Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    billl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2006, 02:13 PM
    Washing machine drain
    The washing machine drain backs up and overflows. I replaced the washing machine drain pump thinking it may have been weak. Did not help. The drain starts at the kitchen sink then straight to the main where the washing machine y ties in. Sometimes if a sink full of water is released from kitchen it flows out the washing machine drain. The kitchen drain flows very fast.

The line has been plunged, chemically treated and pressured flushed several times now.
    I just checked the vent, a bee's nest and some leafs which I removed. Still the line backs up and overflows using the washing machine. This main, I have another, is only 15' to the septic. I have opened the tank and watched the flow of waste water it appears very normal. What am I missing? This hookup worked well for 6 years till now.

Thank you,
    Billl
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 10, 2006, 03:02 PM
    Hi Bill,

You're missing the one thing you should have done from the git-go and that's to snake the roof vent from the kitchen or the washer vent. Put out enough cable to reach the base and about 20 foot more. Afterwards test and flush by cycling the washer. Good luck, Tom

Dec 10, 2006, 03:12 PM
    Thank you for the quick reply. I will try it tomorrow morning.
    Billl

Jan 9, 2007, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by billl
    The washing machine drain backs up and overflows. I replaced the washing machine drain pump thinking it may have been weak. Did not help. The drain starts at the kitchen sink then straight to the main where the washing machine y ties in. Sometimes if a sink full of water is released from kitchen it flows out the washing machine drain. The kitchen drain flows very fast.

The line has been plunged, chemically treated and pressured flushed several times now.
    I just checked the vent, a bee's nest and some leafs which I removed. Still the line backs up and overflows using the washing machine. This main, I have another, is only 15' to the septic. I have opened the tank and watched the flow of waste water it appears very normal. What am I missing? this hookup worked well for 6 years till now.

Thank you,
    Billl
    After weeks of cleaning the drain the washing machine drain still is not fixed and getting worse. I flushed the vent from the roof with a hose, I used a power washer jetter hose and lawn hose with pressure blatter attachment. Everyday for the last 3 weeks I cleaned the line all 12' to the septic. Turned on the washing machine as water is pumped from the machine the drain backs up and overflows. Thursday I start digging.

Jan 13, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by billl

I just checked the vent, a bee's nest and some leafs which I removed. Still the line backs up and overflows using the washing machine. This main, I have another, is only 15' to the septic. I have opened the tank and watched the flow of waste water it appears very normal. What am I missing? this hookup worked well for 6 years till now.

Thank you,
    Billl
    Billl

I dug the line. 3" cast iron from 1900's with a holes and roots. Replaced all 14'.
    The funny stuff: I like using a blatter on the end of a hose. Has really worked on the main.
    I inserted the blatter in the cut drain from the kitchen. Turnred the hose on and water started coming out the top as I went to grab the hose the pressure blew the bladder out, hit the ceiling then me in the head. Knocked me down a flight of stairs. Again I inserted the bladder. I was able to hold it there while my son turned on the pressure. 10 minutes later water was coming out of the drain in the septic. I had my son turn off the water to the bladder. The water in the septic came from up stairs bathroom the pressure on the bladder now removed caused back pressure of sewerage to fly all over me. I went to Home Depot thinking I turned off everything to the drain, I forgot the backwash to the filter. The kitchen flooded the basement was raining as the water came out of the kitchen sink. Washing machine was full of dirty water as well. I have a new jetter
    Hose. Never saw one work so I turned it on while holding it. Soaked
    It was fun looking back on it. Now the clean up.
    Bill
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 13, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Bill, I want to thank you for bringing a chuckle to these withered old chops. 60 years ago we called the "blatter",(did you mean "bladder"?) a "sewer bag".
    Tell me does the stand pipe still over flow? Consider installing a PVC compression fitting, (see image) on the stand pipe so that it couldn't overflow. Regards and stay dry, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine Drain [ 3 Answers ]

I currently have a top-loading washer that drains into a utility sink, which I understand to be permitted by code. I was wondering if there is a permissible way to drain the washer under the utility sink (perhaps by having the washer discharge hose connect to the sink drain or by having a washer...

Installing Basement Shower Drain with Washing Machine Drain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi folks: I would like to install a shower that drains into the same drain as my washing machine. Right now the washing machine drain, 1-1/2" ABS, comes in horizontally about 12" above the concrete floor into a 1-1/2" Tee on a vertical pipe. From this Tee, the vent goes straight up to the...

Washing machine Drain? [ 1 Answers ]

:( To whom it may concern; I am trying to help a friend that lives in New Jersey while I'm here for some time on business in Florida. I will be at her house over Thanksgiving and I want to take care of a problem she is having with her washer while I'm there. She purchased a top loading Maytag...

Basement drain hole.can I drain washing machine with this? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all.. im new here.ive owned my home for about 5 years and I'm still learing... my current dilemna is that I want move my wsher and dryer to the basement.I think I know how to handle the hot and cold water plumbing but I don't know what to do about the drain... now my basement has a drain hole in...

Replace toilet drain with washing machine drain [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how I would go about taking a toilet drain and turning it into a drain for a washing machine.

View more questions Search