Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtj0605 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2006, 05:59 PM
    Heat pump blowing breaker
    Heat pump/ Air conditioner Goodman Manufacturing Model# CPKE30-18 approx. 6 years old

Notice breaker was flipped while cleaning garage. Flipped breaker and heard it try to kick on. Never kicked on but kept trying. Flipped breaker off and went to look to see the unit. Didn't see any thing. Tried flipping the breaker but it flipped off. There is a buzz coming from the condenser, transformer? computer board area. Had an electrition in the summer replace the comdenser and put in digital Trane thermostat. Thermostat says aux. heat. Also the fuse outside looked fine but what do I know. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2006, 08:22 PM
    Turn your breaker off going to the outside unit and remove the front cover on the heatpump. If you do not notice any burnt wires it may be time to call a service tech. it may be a easy and cheap fix such as a run capacitor or start capacitor or may even just need a boost kit. Be careful a unit going to ground can hurt you!!
    turnerwest Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Dec 10, 2006, 09:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mtj0605
    Heat pump/ Air conditioner Goodman Manufacturing Model# CPKE30-18 approx. 6 years old

Notice breaker was flipped while cleaning garage. Flipped breaker and heard it try to kick on. Never kicked on but kept trying. flipped breaker off and went to look to see the unit. Didn't see any thing. Tried flipping the breaker but it flipped off. There is a buzz coming from the condensor, transformer?, computer board area. Had an electrition in the summer replace the comdenser and put in digital Trane thermostat. Thermostat says aux. heat. Also the fuse outside looked fine but what do I know. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    I Believe you have a "Grounded" compressor, of coarse it could be just a condenser fan motor grounded as well or even bot BUT in either case you may have a 10 year warranty on both parts... if you bought it at the time of installation. Eric
    turnerwest Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Dec 10, 2006, 09:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Top
    turn your breaker off going to the outside unit and remove the front cover on the heatpump. If you do not notice any burnt wires it may be time to call a service tech. it may be a easy and cheap fix such as a run capacitor or start capacitor or may even just need a boost kit. be careful a unit going to ground can hurt you!!!
    Please be careful of previous advice, it is NOTa wise idea to into an electrical device ESSPICALLY if you have on a little experience OR you have a situation like yours where you have a tripped breaker!
    mtj0605 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerwest
    I Believe you have a "Grounded" compressor, of coarse it could be just a condenser fan motor grounded as well or even bot BUT in either case you may have a 10 year warranty on both parts....if you bought it at the time of installation. Eric

I called a service tech and that was what he said. I just bought the house so I am checking on the waranty. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Electric Heat-Pump-No heat [ 2 Answers ]

I had a wall-mounted unit installed in a room in may of this summer. In the middle of the night the heat shut off and has not come back on since. It is an Amana, electric heat with heat pump unit. The cooling works, the heating setting does not blow air at all. When I remove the cover it says...

Circuit breaker blowing [ 5 Answers ]

When I run my dryer, I blow a circuit after about 5-10 minutes. Any suggestions?

Heat pump vs electric heat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a heat pump with a two stage thermostat, 1st stage is heat pump, 2nd stage is electric (resistance) heat. Is it ever more economical to run the furnace with resistance heat only, not the heat pump? I know that the outdoor temperature affects the ability of the heat pump to work, but is...

GE spacemaker washer/dryer blowing circuit breaker [ 3 Answers ]

My unit has started blowing circuit breakers. I assume it started when the exhaust tube disconnected and I was not aware. I have since re-attached the exhaust, but it still continues to blow the breaker. I have checked the plug also, I don't see nothing wrong. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search