Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Solitude Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2006, 07:16 PM
    Christmas presents
    Every year. I have been buying my foster siblings' chidlren's presents. They never called to say thank you or buy any gifts for my children. When I come to visit my foster mother, they are nice to my children. However, I never send a christmas card to me as well. My foster mother is wonderful, she always buys gifts for my children for xmas and their birthday. I feel obligation to buy her grandchildren's presents.

I feel odd if I don not sent the presents to her grandchildren. How should I approach this topic for next year. I already brought for this year.

Any tips I would greatly appreciate.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2006, 08:36 PM
    I do not think you should feel any obligation to give a present. A present is not a term of obligation but an act done in the spirit of sharing. We all receive too much pressure to run out and buy things for people who may never even care about the giver or the gift. And yes, I know that giving does not depend on what we get in return but... there are times...

Instead of buying presents next year, why not announce to everyone that next year you are giving a donation to a charity such as Salvation Army, Toys For Tots, etc. If you do not have the funds, give your time as a volunteer during the holidays. Challenge your foster siblings to do the same. You will feel better and maybe they will find that the spirit of Christmas does not come under the tree.

You can do Christmas gifts on the cheap too - homemade things like jams or jellies, cookies, those mix in a jar treats, etc. If you have some favorite Christmas music, make a copy of it and give that CD mix to someone. You could make a coupon book of various things such as babysitting for a couple hours, a home cooked meal, etc. Just do not pressure yourself anymore.

Best of all to you.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2006, 11:39 PM
    With all due respect are you sure that they could afford to purchase presents for you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Christmas and PC [ 9 Answers ]

In Britain, we are hearing on the radio that 3/4 of all employers in the UK do not allow Christmas decorations to be put up for fear of offending other religions. As an atheist who enjoys Christmas for the giving and merriment, I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I would like to...

How do we avoid receiving presents we really don't want? [ 2 Answers ]

This Christmas is my son's first Christmas and I'm trying to figure out how to ask his grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. NOT to send him big presents (we have a small house), presents that require batteries and things that make a lot of noise. I'm know they will all want to get him something but...

Presents or not [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé and I both previously married. We are well past being "kids" that need things, and have enough stuff for several households. I feel that the invitations to our very informal wedding should indicate that presents are not necessary. My beloved, however, feels that there should be no...

Pt3 to how I get my Ex back presents; what not to do [ 3 Answers ]

Pt 3 to how I get my ex back presents; what not to do -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Well everybody who have read pt 2 of this saga knows about what's going on between me and my beautiful ex girlfreind, so here we go. Easter Sunday I get a...

Christmas [ 92 Answers ]

I was wondering what peoploe think about organizations like the ACLU trying to get christian icons removed from public schools. They go as far as saying that even the colors red and green count as icons for christmas and should not be used. It seems to me they are a bunch of people who fight for...

View more questions Search