Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pawley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2010, 04:58 PM
    How do I respond when an employee asks to extend vacation days while on vacation?
    Employee asked for Monday off for vacay. Approved. Then, Monday evening, she called me to ask for Tuesday off. She is an employee who has done this before, giving reasons that have to do with her son and his father spending more time, etc.etc. I'm all for family time, but feel that this is distruptive - especially because she is a receptionist and someone has to fill in. I am inclined to say, OK, this time. But need to explain what happens when this type situation arises.. . Perhaps I've answered my own question?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2010, 05:47 PM
    Hi, pawley!

In my opinion, such short notice by her to you wouldn't be acceptable. Is there a written policy in place about how far in advance notice must be given by the employee to the employer, please?

Yes, it is a good idea to explain to her what happens when this type of things occurs.

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 7, 2010, 06:36 PM

You either say yes, if you don't care and can cover her position, or you say no, if you need her at work. If you are the boss and it is your choice then make the choice, that is why you make the big bucks ( LOL)

But to be honest I would have more issues with an employee calling me at home over this and not at least calling before the end of the work day. I would have said no, just because of that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Passport holder with prior felon over 10 years entry to UK for 10 days vacation [ 1 Answers ]

My partner has a felon over 10 years, not on parole etc. now clean, has a valid US passport, will there be any issues entering the UK? Iknow Canada won't let folks in but does the UK have the same rules? What websites would guide me to clear information? Current immigration/border patrol doesn't...

We dated & she went on vacation for 4 days and met somebody there. [ 4 Answers ]

I met this really great girl about a month and a half ago.We started dating,and everything got really great... we talked to each other every day,she communitcated things to me that she had never communicated to anyone else before.. genuinely dug each other and very very comfortable with each...

Employee rights on vacation pay already earned [ 7 Answers ]

If an employee earns vacation under the existing policy but has not taken it yet or lost it and the company changes their policy on vacation and this employee becomes no longer eligible for vacation, does he lose the vacation he had already earned before the policy changed? :confused:

Too soon to vacation together? [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for 7 months. Spring Break is coming up and I am going with my friends (4 girls, 2 guys) to Myrtle Beach, SC. My boyfriend at first had a BIG problem with me going- he still has some trust issues (afraid I'll cheat, etc.. ) So I talked to my friends and they...

I need a vacation! [ 2 Answers ]

I have some vacation time I can use, and I haven't been on a real vacation in about six years. I was thinking about a cruise just a short one, not too expensive. Any ideas. I will most likely have to go alone, so any tips on the that would be helpful as well. How much should it cost, what...

View more questions Search