Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Prabal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2010, 10:23 AM
    FICA taxes for F-1 Student filing taxes jointly?
    Does an F-1 Student have to pay FICA taxes if their spouses are working in the country on H-1 Or L-1 visa and they file their taxes jointly as married.
    I know that for individual filing I am exempt from these taxes. I have been on F-1 for a year and will be getting paid for my internship here.

Check out some similar questions!

F-1 student and FICA taxes [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My question is regarding a 5th year F-1 student on OPT. 2009 is the last year that I was a non-resident alien for tax purpose, and I have been exempt from paying FICA taxes. From 2010, I will probably be a resident-alien for tax purpose, and I was wondering if I need to pay FICA taxes...

F1 student and FICA taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I came to US in Aug 2004 as F-1 student. Does this mean when I file for taxes this year I should file for FICA? Also I read some other posts where it says if you are a registered student then no FICA needs to be paid. Is that true? If I have to pay FICA, how can I calculate how much? ...

Filing Federal Taxes Jointly and State Taxes Separately [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are both on Active Duty in the Military, and we were married in May of this year so this will be the first year filing Jointly. Is it sensible to file joint federal taxes and separate state taxes this year (Wisconsin and Maryland) even though we are both stationed and living in...

F-1 Student query regarding FICA taxes [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am foreign student, who entered US in dec 2004. I am currently working in MI on a CPT for completion of my phd. For the year 2008 (when my CPT began), I was taxed for FICA by my employer, for which I got deduction, citing the IRS regulations that F-1 students are exempt for such taxes for...

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.