few such anti depressant and anti anxiety medicines but to no use. ...

What is the cure for eczema? [ 14 Answers ]

What's the natural way of curing eczema? I went to the dermatologists and she prescribed me topical steroid, I saw some improvements in the first 4 weeks thereafter non.What is the most effective way of curing eczema? Please help.

The Cure. [ 3 Answers ]

I believe this is where this type of question should be posted... I was curious if someone had any idea on how to convert a live DVD concert to the correct audio format... so I could play it on my iPod (nano) -- . I heard/read it somewhere that it's possible... My search on trying to find out how...

Getting off the cure [ 2 Answers ]

Having successfully quit smoking using Chantrix, I am wondering if I will experience cravings for cigarettes when I try to stop the medication. Although Chantrix has helped a lot, the withdrawal symptoms still wear you down and I am not sure if I will have the strengh to withstand another couple of...

View more questions Search