Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2010, 06:35 PM
    Helen Thomas retires
    I am saddened to read that Helen Thomas has retired today. She is a great reporter asking all sorts of "touchy, tough" questions to the slippery politicians. I think she should not have aired her personal beliefs as she did though being a reporter but just stuck with the facts and reported the facts. She will be sorely missed. Who is now left to ask the really, really tough questions in the WH now? No one. She will be back even if it's a blog. For an old lady of 89 she sure is tough and still has all her marbles. I read a biography about Helen and I was quite impressed with the lady's energetic approach to life.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2010, 03:27 AM

She is a biggoted b*--- who has always harbored a hatred for Jews (she is of Lebanese descent so that probably explains it) .
    Her recent comment also displayed an unbelievable level of ignorance of the holocaust and the post WWII diaspora. The truth is that the Jews could not go home... especially to Poland .

And that wasn't the first comment she had made along that vein. Just last week she called the Israeli boarding of the so called peace flotilla "a deliberate massacre". What kind of respected journalism was that ? Throughout her career she spewed what Tony Snow accurately called "the Hezbollah view".

The fact that she was such a 'well respected 'journalist says much about the pathetic state of the American press.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2010, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    I am saddened to read that Helen Thomas has retired today. She is a great reporter asking all sorts of "touchy, tough" questions to the slippery politicians. I think she should not have aired her personal beliefs as she did though being a reporter but just stuck with the facts and reported the facts. She will be sorely missed. Who is now left to ask the really, really tough questions in the WH now? No one. She will be back even if it's a blog. For an old lady of 89 she sure is tough and still has all her marbles. I read a biography about Helen and I was quite impressed with the lady's energetic approach to life.
    It sounded to me like she had no time for the Jews in Palistine so she won't be greatly missed
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2010, 06:45 AM
    Helen Thomas was not a reporter, she was an opinion columnist. The White House Correspondents Assn is now (finally) reviewing the appropriateness of having an opinion columnist in her position.

But the incident does revive the issue of whether it is appropriate for an opinion columnist to have a front row seat in the WH briefing room.
    Good riddance, may she have a blessed - and quiet - retirement.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2010, 07:37 AM

she was an opinion columnist
    And mostly unread. I'd say in recent years she was a celeb. Taking up space.

As for who asks probing questions in the press pool... I'd narrow it down to 2 reporters . Jake Tapper of ABC ;and Major Garrett of Fox.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dylan Thomas? [ 1 Answers ]

My Dad sent me a letter recently with an extract from a book / short story written by Dylan Thomas... Listen it is the night in the dull, chill, squat chapel, hymming in bonnet and broach and bombazine black buttlerfly choker and bootlace bow. Coughing like nanny goats, sucking on mintoes,...

Wedding in St Thomas [ 3 Answers ]

I want ot get married in St in JAN 2004. Around 20 25 guests with air hotl from JFk New York. What is the best locaation to get married. I want really gorgous place. I want a fairtale wedding. Ay info is great . Thanks ::)

Helen Luitjens origianl water color [ 1 Answers ]

I bought this original water color at a yard sale and am trying to find out if it might be worth anything. If any ones about this artist please let me know. It is a good size picture approx. 3feet by 3feet and is in its original frame.

Helen [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. In the last year my periods have become very regular but 2 weeks before I am actually due on I become tired and start looking pale but am now getting worried as with my last period I started having big blood clots not small which I have never had before.Is this where I start to worry or is it...

View more questions Search