Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2010, 02:13 PM
    Keppra (Medication)
    Can this medication Keppra

Cause bald spots or the losing of hair?

I get bits of info on the internet some say it is not a side effect and some say it is.

Anybody here take Keppra or know about this medication.

Thank you in Advance...
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2010, 03:18 PM

Keppra (Levetiracetam)

Alopecia (hair loss) is a user reported side effect with this drug. The reason you have difficulty finding information is that this adverse event did not appear in clinical trials which are the basis for required side effect listings. Rather, this side effect emerged “post marketing”, in other words from user experience reports. To date “data are insufficient to support an estimate of .. incidence or to establish causation” for the reported hair loss.

NOTE: One of the more detailed Rx sites is:

Keppra (Levetiracetam) Drug Information: Uses, Side Effects, Drug Interactions and Warnings at RxList
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2010, 03:20 PM

It is kind of disappointing because the person using this medication helps them with their seizures really well and actually feels a lot safer with this medication except for the losing of hair.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2010, 03:29 PM

While the sheet states that the alopecia usually abates after cessation, it makes no mention of being temporary, although that could be the case. Many times side effects are temporary.

Just from curiosity, does the patient experience any problems with upset stomach, vomiting, gastrointestinal problems, diarrhea?
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2010, 04:34 PM

None of those symptoms.

Although the medications have changed. In the past this patient was on dilantin on very high toxic levels at one time. Also the highest dose of lamatrogine. With those two combinations this patient was nausous lots, had lots of stomach problems and vomiting.

Eventually it did let up but the neurologist at the time would refuse to even consider it is the side effects to those medications.

Now this patient is under new care and dilantin was completely taken off slowly and for a while the patient was doing well with lamatrogine and clonazepam at a low dose.

Had mri and tests done and after keppra was added there was significant improvement in seizures.

They increased it very quickly and taking 2000 mg per day.
    First week or so the patient was moody and sleepy but seemed to adjust well to the medication and those side effects calmed down.

Now it is just down to the hair.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 7, 2010, 04:42 PM

Epilepsy Foundation eCommunities Forums - Hair Loss - Lamictal? Keppra?

But yes, a simple web search showed pages of info or people posting about the hair loss. But then bald is beautiful
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2010, 04:44 PM

Bald might be beautiful on me, being a man.

Fr.Chuck telling that to a young lady with long beautiful hair might be a different.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this because of my medication? [ 3 Answers ]

I take a dose of 75mg of effixor once a day. Last week I ran out of pills and stopped taking them for 3-4 days. I got really sick and finally had to go to the hospital for a refill.I Started taking them in the morning, which is what your supposed to do, I always used to take them at night. Ever...

Know about a medication [ 2 Answers ]

Yes I need to know what kind of medication this is?Yellow round pill,one side has a M on it,the other side has the numbers 595

Seizures and keppra [ 2 Answers ]

I have seizures and my doctors cannot completely fix them. I have been on a lot of mediactions, but now my doctor just put me on keppra and I want to know if anyone else is on it. I notice that when I take the pills I get seizure like movements but I am fully aware of them. I have not been falling...

View more questions Search