Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TanteMin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2006, 02:12 PM
    Where do I caulk a 3 panel shower stall?
    Hi-
    I have a small shower stall off the master bedroom. The 2 corner walls are tiled & then there is a 3 panel enclosure that sits on a base. When we had the 3 panel enclosure replaced 10 years ago, the installer said something about not caulking the inside where the metal of the panels meet the tile and base... or not caulking the outside where the metal meets the tile and base. I can't remember which... I recently caulked everything... the inside, outside, all around the bottom, and up the sides. It looked nice... but after about 2 weeks the caulk around the bottom near the door, got goopy & when I pushed on it a stream of water poured out. So now I have removed all the caulking and can't find the installation book that advises whether to caulk inside or outside and whether to caulk up the walls inside or outside. If I had the extra cash I'd have a one-piece unit installed & be done with it! But I don't so I'm stuck caulking and hoping it holds each time. Thanks in advance if anyone can help me. I'm going nuts with this thing! :eek:
    Thanks, Melinda
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 16, 2006, 10:20 AM
    Guessing you have a neo-angle shower stall. Last one I installed I caulked the seam where the bottom metal track meets the vertical metal tracks. (per instructions). May be your problem, lack of caulking here.
    Then I caulked where the metal track meets the tile inside and out side of the stall, then inside and out along the base of the shower door unit where it meets the base. Haven't had any call back on any problem.
    DannyBearMN Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2011, 08:59 PM
    I'm having the same problem although it's about whether to caulk at the seams where the 3 fiberglass enclosure pieces meet. The plumber didn't do it and is not available for me to contact. I'm also thinking that I'll have to let it cure for 72 hrs? I'm using a shower curtain so I don't have to worry about caulking the glass door.

I was told that even though a one piece shower is preferrable, it wouldn't fit in my house for a remodel and they're just for new construction.

... Danny
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 9, 2011, 06:15 PM

Hi Danny..

Your best bet would be to get the manufacturer's instructions and see what they tell you to do.

Otherwise, we are really just guessing and that is not going to help you, I promise. That is, of course, unless you can post a picture and even then we'd still be guessing. In my opinion, if you don't need caulk at the seams you don't use caulk at the seams... only becomes a problem down the road. However, if you don't caulk and you needed to caulk then you will have damage on your hands... *UGH*

Post a picture (find forum help if needed at the home page)... see if we can tell you more, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing new shower with no-caulk drain... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Experts: I'm new to the forum, and I'm not a plumber - but I'm doing my second DIY bathroom remodel and I have just a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with... I'm replacing a leaky 36x36 shower pan in our master bath. I selected a larger Swanstone solid surface pan,...

Caulk or Grout in Glass Enclosed Shower Stall [ 9 Answers ]

I live in an apartment building (I own the apartment I live in). We remodeled the bathroom when we moved in three years ago, and put in a glass enclosed shower stall where a tub once lived. The shower stall has large ceramic tiles on the floor, and smaller differently-styled ceramic tiles...

Shower stall installation help [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently begun pulling up my old and cracked slab in the basement and I am repouring the concrete a section at a time. I have started at the front of the house and I will work my way back in 8 foot increments until I have reached the back wall. Following this, I will install a platform for...

Turning walking shower stall into bathtub/shower combo. [ 4 Answers ]

Question: Current shower drain (2" pipe) runs 5 feet, under slab, to vent stack (5" cast iron vent pipe) of toilet. Will need to move the drain 3ft to wall for new tub. After moving the drain, the complete length of the pipe will still be around 5 feet. We will have to reduce the drain line...

View more questions Search