Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lsnyder56 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2010, 09:37 AM
    Do single pole breakers hook black to breaker and neutral & grd to bonded neutral bar
    I have an Eaton Cutler-Hammer meter/breaker box. (MB816B200BTS-FLCH) I want to run a 20 amp circuit (underground wire) from this box through existing underground conduit to a receptacle for a dishwasher. This run would be app. 15' to 20' and from my main house panel it would be 40' to 50'. All breakers in this box are doubles at present. Black to one side white to the other side and ground to the bonded neutral bar. Can I use a single pole "BR" type breaker from this box for the 20 amp circuit by hooking black to breaker and neutral & ground to the bonded neutral bar? I want to avoide a sub panel for one circuit if possible.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 09:57 AM
    Can you show a photo of your panel? Not sure what you mean by "doubles".

Jun 8, 2010, 11:58 AM

The wireing diagram can be seen at

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Search...t=mb816b200bts

The 4th item down shows "Native Document" TD00502001E.pdf Page #13 top center diagram is for my panel.

Jun 8, 2010, 12:02 PM

The breakers already in this panel are (2) 125 amp breakers hooked together with a clip that go to the house, (2) 60 amp breakers hooked with a clip that go to the AC, and (2) 20 amp breakers hooked together with a clip that go to the well.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 01:30 PM
    If I count right, and you have three 2 pole breakers as shown in pic, then you used 6 of the 16 available breaker spaces, and you can use 1 pole breakers in the remaining slots.
    Attached Images

Jun 8, 2010, 02:52 PM

Thanks, I thought so. How do you wire the 1 pole breakers since there are not separate ground and neutral bars?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 8, 2010, 06:25 PM

In the main panel grounds and neutral occupy the same bar(s).

The only restriction to this is if you add a ground bar by screwing it to the back of the panel it can only serve as a ground bar.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do we need to bond neutral & ground in breaker box [ 5 Answers ]

I have noticed that in the Main breaker box we bond the neutral and ground togather. The questions are; 1- Why do we need to do so. 2- If I plug my drill in to any grounded outlet, why the ground wire is not carring any current as the neutral does and we can touch ground wire where as we can't...

Subpanel Neutral & Ground On Same Bar [ 3 Answers ]

I just met with an electrician. I want to install a dedicated circuit in a sub panel. Since I live in an old multi-unit, the sub panel only has a neutral bar. I ask the electrician what are you going to do with the ground wire? The electrician replied, "Since the neutral bar is bonded, you can...

Neutral & equipment ground bonded to panel [ 4 Answers ]

As a home inspector, we must determine if the neutral and equipment-ground terminal bars are bonded to the panel enclosures. When inspecting, I look for the green or blue colored screws or a copper bar attaching the neutral or equipment bars to the panel. My questions are; 1) What else...

In the Kitchen: 117v @ grd, 4v@ neutral. No coffee. [ 7 Answers ]

I came home tonight to find the kitchen outlets that usually work fine aren't working. The coffee maker won't work, the toaster oven won't work and the counter top griddle won't work. There are 3 receptacles in question: 2 duplex outlets down-line from a GFI. I tried testing and resetting the GFI...

What happen if you connect some grounds and neutral to the neutral bus bar and the do [ 1 Answers ]

The same conect some grounds and neutrals to the ground bus bar just using whichever bus bar is closest to the breaker so the wires don't have to travel all around the breaker box is that OK and safe to connect wires like that thank you

View more questions Search